Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Naturally thin people facing prejudice?

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neverlander¾)
    :yum::yum::yum:
    :yep::woo:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by (:Becca(:)
    It's not fair to discriminate against naturally thin people, but it's ****ing annoying when people can eat an obscene amount of food and stay skinny whereas I only have to look at food and the pounds start piling on. It's not anyone's fault they're skinny, it's just mildly irritating.
    :cookie::cookie::cookie::cookie::cookie:
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    Fat people are jealous and like to pretend that if you are even reasonably slim (ie, size eight or less) that you are somehow not 'real' or that you are 'fake'.

In reality, you simply take care of yourself. Humans are meant to be that size, not size sixteen (which I read somewhere is the UK average).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I almost broke my nose facepalming at this thread. Also, fat people should be taxed.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I find it callous that fat people have the right to mock perfectly healthy people whereas slim/skinny people are not allowed to mock the fat bastards they are even though it's their fault they are overweight and ugly.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darklady.)
    I'm naturally thin/skinny 5'4 and 108lbs, i eat a normal and healthy diet and don't have any problems with eating. I have a small chest and bum, but that just comes with being thin, i'm completely happy with my figure unlike before, i used to hate being skinny because of the less curvage. I am sick and tired of this new trend where fat people try to feel better about themselves by attacking naturally thin people. These days it's become only correct to like fat. I'm sick of hearing comments like "Oh no, you must be annorexic because your thin!" "You look unhealthy, eat something!" and the ... wait for it... the most cliche jelous statement ever... "Guys don't like women with figures of a small boy, they like real curves." Any other skinnies noticing this? Why do you think people fail to see that skinny doesn't nessacarily mean unhealthy. I can understand it though, if someone is purposely not eating, then that isn't healthy.
    My parents are also thin, so i must have some japanese ancestry somewhere in my family tree.
    Predjudice against anyone is ugly.

You're 5'4 so I'm not surprised if you're petite!

Another thing that's annoying is how the word 'curvy' has become interchangable with fat!
    If you describe someone as 'curvy' in todays day, majority would think that they're fat, not that they might actually have a cruvy, slim figure.

AND boob size too! That's another thing....everyone who is actually fat flaunts that they have big boobs! - yeah big, saggy, unattractive boobs. Just throw that back in their face!

I'd rather have no boobs than fat, stomach churning ones!
    • 91 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I totally second the comments about the "real woman" issue. It's not right that the media and certain people will happily paint bigger and curvier women as "real women", but imply that all skinny women are not. So what, just because I'm naturally slim does that make me imaginary or fake or something??

The way I would put it, is that a "real woman" should be any woman who is healthy and happy, whether they are slim, athletic, curvy or a bit large, because really we should be celebrating the variety in life of all different body shapes (though, obviously not the extremely unhealthy body types).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I eat like a pig. I'm 5.5 and im around 110lbs. I eat what ever I want, have a fast metabolism and it's great!
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ugh, so I go on Facebook this morning and the first thing I see is one of those shared memes. A picture of Marilyn Monroe and a picture of a thin girl in a bikini- the caption says 'screw society, THIS (arrow to Monroe) is more attractive than THIS (arrow to thin girl). The lady who posted it is on the larger side, but there's like 4,000 comments which I started to read but had to stop because it was depressing me!

Also, I've noticed that it seems the worst crime a woman can commit is be flat chested- people seem to hate this most of all.(Maybe I read the daily mail comments sections too much but hey!Y
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I find this unusual, because in all my years of having anorexia and being severely underweight I have not once received a comment like that. I sometimes think recovery would be easier if I did face 'prejudice'. It leads me to believe that people are just joking around by making (what they believe to be) playful comments. They're probably trying to compliment you as well, since being slim is seen as socially desirable
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by briesandwich)
    I find this unusual, because in all my years of having anorexia and being severely underweight I have not once received a comment like that. I sometimes think recovery would be easier if I did face 'prejudice'. It leads me to believe that people are just joking around by making (what they believe to be) playful comments. They're probably trying to compliment you as well, since being slim is seen as socially desirable
    I think people can see the difference between someone who's ill and someone who just happens to be slim. They probably feel it would be inappropriate to make those sorts of comments to someone suffering from an eating disorder, whereas naturally 'slim' folk like me are expected to put up with these backhanded 'compliments'!
    • 91 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LavenderBlueSky88)
    Ugh, so I go on Facebook this morning and the first thing I see is one of those shared memes. A picture of Marilyn Monroe and a picture of a thin girl in a bikini- the caption says 'screw society, THIS (arrow to Monroe) is more attractive than THIS (arrow to thin girl). The lady who posted it is on the larger side, but there's like 4,000 comments which I started to read but had to stop because it was depressing me!

Also, I've noticed that it seems the worst crime a woman can commit is be flat chested- people seem to hate this most of all.(Maybe I read the daily mail comments sections too much but hey!Y
    And it goes the other way as well, when women go and get bigger boobs through cosmetic surgery, and people condemn them for being fake - well you just can't win! Not unless you're naturally perfect or something :rolleyes:
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LavenderBlueSky88)
    I think people can see the difference between someone who's ill and someone who just happens to be slim. They probably feel it would be inappropriate to make those sorts of comments to someone suffering from an eating disorder, whereas naturally 'slim' folk like me are expected to put up with these backhanded 'compliments'!
    Yeah I assume this too, hence why I figured people see the comments as compliments, because they wouldn't want to compliment someone who's unwell. I see your frustration though, especially when the comments lean towards being called 'anorexic' - it's very insensitive.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArcaneAnna)
    Predjudice against anyone is ugly.

You're 5'4 so I'm not surprised if you're petite!

Another thing that's annoying is how the word 'curvy' has become interchangable with fat!
    If you describe someone as 'curvy' in todays day, majority would think that they're fat, not that they might actually have a cruvy, slim figure.

AND boob size too! That's another thing....everyone who is actually fat flaunts that they have big boobs! - yeah big, saggy, unattractive boobs. Just throw that back in their face!

I'd rather have no boobs than fat, stomach churning ones!
    That fat boobs comment made me lol because it's so true. It's vulgar when huge women flaunt them off in skimpy clothes. Don't they look in the mirror before leaving home??

Nobody likes extremes. Skinny like a stick is not attractive, nor is being a fatty. In the middle is where it's at.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanR)
    "Skinny" has negative connotations. Makes the person sound underweight, unhealthy. Skinny isn't hot, because unhealthy isn't hot. If someone has a low body fat percentage combined with very little lean body mass it looks awful (on both genders). Women should have a naturally higher bodyfat percentage than men anyway (because of higher estogen levels).

So yeah, not everyone knows that skinny is hot. I sure as hell don't find it hot, and I'm a pretty damn skinny male (although I shouldn't be skinny for too much longer!). I can guarantee that women are more big on the "skinny" thing than guys are.
    Skinny does not mean underweight in my way of understanding it, skinny means.. skinny. Just as curvy does not mean overweight, it's just a way of describing body shape.

Being a woman, personally I would find it a bit unsettling if I weighed more than my parter but maybe that's just me.

That may be true about women finding being skinny more attractive than men do, I wouldn't know I'm not a man
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by youbonkers)
    Skinny does not mean underweight in my way of understanding it, skinny means.. skinny. Just as curvy does not mean overweight, it's just a way of describing body shape.

Being a woman, personally I would find it a bit unsettling if I weighed more than my parter but maybe that's just me.

That may be true about women finding being skinny more attractive than men do, I wouldn't know I'm not a man
    skin·ny/ˈskinē/
    Adjective:
    (of a person or part of their body) Unattractively thin.
    And I'm sure we could agree that unattractively thin means underweight. Think that if skinny is thinner than "average" or normal weight, then it has to be underweight. Skinny is not a good thing. Of course there are healthy skinny people out there, but it's not optimal.

That's fair enough, but if you're similar in height then you should definitely expect to weigh more (or at least the same) for the reason I mentioned before!

It's definitely true. You'd never hear a guy being like, "awwww yeah, she's so sexy, you can see her ribs when she's got a bikini on." But you would (and do) hear guys saying things like, "I say, that lady over there is in possession of an absolutely cracking pair of norks, wouldn't you agree?"
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanR)
    Eating more and picking up heavy stuff. If you're a skinny guy looking to put on mass and strength the GOMAD (Gallon of Milk a Day) diet is one of the easiest starting steps.
    I am actually a major milk drinker...always have been and it's never really helped tbh and i do eat a lot already as it is...but it all seems to be in vain.
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JuggerJay)
    I am actually a major milk drinker...always have been and it's never really helped tbh and i do eat a lot already as it is...but it all seems to be in vain.
    I bet you don't eat as much as you think. What do you class as "major"? And are you doing any proper strength/weight training/
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diving_queen)
    Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha haha.

This amused me. Its just so downright stupid.
    How would you know, you're a girl. Just because you're too ugly to get a boyfriend who isn't some nerd like you.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I long for the day when someone is not judged on the size of the clothes they wear :mad:

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 9, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.