Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Something a bit different

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I currently have a 2005 Seat Leon and its never really been me, I only got it as I got if from a family member for a good price. I don't do enough miles and can't justify having a newish/boring car. So I was thinking of looking for something a bit different I love classic cars and I have a 1967 VW Beetle but don't want to have a proper classic car as a daily driver, so I was thinking of something 80'sish a future classic. Any suggestions?

Love this!
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DATSUN-SUN...item256ef8d9f9
    MMMMMMM beige.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Haha, That really is unique, love the colour, go for it!
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x Yazzy M Star'h x)
    Haha, That really is unique, love the colour, go for it!
    , I love the colour too and how oddball it is with both Nissan and Datsun badges due to the change over year. I would definatly go for this if it wasn't so far away.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    They have got to be trolling to think that car is worth 500 quid.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Herr)
    They have got to be trolling to think that car is worth 500 quid.
    What? Its a 1 owner car with 33000 miles on the clock I thought that was a bargain. But saying that there is little information on the ad it doesn't say if its taxed and tested. Anyway I was not serious about this particular car I was just using it as an example.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AgentSushi)
    What? Its a 1 owner car with 33000 miles on the clock I thought that was a bargain. But saying that there is little information on the ad it doesn't say if its taxed and tested. Anyway I was not serious about this particular car I was just using it as an example.
    Kinda prefer buying cars with a bit of pedigree to it. Especially if it is being bought in view of it being a collectors item someday.

1980s era cars? Admittedly am not such a fan of 70s and 80s era cars, part of the reason to it is I lived to see many 70s era cars being treated as obsolete cheap rubbish junks while 80s era cars just weren't that cool. I saw plenty of these Nissan Sunnys and worst still I saw them a lot in Asia where they were the epitome of the uncool car to buy plus my memories of 1980s era vehicles aren't that fantastic as a lot of them that my parents or relatives owned were rather temperamental.

As for 1980s cars that I'd someday want to buy to collect...

i) BMW M635CSI.
    ii) Saab 900 Turbo (preferably a 3dr or a convertible)
    iii) Alfa Romeo 75
    iv) Mercedes W124 300CE
    v) Mercedes W126 500SEC
    vi) Audi Ur-Quattro.
    vii) Lancia Delta HF (Though I'd probably get a Saab 600 versions of it)
    viii) Volvo 780
    xi) VW Golf GTI 16v
    x) Rover SD1 3500

But other than that, there isn't much from the 1980s I'd buy. There were more cars from the 90s that I'd rather buy as a future classic. In fact if ever I did buy a car from this era, the only way I would buy one if it was at some point in time owned or driven by someone famous or was going for a bargain. Well apart from the Audi, BMW and Mercedes that is.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    What about a Ford Capri?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Herr)
    Kinda prefer buying cars with a bit of pedigree to it. Especially if it is being bought in view of it being a collectors item someday.

1980s era cars? Admittedly am not such a fan of 70s and 80s era cars, part of the reason to it is I lived to see many 70s era cars being treated as obsolete cheap rubbish junks while 80s era cars just weren't that cool. I saw plenty of these Nissan Sunnys and worst still I saw them a lot in Asia where they were the epitome of the uncool car to buy plus my memories of 1980s era vehicles aren't that fantastic as a lot of them that my parents or relatives owned were rather temperamental.

As for 1980s cars that I'd someday want to buy to collect...

i) BMW M635CSI.
    ii) Saab 900 Turbo (preferably a 3dr or a convertible)
    iii) Alfa Romeo 75
    iv) Mercedes W124 300CE
    v) Mercedes W126 500SEC
    vi) Audi Ur-Quattro.
    vii) Lancia Delta HF (Though I'd probably get a Saab 600 versions of it)
    viii) Volvo 780
    xi) VW Golf GTI 16v
    x) Rover SD1 3500

But other than that, there isn't much from the 1980s I'd buy. There were more cars from the 90s that I'd rather buy as a future classic. In fact if ever I did buy a car from this era, the only way I would buy one if it was at some point in time owned or driven by someone famous or was going for a bargain. Well apart from the Audi, BMW and Mercedes that is.
    Ok the term future classic may not be the right one. I have unique taste in cars I want something different, I'm not bothered about performance or style, looking for something quirky. Also I do not want to spend the sort of money that the cars you quoted go for.

My idea of cool is very different to most, a beige interior Datsun sunny is über cool to me.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andyhornby)
    What about a Ford Capri?
    I like the later capri's, but prices for those seem to have been going quite high.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Capri's are shocking in terms of parts avaliability.

What about a Porsche 924? The 2.0 litre engine is bomb proof.
    They rust from the inside out, mind...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you buy that you have to leave it absolutely original.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd love one of these http://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/...8-datsun-240z/

Such an amazing looking car
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arron17)
    I'd love one of these http://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/...8-datsun-240z/

Such an amazing looking car
    That's a nice one.... getting up there in price as it is already a collector car.

(Original post by JC.)
    Aren;t they mostly Cortina / Granada parts??

(Original post by AgentSushi)
    Ok the term future classic may not be the right one. I have unique taste in cars I want something different, I'm not bothered about performance or style, looking for something quirky. Also I do not want to spend the sort of money that the cars you quoted go for.

My idea of cool is very different to most, a beige interior Datsun sunny is über cool to me.
    Okay fair enough... the Alfa if you can find one won't be that expensive unless it is in mint condition... though parts can be rather pricey and these days getting harder to source. Quirky? Well that is one quirky car when new, my mum drove one when I was younger. Prices are already appreciating as it was the last RWD Alfa and one that didn't use any Fiat parts.... beige interiors? Yup, they had them too In leather mind...
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Herr)

Aren;t they mostly Cortina / Granada parts??

The older the capri the harder it is to get spares. Consumables aren't too bad, though.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)

What about a Porsche 924? The 2.0 litre engine is bomb proof.
    They rust from the inside out, mind...
    I really like 924's, I went to look at a 924 turbo last month that had been in a garage for 7 years and hadn't been started, some old boy had it. The cost of a turbo replacement put me off, It was only up for £700, 2 owner car with 70000 miles on the clock and was basicly mint interior amazing and it didn't even have a cracked dashboard were they always go. I kind of regret not taking the risk and going for it now.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Landie_Man)
    If you buy that you have to leave it absolutely original.
    Of course I wouldn't have it any other way, I would be tempted to leave that single front spot on though
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C288523

Triumph Acclaim? Don't Know much about them did they have Honda engines? I know they were based on the Mk2 Honda Civic.

Btw I wouldn't pay what they are asking for this one.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Wow thats amazing!! Yep, Honda engined.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    You did well to walk away from the 924 turbo. Anything for the turbo engine is REALLY hard to get. If you can get it it'll be silly expensive too. The standard cars are worth a look though?

Triumph Acclaims are great little cars. They were part of a joint project between honda and triumph. The one you've linked to probably represents about the best acclaim on the market at the moment. Values of Acclaims have been going up steadily the last 5 years or so.
    The thing about these 80's classics you're looking at is they aren't much money anyway so it makes complete sense to buy the very best you can afford.

You might also consider something like a meastro or a montego? Or, if you want to go a little newer, a Honda Concerto?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    You did well to walk away from the 924 turbo. Anything for the turbo engine is REALLY hard to get. If you can get it it'll be silly expensive too. The standard cars are worth a look though?

Triumph Acclaims are great little cars. They were part of a joint project between honda and triumph. The one you've linked to probably represents about the best acclaim on the market at the moment. Values of Acclaims have been going up steadily the last 5 years or so.
    The thing about these 80's classics you're looking at is they aren't much money anyway so it makes complete sense to buy the very best you can afford.

You might also consider something like a meastro or a montego? Or, if you want to go a little newer, a Honda Concerto?
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Austin-Mae...item4ab636bd03
    Don't think I could live with one of these though

I can't remember the last time I saw a Honda Concerto now I think about it.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 24, 2012
New on TSR

What is sixth form like?

Share your story!

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.