Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Opinions on Crowd Funded Gaming??

Announcements Posted on
Vote for your favourite games from Q4 in TSR's Game of the Year Awards! 28-11-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Chances are you've heard of the website Kickstarter, or more precisely the unprecedented amount raised by Tim Schafer (tales of monkey island, grim fandango, psychonauts) using the site to fund a new point and click adventure game

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...fine-adventure

This led to a surge of developers wanting to bypass the need for publishers to make the game they want to make, with examples such as obsidion, project takedown, leisure suit larry, and most recently a new shadowrun game (instead of the awful fps version for 360 and PS3)

So therefore i thought i'd get the opinions of TSR on the matter, how long do you think this is going to last before the public get bored of it, will this make it harder for indie developers to do the same thing now that big names are doing it, will we see a difference in developer-publisher relationship because of it??
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think the first handful of games to be made this way are going to do exceedingly well, but then people will grow tired of it. And it'll fade away again. As rubbish as some of the publishers can be, they do exist for a reason.

I'm quite looking forward to Wasteland 2 and the Leisure Suit Larry remakes, btw
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danb_nhkn)
    will we see a difference in developer-publisher relationship because of it??
    If anything, the relationship would probably become worse. Publishers are notorious for wanting to invest in safe projects, thus why every year the biggest-selling titles are usually sequels. If a developer pitches an idea that's a little out of the norm, a publisher is worried about investing as they pretty much see 'different' as a gamble - it could be amazing, but it could be a shambles, and they don't want to take the risk of it failing and them losing out. If developers are more inclined to use this for 'zany' ideas rather than waste time trying to convince big publishers then the publishers will be left just continuing to churn out sequel after sequel and possibly having to be a bit forceful to buy a developer if one of their ideas proves to be very successful...but in terms of possibilities for the consumer, it's fantastic. Developers can use a site like Kickstarter to gain capital to develop the more unusual games that publishers wouldn't touch with a ten-foot barge pole. In theory, if it took off then there could be lots of new IPs created to a professional standard, and it's been years and years since we've been able to say that.

how long do you think this is going to last before the public get bored of it
    Depends. If developers can deliver the goods then it could have a bright future for a long time to come...but if they take the money and make crap games, people might be put off investing in future titles, and just a few 'big' titles flopping could be disastrous, especially in the early going.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I played Football Superstars for years. It was around well before EA Sport had their Be A Pro mode (the only reason I play Fifa too), and for a community funded and free to play game it was amazingly technical, and very very fun.

Then they started using the credit/bond system where you have to buy **** to even begin to compete, and even being able to buy levels. And its not cheap either. Completely destroyed the game, and pretty much the players that made the game what it was, and worth playing with left, after years of levelling and playing, kids with credit cards could outcompete you for everything after a few weeks of playing.

Since then I've little to no interest in crowd funded gaming. Yes, you can make games the way you want to, but they usually end up ****e in the long run.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you have ever wondered why all games are now grey, why every mmo is a clone of WoW, why sequels are simple copy-pastes, it is because of publishers such as EA, THQ, and Activision.
    Crowd sourcing removes these companies from gaming

Therefore I do hope all games go down this path as it ensures that the devs get a profit and have no limitations on innovation.

(Original post by Jim-ie)
    I played Football Superstars for years. It was around well before EA Sport had their Be A Pro mode (the only reason I play Fifa too), and for a community funded and free to play game it was amazingly technical, and very very fun.

Then they started using the credit/bond system where you have to buy **** to even begin to compete, and even being able to buy levels. And its not cheap either. Completely destroyed the game, and pretty much the players that made the game what it was, and worth playing with left, after years of levelling and playing, kids with credit cards could outcompete you for everything after a few weeks of playing.

Since then I've little to no interest in crowd funded gaming. Yes, you can make games the way you want to, but they usually end up ****e in the long run.
    Why would a crowd source game end up being ****ed? That makes no sense. It is not an mmo or a game that would be continued after release. It would be released, patched a few times, then the next project would come along...just like every game at the moment.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't agree with it personally, but I can see how it might move the industry forward.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think it's great. With a little help projects like this can come to fruition:
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...rry-come-again
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm a little skeptical to be honest. Some developers will fail to deliver their promises, or the games won't be as fun as envisaged, leaving some backers disappointed. The current kickstarter wave is clearly nostalgia-induced, Whilst i love oldschool games, what I love more is discovering that 'new' game that does something differently or brings back that initial excitement that old school games brought. I think that once this wave of jumpstarting old IP's is done, then the projects will become more innovative and original. Having said that, I'd kickstart a Baldur's Gate project in a flash.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 17, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.