The Student Room Group

Alcohol %Proof

So just been debating with friends, agreed to disagree. I'm sure many of you, like we did, can have a good guess at this, but I was hoping someone could give me a definitive answer.

Which contains more alcohol;

1 shot 40% vodka
2 shots 20% vodka

Common sense tells me it's the same. However, after they used the word proof and volume several times they concluded that there is more alcohol molecules in the 1 shot of 40% vodka. Trivial question? Yes. Will I lose sleep tonight? Thankfully not.
The proof is usually roughly double the ABV.
Reply 2
Yes, I'm pretty sure it's measuring the exact same thing.

100 degrees proof for alcohol occurs at 57% ABV.

So in conclusion, I'd be inclined to believe (as common sense would have it) that 1 measure of 40% ABV = 2 measures of 20% ABV.
So long as you drink them both, you'll never notice the difference :wink:
Reply 4
KizD
So just been debating with friends, agreed to disagree. I'm sure many of you, like we did, can have a good guess at this, but I was hoping someone could give me a definitive answer.

1 shot 40% vodka
2 shots 20% vodka

Common sense tells me it's the same. However, after they used the word proof and volume several times they concluded that there is more alcohol molecules in the 1 shot of 40% vodka. Trivial question? Yes. Will I lose sleep tonight? Thankfully not.

just drink it and see
KizD

1 shot 40% vodka
2 shots 20% vodka

they should be the same, but again the % alcohol is rounded up or down, so it could have been 41%-42% and instead of 20% the others could have been 18-19% i guess.
now give me the vodka so i can tell you for sure :biggrin:
KizD

1 shot 40% vodka
2 shots 20% vodka

Logically the same, but it's neither here or there with these figures.
Assuming the errors of the percentages are negligible.

When you comsume a shot of 40% vodka, you 'waste' a residual volume of y, so the corresponding 'amount' of alcohol lost would be 0.4 * y
When you consume two shots of 20% vodka, in each shot you waste also a residual volume of y, but since you have two shots, the total volume wasted is thus 2y. The amount of alcohol lost would be 0.2 x 2y = 0.4y.

Thus there is not difference.
Reply 8
MR_JR
So long as you drink them both, you'll never notice the difference :wink:

hehe
Reply 9
They don't make 20% vodka do they?
Reply 10
Tescos do!!

Latest

Trending

Trending