The Student Room Group

Why do women find the "ripped look" attractive?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
tbh i quite like the 'ripped' look as it shows they are taking care of their body, and im quite a sporty person myself....however, i do not base my opinions solely on this, as if a guy is a complete jerk there is no way i would even consider going out with him. I am also quite happy to go out with guys that aren't 'ripped' as i said before appearance isn't everything. To anyone that bases their opinions solely on appearance....stop being so flipping vein and go and get to know someone first.

That is all x
Reply 142
oh yeahhhhhhhhhhh!
Reply 143
Original post by effofex
How would someone actually know if someone is ripped (in a northern European country).

On say, a Goan beach - it would be obvious since most men will be topless (and working topless) so women can see their muscle definition and compare.

But northern Europe is generally cold - and even in summer when it is relatively warm most men will not remove their shirts as a result of cultural factors/Protestant modesty. Most people do not work outdoors so they are usually wearing loose-ish fitting shirts.

So how can you tell whether someone is 'ripped' or not? E.g. - if you look at what I am wearing in my profile photo, you will not be able to tell whether I have visible sixpack abdominal muscles, or whether I have a slightly chubby stomach. Wouldn't the woman specifically have to ask the man to remove his shirt to find out?

True. It would require warm weather or an area like a swimming pool/sauna in order for any advantage to be gleaned.

Although having said that, it's not just the torso/abs that change when body fat % is low, it can be seen in the face, arms, pretty much everywhere. :smile:
Reply 144
oh yeahhhhhhhhhhh!
Reply 145
Flip the question on it's head...

Why do guys find the 'model' look attractive?
Reply 146
Original post by linzico

I'm sorry - I do not understand exactly what you are referring to here.
Reply 147
Original post by linzico

You mean the ones that look so fragile that if you touched them they may break? No thanks.. The body i find attractive is ones like Beyonce or jillian michaels or that sporty body, etc
Reply 148
Original post by effofex
I'm sorry - I do not understand exactly what you are referring to here.

I'm not sure how else to put it. From my experience, most guys would rather a skinny, big-boobed, fake tan girlfriend with their nails done and hair immaculately set, and I just really don't understand this at all.

All I meant was the opposite of the thread question, why do guys find the ripped-female-opposite attractive? Not all women find the 'ripped' look attractive so I'd like to think there's hope for us 'normal' women
Reply 149
Original post by desijut
You mean the ones that look so fragile that if you touched them they may break? No thanks.. The body i find attractive is ones like Beyonce or jillian michaels or that sporty body, etc

That sporty look is a better way of saying what I meant thanks.
Reply 150
I don't LOL. I like a little meat on my guyyyyyy :biggrin:
Original post by ElizM_94
I don't LOL. I like a little meat on my guyyyyyy :biggrin:

No, you don't.
Reply 152
Original post by rogerharris
most older women i met, are into the younger ripped guys, after they divorced the guy with the bank balance

I am walking proof of that.
unless he looks like the hulk being strong is always better then being weak, it shows he can defend you and that he has discipline and health

Original post by Eveiebaby
You can't face palm my taste in men. I always have gone for the same sort of build. I just like it.

I just think men who are slim look much better in their clothes and I'm attracted to gentleness and grace.

For some reason really muscle men just look oafish and clumsy to me. I appreciate that it takes a lot of work to achieve that level of chiselled-ness, but it just doesnt do anything to stir fire from within. It rather douses those loin flames for me :frown:

I'm well aware I don't prescribe to the super-macho ideal of male attractiveness, but variety is the spice of life.

is it because you associate being muscly with not being very intelligent you think that a guy being clever is more important?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 154
Original post by Munchies-YumYum
No, you don't.

Hell yeah I doo. I don't want a guy who will break when I hug him. But the fully ripped look is just ERG. A bit ripped is alright but a bit of flesh on a guy is goood.
Reply 155
I'm guessing you are little bit on the flabby side but earning high?

Guys seem to prefer women to be toned rather than flabby, why shouldnt it be the same the other way round?

It looks better, that's probably why. That doesn't mean to say that a flabby/ weedy guy cant be attractive to some women! Just when we look at a guy for the first time we don't generally study them for their earning potential!

Plus it feels good to hug :P
Hell yeah I doo. I don't want a guy who will break when I hug him. But the fully ripped look is just ERG. A bit ripped is alright but a bit of flesh on a guy is goood.

but a ripped guy has flesh too, call it "good flesh" instead of that fatty flabby which everyone can gain by being lazy. You really want a lazy guy? I doubt. You want an eager one, that wants to succeed, someone who is ripped and cares about his health.

besides a ripped guy will probably break you instead of you breaking him, so no you don't.
Reply 157
Original post by Munchies-YumYum
but a ripped guy has flesh too, call it "good flesh" instead of that fatty flabby which everyone can gain by being lazy. You really want a lazy guy? I doubt. You want an eager one, that wants to succeed, someone who is ripped and cares about his health.

besides a ripped guy will probably break you instead of you breaking him, so no you don't.

LOOOOOOOOL well somebody seems to know me better than I know myself -.- Being tubby doesn't make someone lazy?! I'm not exactly skinny but I'm still hard working and eager. JEHEZ!
LOOOOOOOOL well somebody seems to know me better than I know myself -.- Being tubby doesn't make someone lazy?! I'm not exactly skinny but I'm still hard working and eager. JEHEZ!

well, they do call me the horse whisperer for a reason. it does, did you say you're hard working? #error#error#error# all those errors prove you're not, since you're not skinny = lazy. statistics have proven that all hard workers are skinny and that all fatty ones hang out infront of the TV 25/8, that is 24/7 in reality and the rest in their dreams, so no you don't.
Original post by Dark Horse
You still haven't told me if your any good at rock-climbing, brah. :biggrin:

Not really, I just do it for fun. Not particularly bothered about getting better, and it's got to the point now where I'm starting to dislike indoor climbing... outdoor climbing is where it's at :biggrin: though I only go once a year

Quick Reply

Latest