The Student Room Group

Smoking Experiences

Scroll to see replies

It's nice, relaxing, gives you a nice buzz and it's something to do. I've smoked before when i've been on holiday or something (have a few packets in a week or something) but it's not something I could let become a habit. It's too expensive and bad for your health. That said, if someone offered me a cigarette at a pub/bar/party/club/gig whatever i'd say yes definitely. It's a good way to chat with someone. It's only really consistent smoking that's bad for you.
Original post by ohirome

I figure if I can at least cut it to once or twice on a night out every now and again ill be happy.

If you can do this without slipping back into old habits then you are a stronger person than I. T'was a nightmare at first for me as had to stop going out and drinking on weekends just to cement the habit of not smoking. According to my dentist getting on the alcohol and smoking are very bad due to the opening of the pores in the mouth, same for eating and smoking probably. But drinking and smoking went hand in hand for me.

Original post by velociraptor

After quitting I noticed that exercising got easier

You weren't training hard enough lol. But yes this was one of the main reasons for me giving up and sticking to it, the running and circuit training became much more productive.

Original post by calumsteele1
Some people like your nan will live a very full life regardless of smoking like a chimney

She certainly did smoke like a chimney, on the other hand though my other gran had a fare few strokes and she was and is a smoker.

it is amusing though how people disagree so wildly on the benefits/dangers of certain items... take the DM for instance if theyre to be believed absolutley every single food/drink/pleasure in existance will kill us of cancer:rolleyes: :L

People will always disagree as there are a lot of armchair experts out there lol:rolleyes:

What is DM?

But yes one week something is going to kill us if we indulge then the next it is beneficial. Pesticides on fruits, fat in nuts and seeds etc etc. Media are dumb haha.
(edited 12 years ago)
I've smoked a couple cigarettes before off of my friends. I was mostly intrigued by the awesome tricks they did, like french inhaling and smoke rings :smile: One time, this girl gave me a thin, minty cig and I really loved the taste, so refreshing! But she told me it wasn't very manly to smoke the skinny ones, unfortunately. In the end I gave it up becuase of the horrendous smell on my fingers :frown:
Reply 83
[QUOTE=SubAtomic;37148254
She certainly did smoke like a chimney, on the other hand though my other gran had a fare few strokes and she was and is a smoker.

People will always disagree as there are a lot of armchair experts out there lol:rolleyes:

What is DM?

But yes one week something is going to kill us if we indulge then the next it is beneficial. Pesticides on fruits, fat in nuts and seeds etc etc. Media are dumb haha.

mmm i had a Grand Dad who used to smoke like an utter chimney from what my mother said his death was less than pleasant :/ although apparently fighting the solomans really didnt help :/ :L but my other Grand dad smoked all his life and lived till 97 so hey ho bit hit and miss aye

the DM is the Daily Mail or the Daily Fascist as some have aptly named it :rolleyes:

yar i know what you mean :smile:
Reply 84
Anyone tried e-cigs? I'm currently puffing away on mine! It's a little bit more hassle but I'd advise everyone who enjoys smoking to give them a go - feels pretty much exactly the same as smoking but without the smell or cancer.

Also, I'm surprised by the lack of the anti-smoking brigade in here :tongue:
Original post by Joe-89
Anyone tried e-cigs? I'm currently puffing away on mine! It's a little bit more hassle but I'd advise everyone who enjoys smoking to give them a go - feels pretty much exactly the same as smoking but without the smell or cancer.

Also, I'm surprised by the lack of the anti-smoking brigade in here :tongue:

never tryed one i always heard they were like those evil like inhalers niquitine give out though and just taste horrifically chemically and make you choke :P

the nice folk at ryanair did try and hawk me one on the flight back from Greece though :rolleyes:

you should check out the TSR smokers society before the thread died down there was a large flame war on the pros and cons of it :colone:
Original post by cl_steele
mmm i had a Grand Dad who used to smoke like an utter chimney from what my mother said his death was less than pleasant :/ although apparently fighting the solomans really didnt help :/

Sorry bout your grandad sounds like he had a poo time.:frown:

It is hit and miss I think.

And that is what I was meaning about dumb media, they need to print something whatever it is. So yeah DM and all the rest are scaremongers or maybe just mongers:biggrin:.
Reply 87
never tryed one i always heard they were like those evil like inhalers niquitine give out though and just taste horrifically chemically and make you choke :P

the nice folk at ryanair did try and hawk me one on the flight back from Greece though :rolleyes:

you should check out the TSR smokers society before the thread died down there was a large flame war on the pros and cons of it :colone:

Haha there are so many out there I'm sure a lot are gonna be exactly as you described :tongue:

If you get a decent one though, it really can just replace cigs perfectly IMO.

I smoked for over 5 years and switched to these in February and have barely even wanted to smoke since! I've not actually tried to quit and I do still have the odd cig now and then but it's just that the e-cig just completely simulates the feeling of smoking for me. Suppose it's different for other people though.

Thanks, I'll give it a look.
Original post by Bagration
You'll find that some doors are closed to you as a smoker... but some are opened.

Wait what? what doors are closed and what are opened? :holmes:
Original post by Joe-89
Haha there are so many out there I'm sure a lot are gonna be exactly as you described :tongue:

If you get a decent one though, it really can just replace cigs perfectly IMO.

I smoked for over 5 years and switched to these in February and have barely even wanted to smoke since! I've not actually tried to quit and I do still have the odd cig now and then but it's just that the e-cig just completely simulates the feeling of smoking for me. Suppose it's different for other people though.

Thanks, I'll give it a look.

whats the one you use? i may give it a go, this habit is becoming way to expensive :colonhash: £7.60 a pack where i am!!!:fuhrer:

mmm see i dont think i was ever addicted i just liked smoking, i could go for months with out them if i felt the need other times just chain smoked every day :rolleyes: so if i ever wanted to get put off fags id just buy something god aweful like londis that did the trick :colone:

mmm i must give this a go now :P
I don't think I've ever smoked while sober, but when I have the very occasional cigarette with friends after a few drinks (we're talking less than 1 per month here) I actually find it quite nice, but a lot of it is the fact that it's a novelty.
Reply 91
I smoke about 5 a day(down from 20 this point last year). I'm hoping to get down to just being a social smoker this time next year.
I barely smoke anymore because a pack costs over nine euro here, though every night out I still end up in the smoking area. It's where the banter is :colonhash:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 93
I'm more or less entirely an ex-smoker. Was never particularly heavy on them, but smoked for about 5 years. Which is funny, because it really doesn't seem that long.

I enjoyed it thoroughly. The one thing that I didn't like was the idea that people could smell it off me. Used to have ridiculous rituals with mints, gum, aftershave and all that to try to cover it up on nights out etc. Once, I was at a dinner and a guy arrived smelling revoltingly of stale smoke - almost made my stomach turn. That was the turning point really.

Now I'll only have a cigarette either in the exclusive company of smokers or alone when I have nowhere to be; usually when I've been drinking. Which is fine really. That said, I have gained about a stone in weight, which ain't too grand.
As a kid I loved the hiding from the grownups and the scheming to go off on your own without arousing suspicion when on family holidays. As an adult I find that smokers of any age are at the more worldly end of their age group. I've honestly never met a smoking 18 year old virgin, for example. Non smokers tend to believe obvious lies from authority figures whereas smokers tend not to, in my experience. So I now kinda like how smoking means I end up talking to people that I can get on with.
Original post by tehFrance
Wait what? what doors are closed and what are opened? :holmes:
Smokers, as a discriminated minority, usually band together. At least, it's an easy excuse for conversation in a country/culture (England) that ordinarily frowns on random conversations. So it can open doors by opening conversations or striking up meetings with people you'd ordinarily never say a word to. I made a lot of friends/acquaintances at college for this reason.

Of course it closes doors because people often are prejudiced toward smoking. Also many people see it as a huge turn off, which I guess is fair enough to them. I've never found the smell of stale smoke particularly unattractive, but then I have an awful sense of smell. I'm a pretty heavy smoker, about a pack a day and I've been smoking for just about 4 years. The advantage to permanently smelling of smoke is that you can sort of clothe other bad smells in it. I'm not saying it's a cologne or anything, but it is an extremely strong and extremely persistent smell.

It's also a giant inconvenience. It makes long distance flying a terrible affair. In bad weather, thanks to the smoking ban, it can be uncomfortable. Smoking rooms in airports are disgusting (excepting Abu Dhabi which has a remarkable smoking room; large and airy with comfortable sofas and wifi...)

Original post by green.tea
As a kid I loved the hiding from the grownups and the scheming to go off on your own without arousing suspicion when on family holidays. As an adult I find that smokers of any age are at the more worldly end of their age group. I've honestly never met a smoking 18 year old virgin, for example. Non smokers tend to believe obvious lies from authority figures whereas smokers tend not to, in my experience. So I now kinda like how smoking means I end up talking to people that I can get on with.
Yea, we're better people.
(edited 12 years ago)
Every time I've ever smoked tobacco (alone or in joints) I've had awful nicotine rush and rather disgustingly it's made me vomit/retch for at least 30 mins afterwards. Has anyone else experienced this or does anybody know why? Are some people just more susceptible?
Any time this occurs I'll vomit following even just smelling somebody's cigarette smoke in the following couple of days!
Original post by Jade the Cat Lady
Every time I've ever smoked tobacco (alone or in joints) I've had awful nicotine rush and rather disgustingly it's made me vomit/retch for at least 30 mins afterwards. Has anyone else experienced this or does anybody know why? Are some people just more susceptible?
Any time this occurs I'll vomit following even just smelling somebody's cigarette smoke in the following couple of days!
This is apparently fairly common. Probably its a reaction or an allergy or something to one of the millions of chemicals that appear in cigarettes. Never happened to me or any of my friends but it's said to be common.

I do retch sometimes when I've smoked too much. I smoked like six cigarettes in a row in KL LCCT and ended up chucking up my aeroplane meal in a ****ing bin outside the airport. Normally I know to lay off if I retch.
Reply 98
whats the one you use? i may give it a go, this habit is becoming way to expensive :colonhash: £7.60 a pack where i am!!!:fuhrer:

mmm see i dont think i was ever addicted i just liked smoking, i could go for months with out them if i felt the need other times just chain smoked every day :rolleyes: so if i ever wanted to get put off fags id just buy something god aweful like londis that did the trick :colone:

mmm i must give this a go now :P

I'm currently using this one: http://www.liberty-flights.co.uk/product.asp?id=78

It's pretty big and not really a cigarette imitation but I love the battery life and the liquid capacity.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/ is a good place to go to research the different models and the guys there are pretty helpful.

Haha yeah it would definitely work out cheaper than smoking cigs! I smoked rollies so it's not really been that much cheaper for me but if you're spending £7.60 a pack you'll notice a difference.
Original post by Chumbaniya
I don't think I've ever smoked while sober, but when I have the very occasional cigarette with friends after a few drinks (we're talking less than 1 per month here) I actually find it quite nice, but a lot of it is the fact that it's a novelty.

I'm pretty much exactly the same, except I have smoked sober a few times. I don't enjoy it when I'm sober though - cigarettes seem to be "best" (used as loosely as possible) with alcohol.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending