Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

EU Civil Service - closing date 15 April 2012

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Those of you with more than one language may be interested in this - http://careers.guardian.co.uk/eucareers - note the significantly higher starting salary too.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would have gone for this, had I not succeeded at the FS. Is it possible to move from HR in the UK to the EU, do you know?

TIA
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I really cant find out how to apply to this! I've followed all of the links, but cant find out where to apply. Any tips please?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellie_flower)
    I really cant find out how to apply to this! I've followed all of the links, but cant find out where to apply. Any tips please?
    See http://europa.eu/epso/index_en.htm
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi All,

Applications actually close tomorrow at 1200hrs.

http://europa.eu/epso/apply/today/ac...d=5343&lang=en
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellie_flower)
    Only just saw this forum!. I had a link and everything - but I agree, it is possibly the most difficult website to navigate I've been to so far.

It's very similar to FS though as you have to go to an AssCentre (except they don't pay your expenses - although they do for the 2nd one).

This is THE one I want, however it is annoying that the whole process won't end until January-ish. In terms of jobs, there are great prospects. Working in the EU also means you don't get taxed on income, you can claim back on VAT. The working day is nice. What's not to like?!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just in case anybody has missed this. But they have revealed how many people have applied for each role.

A massive 45,357 have applied for some form of role using EPSO!.

Should I bother going to my test??!!

(see: http://www.eu-careers.info/2012/05/0...and-per-field/ )
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UnderPost)
    Just in case anybody has missed this. But they have revealed how many people have applied for each role.

you already heard back from them then?

EDIT: I'm such an idiot, I was expecting an email from them and I totally forgot that I had set up an account with them on their servers!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

Definitely. Stats were similar last year, and I asked myself the same question. Went along for the test anyway, and come August got an invitation to the next stage. The odds are tiny, but you might as well go. A further incentive perhaps would be that the 2013 EPSO will be limited to those who failed the 2010 EPSO computer tests, so you may not get another chance for a couple of years if you dont try this time.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lm222)
    A further incentive perhaps would be that the 2013 EPSO will be limited to those who failed the 2010 EPSO computer tests, so you may not get another chance for a couple of years if you dont try this time.
    Really? Why is that?

Yes did my computer test in Manchester the other day. Found the numerical questions very easy compared to other schemes. But still not that confident after seeing those numbers!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Really? Why is that?

Yes did my computer test in Manchester the other day. Found the numerical questions very easy compared to other schemes. But still not that confident after seeing those numbers!
    I'm not sure on the exact legal reasoning behind the decision, but I met a friend in the Commission when i was in Brussels for testing the other week (btw, total nightmare, all the computers crashed for about an hour mid-test), and she said it was as a result of an ECJ decision in the Pachtitis case. If you search the main EPSO website (not the blog-style 2012 site) for Pachtitis+EPSO you will probably find the details.

EDIT: Here's the link - http://europa.eu/epso/apply/news/news124_en.htm
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lm222)
    I'm not sure on the exact legal reasoning behind the decision, but I met a friend in the Commission when i was in Brussels for testing the other week (btw, total nightmare, all the computers crashed for about an hour mid-test), and she said it was as a result of an ECJ decision in the Pachtitis case. If you search the main EPSO website (not the blog-style 2012 site) for Pachtitis+EPSO you will probably find the details.

EDIT: Here's the link - http://europa.eu/epso/apply/news/news124_en.htm

Very strange - seems to be that he wasn't given feedback, and prometric calculated the computer test and not the selection board. All on the 'first stage' of the recruitment process.

Oh right? are you in Brussels for the Ass.Centre part of the recruitment process? or is it something separate.
    What I've found weird is that if you do go through all the processes, you won't get a job until January- it seems a very long time to essentially assess the best 150.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's a strange decision indeed. I'm not sure what prevented EPSO from saying 'sorry, it wont happen again, feel free to apply for all forthcoming ones' and taking no further action.

I'm based in the Netherlands at the moment and so Brussels isn't so far. This time it was for the computer testing but I did the AC stages in Sept and Nov of last year there too. It's remarkably similar to the Fast Stream processes (just in your second language).

The results for last year's competition actually didn't come out 'til February... the people on the list may then have to wait for a job for up to another 12 months. So you can be in the process, for the same competition, for almost 2 years (from registering your application to actually getting a job). It's a very very slow process, that makes the UK Fast Stream seem like greased lightening in comparison.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lm222)
    It's a strange decision indeed. I'm not sure what prevented EPSO from saying 'sorry, it wont happen again, feel free to apply for all forthcoming ones' and taking no further action.

I'm based in the Netherlands at the moment and so Brussels isn't so far. This time it was for the computer testing but I did the AC stages in Sept and Nov of last year there too. It's remarkably similar to the Fast Stream processes (just in your second language).

The results for last year's competition actually didn't come out 'til February... the people on the list may then have to wait for a job for up to another 12 months. So you can be in the process, for the same competition, for almost 2 years (from registering your application to actually getting a job). It's a very very slow process, that makes the UK Fast Stream seem like greased lightening in comparison.

Wow, two years seems ridiculous.

I did the fast stream (and I think, if I remember your u.name that you did too). I thought it was very efficient (apart from the waiting for the A.C results). Although from what I read, it is the part after the A.C results that takes the mick... unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) I never got that far in the process. But the A.C was a fantastic experience, and the report after it was invaluable (although sometimes cringeworthy to read).

I can imagine that the A.C with EPSO is very frustrating- knowing what you want to say, but just can't get it out (because you can't figure out what something is in French!)

With the EPSO v FStream questions- I found the EPSO ones much easier because I finished all of them with these, whereas with FStream I sometimes didn't have a chance to finnish verbal reasoning.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    hey. got my EPSO score back today. anyone else? does anyone know what the thresholds are likely to be?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lm222)
    hey. got my EPSO score back today. anyone else? does anyone know what the thresholds are likely to be?
    Yes. Didn't the email (on the epso account inbox) say whether you are through or not? Mine says I am however it seems confusing if I'll be invited to an Assess centre as it says something like 'going' through the list.

Theres also a link saying on the email saying where your score is compared to others e.g top 20% or 50%.

I did best in my second language question (Part D)... even though I didn't know half the words!.

It's taking a very long time anyway!.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it's confusing, basically you can pass the exam but then not make it to the assessment. I know the cut-off will be somewhere within the top 20% because the initial numbers are so big and the number invited to the AC (for the EPA at least) is likely to be not much more than 200). I think they rank people then work down, checking qualifications etc. Last year the next email saying yes/no to the AC came a week or so later. Good luck!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lm222)
    Yeah it's confusing, basically you can pass the exam but then not make it to the assessment. I know the cut-off will be somewhere within the top 20% because the initial numbers are so big and the number invited to the AC (for the EPA at least) is likely to be not much more than 200). I think they rank people then work down, checking qualifications etc. Last year the next email saying yes/no to the AC came a week or so later. Good luck!
    Thanks - and you too!.
    I've no chance at all!. I'm in the bottom section (unless they are in %'s and then I'm in the middle section). Either way it seems unlikely!

Only reason I did it was because they need English speaking people qualified in Law. Clearly that hasn't and won't be looked at until you get to the interview stage!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 3, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE English mock revision

Revise together & check out past papers

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Public Sector Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.