The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Parents usually just don't get it, my mum will try to talk to me about TV programmes or whatever whilst i'm obviously working, or start asking me to do inane things - you just have to stand up for yourself, tell them that you're working so they need to be quiet and leave you alone.

But you're old enough to just ignore what they want and go the library if you need to, don't let them mess your exams up!
I get this, my dad isn't deliberately trying to stop me working, he just never took an academic route so doesnt get how much work it requires. I have taken to walking past him with a big pile of books and saying "I'm going to revise until (insert time here), ill come and help you do the bathroom for a bit after that" (we are putting a new bathroom in) then if he disturbs me in that time quite clearly saying "Dad, I'm revising now, I will come and talk to you in a bit". It has taken a few weeks but he gets the message now :smile:
Say your gonna go out and get smashed with your friends then when they let you "rebel" and go to the library :smile:
Explain to them that they are stopping you from working and damaging your future.
If they continue to make you do stuff, I think you need to question whether they actually love you.
Reply 24
I would just be straight with them, no shouting, no tantrums, no name calling or accusations, just simply lay it down straight. "Look, Mum, Dad, this is important, I need to get on with this, I am trying really hard here to study, these exams are important & hard. I need you to back off and leave me alone to get on with this. I will give 1 hour a day to chores or time with you or whatever but the rest of the time you must let me get on with this. If you don't I will have to go stay at a grandparents/aunts/friends house till the exams because I am seriously stressing that I am going to fail if I continue to try to study here & not be allowed to. PLease understand how important this is & please ttry to leave me alone to get on with it, or I will have to stay elsewhere or defy you & go out to find somewhere quiet." and follow it through. You're not a baby, you can go out without their permission, if they don't let you get on with it just walk out, go to the library or someone else's house & that's that. They need to support you or you need to find a way to support yourself.
Tell em to jog on when they ask for something
Reply 26
Just tell them that the hours of X-Y are your study time, and that it is vital for them to leave you alone. The important thing is that you tell them very clearly - they need to be under no illusions that you're not serious. Shouting is often a bad idea, but it might grab their attention at least.
Reply 27
Original post by HelloGoodbye
I actually don't know what to do, they're driving me crazy.

I literally just wrote that sentence and my dad just asked me to help out with something, they never let me do any work and I got Cs and a D in my January exams because of that and I'm retaking all my exams so now I have 8 exams next month and I have no time to study.

I've told them I need to revise but they couldn't care less and I know I'm probably gonna end up retaking my AS year because of them.

I always feel so stressed out nowadays and they won't even let me go to the library, I swear the actually just want me to fail.

Sorry for the rant but I really don't know what to do and I know I'm not gonna get into any good Unis with Cs and Ds :/

my parents make me feel like this especailly my dad
on school days therfore i useually stay untill like 6 and get there early sometimes.... then try get some work done from like 8-9 sometimes if im not to tired beacause they usaully watch films at that time... youve just got to work your way around it

its pretty anoying though sometimes....
That's a tricky situation. When my mum was being annoying, I would give her a time limit when I would be unavailable e.g. "I'll be down in an hour". Other than that, I'd tell her direct that I was going to the library or that I was just going shopping and go to the library anyway.

When school starts up again, you could stay after school maybe or revise during your lunch break?
Man Up and rebel against your parents-Seriously,you don't have do everything they ask and just pop out and go to the library-don't let them rule you!!!
Reply 30
Well tell the college and get them done for it ! Oh and I find that the middle finger works quite well in situations like this
Reply 31

I literally just wrote that sentence and my dad just asked me to help out with something, they never let me do any work and I got Cs and a D in my January exams because of that and I'm retaking all my exams so now I have 8 exams next month and I have no time to study.

I've told them I need to revise but they couldn't care less and I know I'm probably gonna end up retaking my AS year because of them.

I always feel so stressed out nowadays and they won't even let me go to the library, I swear the actually just want me to fail.

Sorry for the rant but I really don't know what to do and I know I'm not gonna get into any good Unis with Cs and Ds :/

Perhaps you should stay after school to revise. Tell your headteacher or head of year this information. They need to know and if they were as good as my school they will help you. Parents like yours would drive me crazy, so many parents want their children to do more work and your one of the rare ones who don't need telling, yet you can't!
(edited 11 years ago)
Back in the shire, i only had one relative. His name was bilbo. He prevented me from having the one ring but i did stop? No. I got it off him and destroyed it. Whilst doing so, i got my finger bitten off by smeagol.

The moral of this story is that you sometimes have to go through hell to achieve what you want. You sometimes can't stop it but there are other options. You can say "no".
Come down with a stomach bug or migraine that lasts for exactly a week.... Then you can stay in bed and revise.

Say your friend needs some help cleaning out their room/ choosing an outfit/ washing the car, but just go to the library instead. Or say you need to go shopping.

Go to a relatives house and ask if you can revise there, even better stay the night.
Original post by Sarahs.cheddars
Come down with a stomach bug or migraine that lasts for exactly a week.... Then you can stay in bed and revise.

Say your friend needs some help cleaning out their room/ choosing an outfit/ washing the car, but just go to the library instead. Or say you need to go shopping.

Go to a relatives house and ask if you can revise there, even better stay the night.

I'm sure that advice is still required 3 years later
Original post by midgemeister7
I'm sure that advice is still required 3 years later

Whoops I found this via Google.... Wonder if he ever did get to revise....
Original post by Sarahs.cheddars
Whoops I found this via Google.... Wonder if he ever did get to revise....

Imo he's still sat there waiting for the next time his dad asks him to nip to Tescos

I know how you feel.
My mum has severe adhd, bipolar disorder and a severe drug addiction.
It annoys me to see all of these comments on here acting like you are lazy.
She refuses to leave me alone or to stay quiet.
I envy my friends so much because their families understand study time is study time.

I usually study after school. But when I do, i'm usually too exhausted to remember anything, and the library closes at 5 (same time as school) which is pretty useless if you ask me.

My mum is also aggressive and violent, and to some people- yes, some parents will kick down the door in rage- my mum did it several times.

We also live in a flat and I am not someone who can listen to music and study.
My mum will likely barge in and pull out my headphones or be too loud for music to cover up.

I hate how all of these middle class idiots think it's easy.
Or people with caring families.
Believe it or not, some families are too selfish to give a damn about their child's education.

The ideal world for me would be to live in a quiet home where people allowed me to study, I could have the library open till midnight. I could have a nap after school and not have to worry if i will be okay to study or not in the evening.

The world isn't perfect people, get down from your high horses.
I've learnt the hard way **** family
maybe try talking to a teacher about your issue. Maybe then the teacher could sit down with your parents and stress the importance of your exams. That is the only thing i can think of.

Good luck with your exams next month ! :smile:

Latest