The Student Room Group

Took 2 pills by accident, what now?

I'm on microgynon 30 and take my pill first thing in the morning...in the evening I picked up my pack and realised that Wednesday's pill was still there, so I thought 'oh that's odd, I'm sure I took it, but clearly not' and so took the pill. I then looked at the end of the pack and realised that there was no pill left for the last Wednesday of the cycle...I had obviously picked the pack up upside down first thing in the morning and taken the one at the end instead...

..so basically, I took two pills by accident (with a 13hr gap in between)...what do I do now? Should I carry on taking them as normal and add a spare pill at the end of the cycle (so I still finish on the same day as intended) or should I miss a day??

Please help!
I've got different pills but it says you can shorten you break but not lengthen it, so if you do finish a day early, you should start the next pack a day earlier than you would have done, so your break is still only a week long. I'd ring your doctor to be sure but your best bet is to carry on taking the rest as normal and taking a week break not an 8 day.
Haha, i love how you're worrying about this!

I do this all the time, some days I miss a day and take two the next day etc etc. Doesn't make a difference. Usually I just take a day off the cycle and start my break a day early.
It does matter if you miss them, but it depends how far into the pack you are. Mine has different instructions for the 3 different weeks. At least taking two is probably better than missing one.
Reply 4
You're only covered against pregnancy if you take at least 21 pills, so you need to get another pill from somewhere. It's up to you whether you take another pill from a new pack and keep that for spares, or if you run another pack into this.

If you're not taking the pill for contraceptive reasons, one less would be fine - but remember to still keep to a 7 day break
Original post by Juno
You're only covered against pregnancy if you take at least 21 pills, so you need to get another pill from somewhere. It's up to you whether you take another pill from a new pack and keep that for spares, or if you run another pack into this.

If you're not taking the pill for contraceptive reasons, one less would be fine - but remember to still keep to a 7 day break

If she finishes the pack she would take 21 pills, just in 20 days.
Reply 6
Original post by Clare~Bear
If she finishes the pack she would take 21 pills, just in 20 days.

Yeah, but that still aint right
I've done this before because I've got confused about the day :p: I always take another pill from a spare packet - I keep a 'just in case' packet around all the time in case I'm sick, or sometimes my friend who's on the same pill nicks one off me if she's forgotten hers etc.
Reply 8
If you miss a dose in your 2nd or 3rd week, you don't have to worry about efficacy of contraception. If you take two pills in one day, don't be alarmed. Just you may experience nausea, bloating something like this. This pill doesn't have long duration of acting. If 2 or more days went by, forget it.
Reply 9
Don't worry, you'll just be growing a beard. Nothing too serious.
Reply 10
I have a pack that I use as "spares" for ocassions like this. Yes I guess fact that it happens often enough for me to have done this means I'm probably quite stupid but at least it works.
What happens if your mum makes you take two near the end and then you have to take Monday's and you dont have wednesdays? Will taking two and missing Wednesday's can it stop you from having children or getting pregnent?
If you take two in one day and you don't know where you missed one, your parent makes you and you get to the end and there's monday-Wednesday and you take the Wednesday one, will these pills prevent pregnancy if you keep doing this?
Reply 13
Original post by Sunny1998
If you take two in one day and you don't know where you missed one, your parent makes you and you get to the end and there's monday-Wednesday and you take the Wednesday one, will these pills prevent pregnancy if you keep doing this?

You're not being very clear in what you're asking. However, if you miss the last pill in the pack (because you've taken it earlier) then you'll be having an 8 day break. This will mean you're not covered against pregnancy.

If you mean you continually mess up the the pill probably isn't the best contraception for you. You might find a longer lasting method like the implant or injection easier, as you don't need to remember it every day.
I had the same thing happening to me I had my days mixed.. I end up taken Friday the pill but took the day of Saturday’s instead of Friday’s. Saturday night came thinking it was Sunday than I took 2 thinking I had missed Friday’s. It might sound very confusing but I wasn’t aware that I had to take them regularly my boyfriend freaks out!! And why is it that man... Don’t understand we forget... Now we have issues because of this bs! Anyone else can recommend me anything else instead of pills ??
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest