Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

britain in 2112?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    its always interesting to hear peoples predictions on where society will be in the future -- some people are absurdly optimistic, some absurdly pessimistic.

in 1912 britain strode the world like colossus. it was the undisputed power in the world. how the world has changed since then!! -- i doubt anyone it that era could have foreseen such a dramatic collapse in such a short space of time.

so what is the future for britain? will there be big dramatic changes like in the previous 100 years? or a dull and slow decline into insignificance on the world stage?

obviously technology is the trump card and always has been. it changes everything -- in 100 years everyone might be addicted to virtual reality AI computers where they live out their lives in fake realities.........who knows.......

thoughts on where britain will be in 2112? it will be interesting if those that respond also state what their political affiliations are, just to get a sense of how personal politics shapes the character of the predictions, whether they be negative or positive.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'll be dead, so I don't really care, but I'd imagine it'd be like what Argentina is like today, since it used to be one of the top economies, but is now one of the little dogs that is made fun of. It might be in an even worse position actually.
    • 71 followers

ReputationRep:
    It could be a little like this...

• 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    HOVERCARS!

Man, I'll be so disappointed if the future doesn't contain hovercars.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    People might hate on my opinion....But I think "Britain" as we know it will probably not exist anymore. Because all of the countries in Europe will be merged together and the new order will be called, "fbhgjznfmjxfyhmfx."
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joonie)
    People might hate on my opinion....But I think "Britain" as we know it will probably not exist anymore. Because all of the countries in Europe will be merged together and the new order will be called, "fbhgjznfmjxfyhmfx."
    Well, most of Europe will probably be a ghost town for the most part since most of them have low fertility rates at the moment, and they're just going to get lower. Not that that's a bad thing.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    All men will be enslaved by women, kept docile and in permanent spiked chastity, neutered upon request.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's pretty pointless trying to work this out. Could someone from 1912 really have comprehended or predicted how technology has changed our lives so considerably in such a short period?

Our change in global status is pretty obvious. Will we decline or increase our influence? Well, anything is possible, and it may depend on things as yet unforseen: it's not beyond the realms of possibility that we'll have control over some essential resource or skill which will dramatically change our fortunes.

Personally I think we'll stumble along, politically speaking, more or less as we are now. I don't think there's an appetite, for example, to change our constitution dramatically and become a republic or anything similar. The main changes will simply be a matter of how we respond to global events - and at the moment, we're relatively good at managing change where we can.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Predominantly submerged.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Dead. Nuclear war.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Here is my prediction.

Rapid fish evolution results in trout becoming more intelligent than humans. Trout revolt against human rule and win their freedom. Trout using their superior intelligence develop powerful weapons and defeat humans in the third world war. Trout enslave humanity. Humans are now bred as pets to be loved by Trout families and entered into crufts style competitions.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by natchina)

in 1912 britain strode the world like colossus.
    Was this the inspiration for your words?

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    something like the world out pof mad max beyond thunderdome or maybe waterworld
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Who knows, i'll be dead by then so i won't care ^_^
    • 46 followers

ReputationRep:
    I hope it's like Futurama, then my head can be kept alive in a jar of water
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Negatively: I reckon they'll be another big war. Who and what will be involved though I am not sure.
    Positively: It's quite possible cancer may well have been cured by then, considering the speed at which science is going. Overall health, and life expectancy will be higher...so a lot of older folk will roam the streets lol.
    Possibly a new colonization (not by us, but by religious folk) in one of the poles if it get's warm enough.
    Like the rest of history leading up to this, things will generally be "better" but with harsher, harder hitting set backs.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    http://www.futuretimeline.net/
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    It's pretty pointless trying to work this out.
    We just need to develop our psychohistory from Isaac asimov left off, then we can do it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Based on the rate things are going at the minute, i'd say things won't be good at all.

Our country will be swamped with immigrants, and different cultures and religions will mask any recognition of what it used to mean to be British. In fact, it won't be Britain anymore, except by name, if it's lucky.

Technology and the desire for money will continue to choke our country ... I reckon a fair bit of the countryside will be built over, remaining British traditions will be stamped out. Everyone will have square eyes from staring at computers (ok, I jest). Really, though, I think the blinded desire for technology, money, and to "compete" with the rest of the world will be the death of our country.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lonelyknight)
    Our country will be swamped with immigrants, and different cultures and religions will mask any recognition of what it used to mean to be British. In fact, it won't be Britain anymore, except by name, if it's lucky.
    Well aren't you a lovely chap.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 9, 2012
New on TSR

Single, dating or in a relationship?

Chat about your life and loves in our Relationships forum!

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.