The Student Room Group

What is FRCPath?

Hello :smile:

I would like to become a biomedical scientist, and I keep noticing that the word 'FRCPath' keeps cropping up. I'm confused as to what this additional qualification is.

I'm currently studying biomed at QMUL and as far as I'm aware, it's a UK education centre accredited by the Institute of Biomedical Science (IBMS) and approved by the Health Professions Council (HPC) so that I can legally gain employment in the NHS as a trainee biomedical scientist. After than, I'd like to go onto to doing a masters in either microbiology, haemotology, virology, immunology or cancer.

After doing all this, would I not be qualified enough to work practice as a biomedical scientist? If so, how does this FRCPath fit into it? :confused:

Original post by hollywoodbudgie
Hello :smile:

I would like to become a biomedical scientist, and I keep noticing that the word 'FRCPath' keeps cropping up. I'm confused as to what this additional qualification is.

I'm currently studying biomed at QMUL and as far as I'm aware, it's a UK education centre accredited by the Institute of Biomedical Science (IBMS) and approved by the Health Professions Council (HPC) so that I can legally gain employment in the NHS as a trainee biomedical scientist. After than, I'd like to go onto to doing a masters in either microbiology, haemotology, virology, immunology or cancer.

After doing all this, would I not be qualified enough to work practice as a biomedical scientist? If so, how does this FRCPath fit into it? :confused:

FRCPath is a qualification for doctors who are pathologists - it stands for Fellow of the Royal College of Pathologists.

It won't be relevant to you unless you become a doctor :wink:
Original post by thegodofgod
FRCPath is a qualification for doctors who are pathologists - it stands for Fellow of the Royal College of Pathologists.

Oh I see. Well it's also my ambition to become a Dr (not a medicine practising one, a scientist), after I've worked for a few years and could afford it. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by thegodofgod

Wrong!!! :wink:

Healthcare Scientists can become fellows of the RCPath, as they work in Pathology. There are 2 stages:

Part 1 - Needed to apply for a Senior Scientist Position
Part 2 - Needed to apply for a Consultant Scientist Position

Part 1 is made up of 2 exams. One is theory, where the questions bring up clinical situations and ask for interpretation. The other is practical, so carrying out some tests and providing results. They cost £500 each, and have about a 50% pass rate. it can be taken after a year of becoming registered with the HPC, but many people leave it til later since it means a lot of hard work straight after finishing training and it's best to get some experience under your belt first. So just depends how much someone wants to push themselves.

Part 2 is a portfolio thing I think. I don't really know much about that since it's a long way off in anyone's career. I do know there are fewer hoops to jump through for a consultant position if you have a PhD though.

So basically, the RCPath exams are linked to proving expertise for promotion. The downside is if you're a fellow you have to pay a membership fee of a couple hundred pounds a year - so if you have the qualifications and don't get a higher position it can be a bit frustrating.

Original post by hollywoodbudgie
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Svenjamin
Wrong!!! :wink:

Healthcare Scientists can become fellows of the RCPath, as they work in Pathology. There are 2 stages:

Part 1 - Needed to apply for a Senior Scientist Position
Part 2 - Needed to apply for a Consultant Scientist Position

Part 1 is made up of 2 exams. One is theory, where the questions bring up clinical situations and ask for interpretation. The other is practical, so carrying out some tests and providing results. They cost £500 each, and have about a 50% pass rate. it can be taken after a year of becoming registered with the HPC, but many people leave it til later since it means a lot of hard work straight after finishing training and it's best to get some experience under your belt first. So just depends how much someone wants to push themselves.

Part 2 is a portfolio thing I think. I don't really know much about that since it's a long way off in anyone's career. I do know there are fewer hoops to jump through for a consultant position if you have a PhD though.

So basically, the RCPath exams are linked to proving expertise for promotion. The downside is if you're a fellow you have to pay a membership fee of a couple hundred pounds a year - so if you have the qualifications and don't get a higher position it can be a bit frustrating.

Wow. :zomg:

Thanks for the response :smile:
Reply 5
Hello..
I would like to ask about FRCPATH, i am planning for the exam next september, first part, and i am an overseas doctor, so i wonder, if i want to practice in UK, should i have MRCP, or just FRCPATH will be enough to register in GMC.
Happy new year to all of you.
Original post by Rehamraf
Hello..
I would like to ask about FRCPATH, i am planning for the exam next september, first part, and i am an overseas doctor, so i wonder, if i want to practice in UK, should i have MRCP, or just FRCPATH will be enough to register in GMC.
Happy new year to all of you.

What do you want to practice as in the UK?
Reply 7
I would like to practice clinical microbiology, i am a doctor and i would like to proceed in FRCPATH to register in GMC.
Reply 8
I am a medical doctor, I want to do FRCPath in chemical pathology. I am from Pakistan and do not intend to work in UK in near feature, may be in 7-8 years from now How would I prepare and what to do and what not to do.. Any type of guidance would be appreciated.
hello i am a medical doctor from algeria, i am currently in my first year of speciality in medical microbiologyi would like to practise in the uk as a trainee in medical microbiology so what should i do to continue my speciality ? should i pass the MRCP or the FRCPath ? please help me

Latest

Trending

Trending