The Student Room Group

Rescue Remedy

Scroll to see replies

Original post by moya
Well, I think you possibly have proper anxiety problems, I don't want people to start taking propranolol ect for normal nerves :smile:

Yeah, I was diagnosed with an anxiety disorder.

Although it depends just how nervous OP gets over exams and presentations, if it's cripplingly so then perhaps a visit to his doctor might be recommended over herbal crap.
Original post by Renal
Good job the exam wasn't on statistics and evidence based veternarying...

veternarying isnt even a word :s-smilie: cop on to yourself !

i doubt you know anything about horses so don't try to act morally superior, you wouldn't be able to get the same results. I've worked at riding schools, stud and a racing yard not to mention i studied at a equine college and im going to do another equine course in sept.
Reply 22
Original post by Rescue Remedy
veternarying isnt even a word :s-smilie: cop on to yourself !

i doubt you know anything about horses so don't try to act morally superior, you wouldn't be able to get the same results. I've worked at riding schools, stud and a racing yard not to mention i studied at a equine college and im going to do another equine course in sept.
That's nice, you must be very very cleverer especially since you know better than everyone else...
Original post by Miracle Day
Thought I'd give it a go to calm my nerves during exams, results days and presentations. It should arrive tomorrow.

What do you guys think of it?

I was 'advised' to get the dropper one for my driving exam. I still failed 4 times due to being a nervous wreck. So I don't think it works, in my case at least!
Original post by Mushi_master
Youl haven't disproven what I said in the least, I know it has a mixture of plants in it - what I'm trying to say is that natural products are also filled with chemical compounds, a huge mixture of them infact with such a large list of plants.

Each plant contains many different chemical structures, each of varying amounts depending on the age/rate of growth/habitat etc. of each plant - therefore the exact amount of chemicals from each one remains unknown; this leaves you with a solution of a whole concoction of chemicals (some of which may have pharmaceutical properties, therefore = a drug).

Plus, something 'natural' doesn't make it better for you, just think of the many poisons out there. I also refer you back to my original point, stating that the drugs produced as 'medicines' are made so as to react in the best possible way with your body, whereas these plant compounds are unchanged in this sense, making them less effective - and possibly, more harmful.

With regards to side-effects, the side effects of each chemical from these plants may be as big or infact bigger than compared to lets say, prozac. However, due to european legislation, Bach's flower remedy et al. are not classified as drugs, rather as 'supplements', therefore the side-effects are not listed or recorded. Atleast in prozac or any other standard pharmaceutical we know exactly what the side-effects are.

So which do you really think is safer? A single chemical compound which has been rigorously tested and proven safe, or a concoction of chemicals with extremely little data about. For the record, I don't think rescue remedy is dangerous per se, I just loathe to find someone automatically poo-poo medication and make false claims that natural products are safer; and unfortunately I know rather alot about this subject.

whats wrong you couldnt comment on the other stuff i mentioned about trying other relaxing techniques instead of going to your doctor and asking for pills. maybe im a purist but i just think there is better ways to deal with anxiety and stress and general life problems by going to a psychologist or starting a new sport/hobby or just opening up and talking about it.

after a certain amount of time if the patient is still feeling the same then yes go to your doctor and get whatever drugs he/she hands you out hopefully they will work and will only be needed for a short time. im not pretending to be a chemist or a doctor, im just giving my opinion. which everyone is allowed to do. because unfortunately i know too many people that are addicted to certain substances and they use them to get away from the **** thats bothering them in their life. they have burned alot of bridges cause of either being a alcoholic or taking drugs. i know someone who nearly died on a night out because he was mixing anabolic steriods and alcoholic. i dont want to see someone i care about becoming chemically dependant or damaging their body beyond repair. my mother has chronic respiratory problems i see her popping pills everyday and going to the doctor twice a week. she had to retire early her health got so bad. so maybe this thread touched a nerve with me ok.
Original post by Renal
That's nice, you must be very very cleverer especially since you know better than everyone else...

I never stated i was smarter than everyone else. you are just putting words in my mouth now which is rude. im passionate about horses i know alot about them and i keep learning. I like to excel, at something i've been keen about having equine career since i was a little kid. before you think im crazy bach flower remedies have been proven to help so many horses that have been abused and had injuries.
Reply 26
I never stated i was smarter than everyone else. you are just putting words in my mouth now which is rude. im passionate about horses i know alot about them and i keep learning. I like to excel, at something i've been keen about having equine career since i was a little kid. before you think im crazy bach flower remedies have been proven to help so many horses that have been abused and had injuries.
Sauce? Or do you think we'll take your word for it?
Original post by Renal
Sauce? Or do you think we'll take your word for it?

sauce ? what the hell you on about :tongue: well its the internet isnt it you cant believe everything you read. at the end of the day its my life i dont need any reassurance from you :smile:
Reply 28
sauce ? what the hell you on about :tongue: well its the internet isnt it you cant believe everything you read. at the end of the day its my life i dont need any reassurance from you :smile:
Who cares about what you want?

If you want to peddle a product by claiming it's miraculous healing properties you're going to have to show us the trials that demonstrated it's benefit over placebo or alternative.

If you want to tell us that you 'know' that you have the troof, but haven't actually bothered to research it or understand it, we'll stop this conversation because it's really not worth anyone's effort to listen to you.
Original post by Renal
Who cares about what you want?

If you want to peddle a product by claiming it's miraculous healing properties you're going to have to show us the trials that demonstrated it's benefit over placebo or alternative.

If you want to tell us that you 'know' that you have the troof, but haven't actually bothered to research it or understand it, we'll stop this conversation because it's really not worth anyone's effort to listen to you.

I never peddled anything nor did i say it was miraculous. there you go again putting words in my mouth. can you do anything else ? i gave a opinion not a sales pitch.

I didnt say i want anything do you actually read other people's posts on this or do you just jump to conclusions. I already ended the conversation. you are being asinine. i did a assignment on various alternative therapies to try for recovering horses. i have researched it. and no i cant duplicate the research i did last year right here. dont need to justify myself to you
whats wrong you couldnt comment on the other stuff i mentioned about trying other relaxing techniques instead of going to your doctor and asking for pills. maybe im a purist but i just think there is better ways to deal with anxiety and stress and general life problems by going to a psychologist or starting a new sport/hobby or just opening up and talking about it.

after a certain amount of time if the patient is still feeling the same then yes go to your doctor and get whatever drugs he/she hands you out hopefully they will work and will only be needed for a short time. im not pretending to be a chemist or a doctor, im just giving my opinion. which everyone is allowed to do. because unfortunately i know too many people that are addicted to certain substances and they use them to get away from the **** thats bothering them in their life. they have burned alot of bridges cause of either being a alcoholic or taking drugs. i know someone who nearly died on a night out because he was mixing anabolic steriods and alcoholic. i dont want to see someone i care about becoming chemically dependant or damaging their body beyond repair. my mother has chronic respiratory problems i see her popping pills everyday and going to the doctor twice a week. she had to retire early her health got so bad. so maybe this thread touched a nerve with me ok.

My post never suggested he should be taking anxiolytics, just pointing out the fact that because something claims to be natural, it doesn't automatically make it safe for the list of reasons I've already suggested. Far too many people are far too quick to claim to be experts in this area and to dismiss generic medication, with absolutely no regulated knowledge or training on the subject, its very frustrating.

Now of course I am aware of the problems with certain drugs, but for huge numbers of people these problems are minute in comparison to the problems they fix. In comparison, a herbal product which is essentially no better than a placebo may not have any side effects per se, as it have no effects whatsoever!

I realise this touches a nerve with you, but you're taking it completely out of context. Yes, your mother may be on lots of medication, but imagine how unwell she may be without it. The medication is not the problem, its the condition, and its far better to give a heavily trialled medication with proven benefits than to try any old crap which may not help in the slightest, meaning big health problems go completely unchecked.

Now this thread is a totally different situation, the OP probably just needs to learn to cope with exam stress, we all get it, and medication should only be used if its a very complex debilitating problem. I'm just trying to point out the dangers of claiming such wonders of something like an expert when the evidence is completely contrary.
Reply 31
It works for me and I don't really mind whether it's a placebo or not. If it works, it doesn't matter how it works!

I put 4 drops into a bottle of water and focus on the taste of the 'medicine' in it to calm me down. It's just that little bit of extra-self-awareness that brings me back from panic-land!

Quick Reply

Latest