Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

what type of foundation brush should I get?

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    hi I'm going to buy a brush for my foundation (using Laura mercier silk creme) as at the moment i just use my fingers, and don't really like the finish it gives me. I'm going to buy a brush from Real Techniques - I heard of this brand from YouTube beauty channels. BUT, I'm stuck as to whether I need a stippling brush or a foundation brush? RT does them both, and I'm thinking of getting the foundation brush as thats what it's for, but I don't really get what a stippling brush does.
    any ideas, and any thoughts on which type of brush to get? (doesn't have to be necessarily real techniques-just in your opinion, which is better)
    thanks!!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I use the Real Techniques Core Collection - it includes the stippling brush and the foundation brush (plus a contour and concealer brush).

I apply my foundation with the foundation brush initially and then use the stippling brush in a circular motion to really make sure my foundation doesn't look streaky. The stippling brush is by far my favourite out of the collection! It makes my foundation rub into my skin like a second layer of skin - its perfect.

Also, if you're thinking of buying both the foundation and stippling from Real Techniques you may as well buy the Core Collection which cost me 21.99 from Boots. The 2 brushes cost around £8-£10 separately, so the Core Collection is great value.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have the core collection too and it's awesome. But it's a buffing brush in the pack not the stippling brush, they sell that separately. But I prefer using the buffing brush with my liquid foundation anyway. So I'd definitely recommend this collection
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    get one like this Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mac-190-foundation-brush.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	7.9 KB 
ID:	140234
    hmm my opinion about the stipling brush is still not definite, I believe the foundation brush (good quality) gives a better/more flawless finish
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The foundation brush simply applies the foundation to the skin so that you can mix it in quickly. It can leave a streaky finish. The stippling brush is where you pat the foundation onto your skin in circular motions. It leaves an airbrushed finish and you will 100% notice the difference.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the replies guys! i decided to order the stippling brush...though i may invest in the core collection in the future thanks!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 8, 2012
New on TSR

What are your A-level predictions?

Join our AS and A2 results day chat thread

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.