The Student Room Group

AS AQA B English Literature

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Advice on symbolism in Enduring Love would really be helpful right now
Original post by LFS
You talk about how they contribute to meaning i.e how they contribute to the telling of the story. As to your second question, define what you mean by narrative? If you mean voice/point of view then yes, if it's relevant that should be one of the aspects of narrative you talk about. Try not to cover all the aspects in the question as there isn't enough time, pick out the ones which are the most important in telling the story! :smile:

If you need any more help feel free to ask me, I've been blessed with fantastic teachers! :biggrin:

Thanks for your response. By narrative I meants the story, so for example in a Hardy poem he tells teh story of a past rememberence of love,when the narrator speaks of putting an arm in a basin. This probably seems a really silly question but my teachers are awful and just make me mudled. You are lucky to have good teachers!
I'm doing
The Great Gatsby
The Road
The Rime of the Ancient Mariner
W.H. Auden's collection of poems
Reply 103
Original post by Adrianna123
I think it'll be Godiva, Mariana or Tithonus. They haven't come up for a while and have only come up once unlike the others.

Definately agree!

I think for section B OPENINGS HAS TO COME UP NOW!
Reply 104
for Gatsby do people generally think it'll be chapter 6 (as the others have all been) or 7 (because it was just the spec paper) or is that too obvious? AQA are crafty afterall...
Reply 105
Guys I'm doind Gatsby, Mariner and The Road for section B, anybody want to help me with section B. In particular openings and symbols/motifs
Reply 106
Original post by zakkaz
Guys I'm doind Gatsby, Mariner and The Road for section B, anybody want to help me with section B. In particular openings and symbols/motifs

Awwh, i've got plans and two A grade essays for those topics.. but my books are totally different to yours lol
Original post by pink pineapple
I'm doing Gatsby,Rime and Kite Runner too!

Terrifying right?! I know Gatsby and Hardy, but I would rather avoid the other two... :'(
Reply 108
hey id rather NOT do Hardy im more confident o kite runner and ancint mariner
Original post by rooosy
for Gatsby do people generally think it'll be chapter 6 (as the others have all been) or 7 (because it was just the spec paper) or is that too obvious? AQA are crafty afterall...

January 2009: Chapter Three
June 2009: Chapter Four
January 2010: Chapter Five
June 2010: Chapter Nine
January 2011: Chapter Eight
June 2011: Chapter One
January 2012: Chapter Two

They seem to have the chapters on a cycle: Three, Four and Five, then shift to Nine and Eight, then to One and Two, etc. I'm going to go ahead and say that I think it's Chapter Six, and, if not Six, Seven.

Like you said though, this is AQA. Guessing their plans is almost impossible. Chapter Six/Seven is the obvious bet, but maybe it's a trap...:eek:
Reply 110
Original post by fxyz
Awwh, i've got plans and two A grade essays for those topics.. but my books are totally different to yours lol

I wish I wan't studying some of these texts urghh!... but GOOD LUCK ... :biggrin:
Reply 111
Original post by rivernile
Thanks for your response. By narrative I meants the story, so for example in a Hardy poem he tells teh story of a past rememberence of love,when the narrator speaks of putting an arm in a basin. This probably seems a really silly question but my teachers are awful and just make me mudled. You are lucky to have good teachers!

OH I see! You should outline the story very briefly at the beginning, and then just explain how this message is conveyed through aspects of narrative throughout the rest of your essay!

I know I am very lucky! I feel for you, this exam is one of the hardest to understand in terms of what you need to write because of all the AO's and when to use them, so you really need a good teacher. Like I said, here if you need any more help! :smile:
I'm doing Gatsby, Enduring Love, Rime of the Ancient Mariner and Goblin Market (By Rossetti.) Not going to lie, read about three chapters of Enduring Love in total, so am terrified for this exam! xD
I hate this exam so much, I got a C in January and I'm resitting. I left revision a bit late this time but it really is horrendous I feel for all of you who are sitting it!
Praying for a B!

Does anyone have an essay plan for Chapter 6 of Gatsby? I'm seriously stuggling to find methods.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 114
Original post by LFS
OH I see! You should outline the story very briefly at the beginning, and then just explain how this message is conveyed through aspects of narrative throughout the rest of your essay!

I know I am very lucky! I feel for you, this exam is one of the hardest to understand in terms of what you need to write because of all the AO's and when to use them, so you really need a good teacher. Like I said, here if you need any more help! :smile:

Heya.. Do you think its appropriate to add your own reception of certain aspects? Like for example saying something along the lines of 'this wouldn't be taken too well in today's Western society because of media-fueled ideas about love/ secularized opinions on religion / taboo of X idea' ... sorry for being so vague! lol
Does anyone know what the section B or section A Small Island questions were for Jan 2012? :smile:
Reply 116
I'm doing Great Gatsby, Enduring Love and Auden , any tips?
Original post by DrMeredithGrey
Does anyone know what the section B or section A Small Island questions were for Jan 2012? :smile:

Section B were either
What are the significance of names in the 3 texts you have studied...
Something about genres, I went for the names one so I cant really remember the other sorry!
Reply 118
Original post by fxyz
Heya.. Do you think its appropriate to add your own reception of certain aspects? Like for example saying something along the lines of 'this wouldn't be taken too well in today's Western society because of media-fueled ideas about love/ secularized opinions on religion / taboo of X idea' ... sorry for being so vague! lol

I don't think it's necessary to do that. You only need to put in relevant context, which would be things like the nature of society at the time of writing the novel, e.g in the Great Gatsby you can talk about the Jazz Era. Comparing it to today's society and beliefs is not really needed, it may just waste your time! :s-smilie:
Reply 119
Original post by DrMeredithGrey

:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending