The Student Room Group

Rich guys get hot girls!

I chose this title because it is clearly based on an old cliche, but I think most of us have observed it enough to accept that there is some reality to it.

We have all seen some bloke who appears very average in regards to looks or physique, but upon further observation their demeanor and dress label them as a person of means. Our suspicion is then clearly confirmed when some absolutely stunning woman comes and stands by his side. Most people would then have a tendency to make a negative judgment on the character of one or both partners within such a relationship. Is that judgment just, and why do we do it?

Suppose the wealthy partner despises most everything about the attractive one other than their looks. Suppose the attractive partner despises most everything about the wealthy one other than their money. Which partner is more deserving of our contempt. I tend to judge the "gold digger" the most, but that is just my prejudice. Truly in these examples, both parties are shallow and somewhat despicable. In this case they deserve each other, but it is rarely that simple.

Suppose the wealthy partner does care for the attractive one, but they chose them over someone less attractive whom they adored. Suppose the attractive partner likes the wealthy one but they have ignored another whom they have a deeper connection with because that person is poor. Do their choices make them shallow people? I say no. There is nothing wrong with considering someones looks or wealth in choosing a mate. It is shallow if you consider only those things. Just as it would be shallow if you only cared about intelligence. It is not shallow to consider all factors, including wealth and looks.

I think that wealth and looks are the two attributes people can possess with the most tangible benefits within our society. As a result it is common or easy to feel pride and envy in their regard. The natural progression is an attempt to label such factors as "superficial". The truth is that wealth and looks are no less substantial than intelligence, Wit, or compassion.

There is a reason why it is rare to see a wealthy man with an ugly woman, or a stunning woman with a man who is completely dirt poor (yes there are always exceptions). It is not because these people are shallow. It is just because they have what they consider to be better options in choosing a mate. I say more power to them.

Do you find it contemptible to prioritize someones looks or wealth when choosing a partner?
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Are you posing a question? What's the point of this thread?
Yes the scent of a boy's rich father's wallet sends the girls swooning and gives them a sense of authority like no other- the annoying pricks that use the money to hide themselves should try a day in the real world...
Reply 3
Original post by Mendeleev's Table
Are you posing a question? What's the point of this thread?

fixed it.
Reply 4
Surely it's basic human psychology. At the most fundamental level, people are trying to find the best 'mate'. Being the best 'mate' can include, fitness, beauty, height, money e.t.c, these are all factors that contribute in natural selection at the most primal level. When a short woman hooks up with a tall guy, no-one bats an eyelid, but it could be deduced by the same factors as wealth. Height gives the subconscious comfort of being able to provide for a woman, the same as money can.
Reply 5
Rich guys get the kind of girls who go for rich guys. So much is obvious.

Unfortunately, the kind of girls who go for rich guys are not necessarily the kind of girls who make good partners.

Awesome guys, on the other hand, tend to get awesome girls. Awesome girls >>>> gold digging ho's

In an ironic twist, awesome guys also tend to get paid decent money.

The moral of the story: forget being rich, be awesome.
Yes they do apart from black footballers
Reply 7
Sometimes the urge to post a stupid comment is simply too strong.

U JELLY?!
Looks, personality and assets are the three basic categories that define someone. Valuing one more then the other is a personal choice and there's nothing more annoying then someone who constantly berate others for choosing something other then personality.

At the end of the day you want to be with someone who makes you happy (and to some extent makes them happy) and breaking it down into anything else is just academic. Both the man and woman know what's going on and they are happy with it - the only reason this would be annoying or an issue is if you were jealous..?
Reply 9
Alot of men hide their wealth.

That way, they get to enjoy it without having to constantly beat off avaricious women.
Not necessarily just because they are rich per se. Wealth and success can be the product of other traits such as self-confidence, ambition, motivation, hard-work which are all attractive qualities.
I ain't sayin' she a gold digga...

The problem with being rich is that you can marry a chick and find out that she's only after your money. Naturally, she'll put up with you for a year or so then divorce you and take half your ****. Women eh? Can't live with them, can't live with them :h:

Naturally everyone would like to have more money, but I don't think it's fair to judge people just because they have more money than someone else. Besides, I've had hot girlfriends in the past and I'm more likely to have 50p in my pocket than £50, so it doesn't always hold true.
In other news, it was proven today that 2+2=4
Rich "ugly" men were invisible to women (or held in open contempt by them) until they got rich. If they only date models, so what. Hes come to understand women only want one thing from him, so he's applying the same principle on them as a reaction. Even "ugly" girls are dismissive of guys below a certain "beauty" threshold until they get desperate because they've been exclusively aiming for 10/10s and getting nowhere. So successful men of this nature have earned the right to prejudice their choice of partner.

The man deserves no contempt, after all he is the one being used and been abused for something he couldn't help. The woman/gold-digger absolutely deserves contempt, however if these type of men wish to give these lazy vapid mercenaries an easy life then you can't blaim them for taking advantage.
This is new.

Reply 15
I'm so broke I repel bitches
Reply 16
Original post by g_star_raw_1989
Not necessarily just because they are rich per se. Wealth and success can be the product of other traits such as self-confidence, ambition, motivation, hard-work which are all attractive qualities.

This. I've never understood why an attractive girl who hooks up with a less attractive but rich guy is considered shallow, when the implication seems to be that people of a certain attractiveness should exclusively go for partners of the same level.

Surely judging someone based on wealth - and thus the factors mentioned above - is a lot less shallow than judging someone based on their looks, which is something they have very little control over and which says nothing about their personality and ability as a partner.

I guess it all comes down to our perverse desire to improve other people's perception of ourselves being stronger than our desire to actually improve ourselves.
Reply 17
Women always call me ugly until they find out how much I earn.

Then they call me ugly and poor.

:frown:
Choosing a partner for financial reasons is no more shallow than choosing one because they are good looking, and nearly everybody factors that into the equation. In an ideal world, everyone would make romantic choices based on personality, but don't condemn those who think about money when you are almost definitely susceptible to being just as insensitive.
Reply 19
Original post by Drunk Punx
I ain't sayin' she a gold digga...

The problem with being rich is that you can marry a chick and find out that she's only after your money. Naturally, she'll put up with you for a year or so then divorce you and take half your ****. Women eh? Can't live with them, can't live with them :h:

Naturally everyone would like to have more money, but I don't think it's fair to judge people just because they have more money than someone else. Besides, I've had hot girlfriends in the past and I'm more likely to have 50p in my pocket than £50, so it doesn't always hold true.

So you can just have your fun with them without marrying them or cohabiting with them. That way you're protected.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending