Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Neuroscience Blog

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Check out my Neuroscience blog at http://theneuroscienceblog.wordpress.com/

The Neuroscience Blog is my blog featuring posts on the latest neuroscience research.

The aim of the blog is simply to share knowledge of neuroscience and to further my personal interests as a student.

I hope some of you find it interesting!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not really a blog. You're just relaying latest stories of neuroscience.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ritchie888)
    Not really a blog. You're just relaying latest stories of neuroscience.
    Yeah, basically it helps me to read, re-read it, post it, and probably read it again afterwards

It also increases the number of people who will read the post, since it appears on the WordPress network etc
    • 47 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    First of all I would like to say that neuroscience certainly isn't my area of specialty and so I'm going to analyse your blog from a blogging point of view and from a layman's point of view. From a blogging point of view first and foremost, what I think you've got is a very niche blog. If it is going to appeal to anyone, it will appeal to those in the know and there is your problem. You need to sort out your audience. If you're going to write for the neuroscience community, then you've got to offer something other than just the article itself. The community can discover the articles for themselves and that cuts you out altogether. Furthermore, it then just becomes a database of articles that interest you and so you need to offer something more than the articles. I think that potentially you need to consider this issue. If you're writing for the layman, then look to tone down the articles' language to a layman's level. Perhaps try to explain the benefits of each piece of research. Either way, I think that your main problem is audience and which audience you want to pick (and for either you need to adapt what you are doing).

You talk in the about blog section about it some articles simply being pasted from other sources, but a blog is about offering your slant and your opinion on things so I would look to incorporate that into your blog as well as cutting down on the length of your posts a little bit and trying to narrow your focus to a particular issue within research. The design is good with a clear, sleek finish to it.

A great start and once you've found your target audience, you'll be able to do more with the blog.

I look forward to seeing this blog develop and hopefully increasing my knowledge about this field,

toronto353
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)
    Hi,
    First of all I would like to say that neuroscience certainly isn't my area of specialty and so I'm going to analyse your blog from a blogging point of view and from a layman's point of view. From a blogging point of view first and foremost, what I think you've got is a very niche blog. If it is going to appeal to anyone, it will appeal to those in the know and there is your problem. You need to sort out your audience. If you're going to write for the neuroscience community, then you've got to offer something other than just the article itself. The community can discover the articles for themselves and that cuts you out altogether. Furthermore, it then just becomes a database of articles that interest you and so you need to offer something more than the articles. I think that potentially you need to consider this issue. If you're writing for the layman, then look to tone down the articles' language to a layman's level. Perhaps try to explain the benefits of each piece of research. Either way, I think that your main problem is audience and which audience you want to pick (and for either you need to adapt what you are doing).

You talk in the about blog section about it some articles simply being pasted from other sources, but a blog is about offering your slant and your opinion on things so I would look to incorporate that into your blog as well as cutting down on the length of your posts a little bit and trying to narrow your focus to a particular issue within research. The design is good with a clear, sleek finish to it.

A great start and once you've found your target audience, you'll be able to do more with the blog.

I look forward to seeing this blog develop and hopefully increasing my knowledge about this field,

toronto353
    You make some good points. Thank you.

Have a read through my latest post:
    theneuroscienceblog.wordpress.co m/2012/04/04/what-your-facebook-account-doesnt-say-about-your-brain/
    • 47 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robawalsh)
    You make some good points. Thank you.

Have a read through my latest post:
    theneuroscienceblog.wordpress.co m/2012/04/04/what-your-facebook-account-doesnt-say-about-your-brain/
    I like the idea there and certainly it allows the reader to explore the article and your opinion. I'd perhaps look to remove words such as 'tosh' and expand slightly the odd unjustified part here and there, but it works well and certainly give a slant which allows those unfamiliar with the field to actually access the work to an extent. Great improvements there.
    • 44 followers

ReputationRep:
    Keep up the good work Rob, I love neuroscience. What a fascinating subject!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 5, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered creative corner threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.