The Student Room Group

What's a good salary?

I know this is a hard maybe even impossible question because it depends on a lot of variables.

However, realistically what's a good/average/bad salary?

The reason I ask is that a friend of mine said his mum was on a salary of roughly £19,000 and said that's an excellent salary. Yet, I know someone who's on a salary of roughly £35,000 and they say it's average.

Personally, I'd say;

£5k-£15k is not enough, 16k-30k is average, 30k-60k is good 60k-90k is excellent and 90K plus is the bees knees!

But, I just want to see what other peoples opinions are of what a good/bad etc salary is :smile:

Thanks, Steve

Scroll to see replies

£20,023.67 is a good salary IMO
Reply 2
Depends what area you live in and whether you have any dependents such as children and/or a partner who doesn't work.

Personally, a good salary to me would be £35k a year.
I think it would be around.. 40k per annum
40 upwards. I think the average is about 30k isnt it?

Negs! It was on the bbc website!

"According to ASHE, "mean" gross annual earnings across all employee jobs in 2008 came to £26,020. You may think that's rather a high "average" salary. And if you look just at the figures for full-time employees, that figure rises to £31,323"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8151355.stm
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
The numbers in the OP sound reasonable brackets.

It depends on personal circumstance somewhat, there will be people who say 'but I live on £10k a year and I'm fine so £12k is a good salary'. By definition anyone on under £25k is on less than the average salary so that can't be classed as 'good', it has to be higher.
I'm in a school full of rich kids, and well with my parents earning a combined £120,000 , I'm on the bottom end of wealth. And my house sucks --> beauty of living in London.
In London, alone, a good salary starts at 60k.

EDIT : why all the negging? ok I shouldn't have said that my house "sucked", but hey it's old, hot water is a pain in the a***, and walls are so thin, we can hear the neighbours (both sides) talking.
(edited 12 years ago)
£20,000+
What jobs do your parents have?
Original post by Felchingman
I'm in a school full of rich kids, and well with my parents earning a combined £120,000 , I'm on the bottom end of wealth. And my house sucks --> beauty of living in London.
In London, alone, a good salary starts at 60k.

Average salary is about £23k, anything above that is good.
I'd pretty much agree with what the OP says, a good salary is anything around £20,000 and up.
Reply 13
Original post by Lee Moon 89

Does it matter?

If they said civil servants, management consultants or theatre stars what would you do with the information?
In Britain alone 40K beyond is good but need to consider the tax and other costs.
Original post by JollyGreenAtheist
Average salary is about £23k, anything above that is good.

Is that average for a college/University student or average for an everyday job such as a cinema worker, garden center worker, ASDA staff?

Original post by Quady
Does it matter?

If they said civil servants, management consultants or theatre stars what would you do with the information?

No it doesn't PARTICUALLY matter I'm just curious as this is a heck of a lot of money, why does it matter to you that I ask, ?
Reply 16
Depends on the job, and how much hard you have to work for your money.
Original post by Lee Moon 89
Is that average for a college/University student or average for an everyday job such as a cinema worker, garden center worker, ASDA staff?

National average
Original post by Sam Walters
I think the average is about 30k isnt it?

No. Its a fair bit less.
Original post by JollyGreenAtheist
National average

So average for both graduates and non graduates?

Latest

Trending

Trending