The Student Room Group

Smoking Experiences

Scroll to see replies

Original post by calumsteele1

for instance it has been proven to be protective against parkinsons disease, and a few other conditions aswell.
and comparing smoking to shooting heroin..really?

Really, tobacco companies do not advertise this much which surely they would if it was true. And how big was the sample? Probably about 10 people.

Fair enough on the heroin but was just trying to show what I was seeing.

Original post by Wilfred Little
All of what you said is true, hence why I'm a non-smoker now.

My post was more about nostalgia than actually thinking it's good to smoke.

Yeah I am an ex-smoker too( the worst kind of smoker lol).

Get ya but from some peoples responses I thought I would add a word or two of sense.
Reply 41
Tbh I just don't really like the taste of cigarettes when I'm sober. I get the buzz from them and they make me feel better but usually if I try to smoke a cigarette while sober I just get fed up of the taste half way through and stub it out, leaving the rest for another day. Unless I've rolled it myself - them I'll smoke all the way through but tbh I'm so bad at rolling that usually they're only half filled, or all the tobacco falls out or something

Menthol cigarettes, however, I much prefer... :redface: Usually smoke 0-1 per day, more often than not it's 0 - but when I'm especially stressed I smoke up to 4 per day. Doesn't seem that much but it's enough to completely de-stress me.

Oh but when I'm drunk... there's no point in counting how many I get through.
Reply 42
I tried smoking a couple times, it felt vaguely nice but I felt like I had horrible breath immediately which totally wasn't worth it.
Original post by SubAtomic
Really, tobacco companies do not advertise this much which surely they would if it was true. And how big was the sample? Probably about 10 people.

Fair enough on the heroin but was just trying to show what I was seeing.

true but do alcohol companies advertise the potential benefits of having the occasional glass o f wine?
im not sure i dont have the studies to hand but it is an indisputable fact
have a look at this some of the other notional benefits of smoking listed here come with figures
http://www.forces.org/evidence/evid/therap.htm

dont get me wrong im not saying smoking is good for you by any stretch what i am saying though is its hyperbole to say it is unilaterally bad for you.
Reply 44
I'd describe myself as a social smoker at most :/ As in, the only time I bother smoking is when I'm out.
Tried my first one when I was about 15/16, didn't smoke much after that as I couldn't get fags, and now sometimes buy ten when I'm out.

I used to enjoy it, and it is a good way to meet people, and I've found it helps with shyness, 'cos it's something to do with your hands.
However, waking up the next morning with a disgusting taste is horrible, and standing outside in the freezing cold isn't that great :frown: Also, while I smoke very little, I'm a bit paranoid about the effects. My lungs are ****ed as it is, and my dad had a heart attack in his 40s from smoking :/ and, I don't want to get into the habit of it tbh. One of my friends started smoking fairly early, and when we hang out, she'll get through like 5 in half an hour just sitting in the park :frown:

As for cravings, the only time I've ever really had one is during properly stressful days in work, and even now I'm starting to crave a caffeine hit (smoking feels really 'dry' to me, and I'd rather feel refreshed).
Original post by restoration
Hi I tried smoking for the first time today... And I am guility enough to say I kind of enjoyed it in a way I found it interesting, got a sort of buzz from it and liked the taste sort of... I obviously know smoking is bad for me can people here just tell me their experiences of smoking, what they like/what they don't like? What they find benefits them from smoking

I found it very confusing as I have always been anti smoking.

Cigarettes are for women and transsexuals.

This is how tobacco should be really enjoyed:

I'm partial to a good corona, myself, though it gets to be quite the expensive vice. I did smoke pipes, though you have to sacrifice all sense of style and dignity if you smoke in public, nowadays.
Reply 46
ive been smoking for 4 years now. and i just enjoy it. i used to only smoke in social events, but now i prefer a cigarette at home on my own, to just release tension and stress. i wouldnt like to smoke when im in my 30's. but for now i see no need to quit. maybe once i finish uni. but no way in hell can i go through exam periods without a smoke!
Reply 47
I started almost a year ago and will be quitting on Monday. I enjoy it and the social aspect, but smelling like smoke, tasting like smoke and the need to have one first thing in the morning are getting the better of me. Its really a pointless habit.
Original post by Bagration
Haha I still remember my first sober cigarette. Richmond, leaning out my bedroom window and I thought "OH, so this is why people smoke!" Of course before that I'd tried smoking at parties because I was curious and thought "If so many of my friends do it, it must have some positives."

Be careful what you get into. That was coming on five years ago and I smoke a pack a day now. You'll find that some doors are closed to you as a smoker... but some are opened.

It's basically like being really hungry; that's how I'd describe it.

Lmao no its not :P
Reply 49
I had a fetish of wanting to use my body like a chimney since I was young. I love the smoke running through all the veins in my body
Original post by calumsteele1
true but do alcohol companies advertise the potential benefits of having the occasional glass o f wine?
im not sure i dont have the studies to hand but it is an indisputable fact
have a look at this some of the other notional benefits of smoking listed here come with figures
http://www.forces.org/evidence/evid/therap.htm

dont get me wrong im not saying smoking is good for you by any stretch what i am saying though is its hyperbole to say it is unilaterally bad for you.

Yes I understand what you are getting at and suppose if people were capable of understanding what moderate use means there wouldn't be so many problems, my gran smoked nearly all her life and she is 80+ now.

On the alcohol thing and nearly everything else we try to enjoy. There are always some studies refuting what has been said by another study. So I say have at it but stay in control as we may have to suffer the consequences if unable to do so.
Yes I understand what you are getting at and suppose if people were capable of understanding what moderate use means there wouldn't be so many problems, my gran smoked nearly all her life and she is 80+ now.

On the alcohol thing and nearly everything else we try to enjoy. There are always some studies refuting what has been said by another study. So I say have at it but stay in control as we may have to suffer the consequences if unable to do so.

thats true, to be honesyt all of these things are fairly hit and miss like with smoking some people like your nan will live a very full life regardless of smoking like a chimney some will have a somewhat less enjoyable existence it. i just put it down to luck really :rolleyes:

here here to your last comment.

it is amusing though how people disagree so wildly on the benefits/dangers of certain items... take the DM for instance if theyre to be believed absolutley every single food/drink/pleasure in existance will kill us of cancer:rolleyes: :L
I personally think alcohol is much, much worse than smoking. If I had children and they smoked, I'd be unhappy. If they were out drinking, I'd be absolutely furious.

Smokers are looked at negatively in today's society, drinkers are looked at as "legends", and because alcohol is a hard drug that means disastrous consequences imo.

Alcohol wouldn't be as bad if people drank moderately, a glass of wine in the bath after a hard week at work or something, but how many people actually do that? A lot of people are dependant on it, and encourage each other to "man up" when they stop drinking. It's embarrassing.
(edited 12 years ago)

thats true, to be honesyt all of these things are fairly hit and miss like with smoking some people like your nan will live a very full life regardless of smoking like a chimney some will have a somewhat less enjoyable existence it. i just put it down to luck really :rolleyes:

here here to your last comment.

it is amusing though how people disagree so wildly on the benefits/dangers of certain items... take the DM for instance if theyre to be believed absolutley every single food/drink/pleasure in existance will kill us of cancer:rolleyes: :L
Reply 54
Smoke all you want, just do it alone or in a special little smoke chamber, where you can all give each other cancer, instead of non smokers.
Reply 55
Original post by ohirome
I started almost a year ago and will be quitting on Monday. I enjoy it and the social aspect, but smelling like smoke, tasting like smoke and the need to have one first thing in the morning are getting the better of me. Its really a pointless habit.

Good Luck :smile:.It's not easy but as long as you are in the right mindset, you'll do it.
Original post by slylee
Smoke all you want, just do it alone or in a special little smoke chamber, where you can all give each other cancer, instead of non smokers.

Ex-smoker detected.
Reply 57
Original post by Annie72
Good Luck :smile:.It's not easy but as long as you are in the right mindset, you'll do it.

Not gonna lie, I've tried through willpower alone a few times and gave up simply because I'm always around smokers who enjoy puffing when we're out (and we're out a lot haha). My loan comes in on Monday, so ill be buying patches and gum. Im quite good at doing things if I know I've paid something towards it haha.

I figure if I can at least cut it to once or twice on a night out every now and again ill be happy. I smoke constantly at the moment, but its my own fault. Funny thing is I HATED smoking until last year then got hooked on that lovely floaty feeling you get when you first start. Now I absolutely hate that feeling. Silly silly smokes.
(edited 12 years ago)
Smoking is a terrible habit that is just so hard to break! I used to smoke a pack a day during my teenage years. I quit 5 years ago and despite finding the smell of smoke repulsive I still crave nicotine. I dream about smoking and feel like having a cigarette more often than you can imagine.

After quitting I noticed that exercising got easier, my teeth would no longer stain and I saved so much money!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 59
Original post by ohirome
Not gonna lie, I've tried through willpower alone a few times and gave up simply because I'm always around smokers who enjoy puffing when we're out (and we're out a lot haha). My loan comes in on Monday, so ill be buying patches and gum. Im quite good at doing things if I know I've paid something towards it haha.

I figure if I can at least cut it to once or twice on a night out every now and again ill be happy. I smoke constantly at the moment, but its my own fault. Funny thing is I HATED smoking until last year then got hooked on that lovely floaty feeling you get when you first start. Now I absolutely hate that feeling. Silly silly smokes.

I quit by going cold turkey.Really dont know how I have got this far tbh, but am very proud of myself for doing so.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending