The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Noe, not really.

There we go, question answered.

Its going to turn into a threadnaught anyway isn't it? :sad:
To me it seems that the uni you applied for did not want to be seen as on who gives out many offers to students from private schools. I'm sure that universities have a certain amount of people from both private and state schools that they can/must give an offer so that they won't be regarded to as a uni which favours students from a certain background in terms of education.
Of course they do!! The Government just appointed a new minister whose made it his aim to get more state school people into Uni.

However isn't this fair? I mean a state pupil who get AAA must be a lot cleverer than a private pupil who gets the same grades!!!!

Also, Scotland universities discriminate against english pupils. For example English pupils only make a sixth of the input into St Andrews.

It is just a merrygoround of discrimination!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - the Government needs to sort this out - come on David Willetts!
Reply 23
Original post by DRE_902
I recently applied to study Law at a well-known Scottish University. I got 4 A's and a B in my SQA Highers, which I thought would have been enough to get an offer, but as I recently found out, this was not the case and my application was unsuccessful.

I was at an Open Day a few months ago, and started talking to someone who had applied for the same course as me at the first University mentioned. He had 1 A, 2 B's and a C in his Highers, yet he was given a conditional offer, while I was rejected straight away.

The only difference I can see between us is that I go to a private school and he goes to a state school. I was wondering if anybody else has had a similar experience, or knows why a University would favour a pupil with lower grades over one with higher grades based purely upon their education?

It might seem as if I'm jumping to conclusions, but I have put a lot of thought in to this and I honestly can't think of a reason why I would have been rejected in favour of an applicant whose grades were quite a bit worse than mine. :confused:

Maybe this candidate had an outstanding PS and extenuating circumstances. It's hard to make your PS stand out, and your PS was probably just really boring and unoriginal, along with your extra curricular activities. Not everyone gets accepted. For example, why do people with AAAAAAA at AS still get rejected at Oxbridge?!

Nothing to do with your background. Most universities have like a 60:40 public-state school ratio so universities clearly do not discriminate on the basis of your background.
Reply 24
Original post by DRE_902
I'd like to add that it isn't a case of "I got rejected, therefore Universities hate Private Schools".

I know of several people with 4 A grades who were rejected straight out, and I've come across maybe two examples of people from state schools with 1 A who were given offers (there will be more, I'm sure)

There does seem to be a pattern emerging, and I wanted to know there was a reason behind it - or if it was just a (very big) coincidence.

There could be many reasons why this person was offered a place and you weren't.

There is a belief that if candidate A could get certain grades at a state school, they would almost certainly get better grades at a private school, as this is true for the majority of people. The fact that state a schooled person got worse grades does not make him any less determined, it's just easier to get better grades in private tuition around other pupils who actively encourage success in exams, where in state tuition peers are more likely not to encourage success and in some cases they may even discriminate the person who succeeds in the state school (Hence the terms geek, nerd, etc.).

Also, those from poorer backgrounds may have greater difficulty doing well in exams as yourself. The universities have to take that into account surely?

On top of that there is other things such as volunteering, non-academic achievements, experience etc. The state schooled person in general could have looked like a better person if they had a lot more of this in their application than you had.

Overall, grades aren't everything. They are a small part of a bigger picture that defines who you are. Don't try to start a social revolution because your private school education didn't get you an offer, having wealthy parents shouldn't get you everywhere in life.
Reply 25
Original post by babyjustin
Of course they do!! The Government just appointed a new minister whose made it his aim to get more state school people into Uni.

However isn't this fair? I mean a state pupil who get AAA must be a lot cleverer than a private pupil who gets the same grades!!!!

Also, Scotland universities discriminate against english pupils. For example English pupils only make a sixth of the input into St Andrews.

It is just a merrygoround of discrimination!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - the Government needs to sort this out - come on David Willetts!

And how many scottish pupils make up the input into English uni's?
If person A goes to a crap school and gets, say, BBB, and person B goes to a great school and also gets BBB, chances are person A is naturally more talented.
Reply 27
Original post by gargonroge
There could be many reasons why this person was offered a place and you weren't.

There is a belief that if candidate A could get certain grades at a state school, they would almost certainly get better grades at a private school, as this is true for the majority of people. The fact that state a schooled person got worse grades does not make him any less determined, it's just easier to get better grades in private tuition around other pupils who actively encourage success in exams, where in state tuition peers are more likely not to encourage success and in some cases they may even discriminate the person who succeeds in the state school (Hence the terms geek, nerd, etc.).

Also, those from poorer backgrounds may have greater difficulty doing well in exams as yourself. The universities have to take that into account surely?

On top of that there is other things such as volunteering, non-academic achievements, experience etc. The state schooled person in general could have looked like a better person if they had a lot more of this in their application than you had.

Overall, grades aren't everything. They are a small part of a bigger picture that defines who you are. Don't try to start a social revolution because your private school education didn't get you an offer, having wealthy parents shouldn't get you everywhere in life.

I had bronze and silver DofE (with gold soon to be completed), two weeks of relevant work experience, an MV award and I work with younger kids at the local primary school. I know you're just making a point, but...

I love your assumption that I go to a private school, and so must rely solely on my parents wealth to get by in life. I'm just a normal, middle-class teenager living in a normal, middle-class neighbourhood - the same as most people commenting on this thread. I have neighbours in a near identical financial situation than me who go to state schools. I still worked hard for months on end to get good grades.

Not all state school kids live in absolute poverty; Not all private school kids are wealthy, upper class landlords. Yes, it's stating the obvious, but some people seem to be arguing otherwise...
Reply 28
Original post by Maddog Jones
If person A goes to a crap school and gets, say, BBB, and person B goes to a great school and also gets BBB, chances are person A is naturally more talented.

This is a case of person A getting ABBCF and person B getting AAAAB. You can't say "so and so would have got this had he gone to a better school", that's just making assumptions. Universities should view the facts, which is that person B got higher grades than person A.

You can have the best teachers in the world, but you've got to be prepared to work hard independently and put the time in to revise for your Highers.
Original post by DRE_902
This is a case of person A getting ABBCF and person B getting AAAAB. You can't say "so and so would have got this had he gone to a better school", that's just making assumptions. Universities should view the facts, which is that person B got higher grades than person A.

You can have the best teachers in the world, but you've got to be prepared to work hard independently and put the time in to revise for your Highers.

Sounds like rubbish to me. You think everybody in good schools get higher grades because they just happen to take on the best students? No. It's the quality of education. Universities do not 'discriminate', they simply choose the best students - and that's not always measured in grades, because education is inequal.
Original post by DRE_902
Not all state school kids live in absolute poverty; Not all private school kids are wealthy, upper class landlords. Yes, it's stating the obvious, but some people seem to be arguing otherwise...

I'm glad you said this last bit, I'm sick of people assuming that I must be really rich because I go to a private school, when in actual fact my mum works 3 jobs just to get enough money, I have a 50% bursary and my grandparents pay my fees.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by keyboard-warrior
don't worry, because there is an element of truth in what you say, edinburgh even say it themselves. They say they take into account contextual factors when deciding on applicants, implying that if you come from a crap background (i.e crap school, etc etc), then that'll help towards your application

so if they have two identical candidates, one goes to eton, the other goes to a run down school where no-one's actually gone on to university, they'll take the second applicant

its not quite as simple as that. my uncle works at Cambridge so i talk to him about this stuff, and he says that there is a certain number of places where they positively discriminate, however its not simply taking people from **** schools over good schools, its more about considering socio-economic background and seeing if some students have worked harder for their grades than kids who go to top private schools and have tutors in all their subjects. they try and weed out the lazy ones (obv not accusing OP of being lazy haha)

at the same time there are also a number of people at oxbridge who get in through money/family connections. so the positive discrimination is trying to balance out the privileged aspect of it
Original post by nickster146
its not quite as simple as that. my uncle works at Cambridge so i talk to him about this stuff, and he says that there is a certain number of places where they positively discriminate, however its not simply taking people from **** schools over good schools, its more about considering socio-economic background and seeing if some students have worked harder for their grades than kids who go to top private schools and have tutors in all their subjects. they try and weed out the lazy ones (obv not accusing OP of being lazy haha)

at the same time there are also a number of people at oxbridge who get in through money/family connections. so the positive discrimination is trying to balance out the privileged aspect of it

well your uncle works for cambridge not edinburgh (which is the uni OP is referring to), they're bound to have different policy. But I have actually phoned them up about this and they've stated (on their website as well) that they take into account contextual factors. I''ve not seen such clear hints of positive discrimination from other unis, so I get the sense that they take this into account moreso than say cambridge.
Reply 33
If this other guy didn't get a lower offer than normal, he'll get in on merit (or fail to get in) and they just didn't want you.
If this other guy did get a lower offer than normal, they just really wanted him for one reason or another (positive discrimination being one possibility).

Or perhaps they just think people don't really need lots of As in their Highers to do well on the course, so they don't use Higher grades as a deciding factor. :idontknow:
(edited 12 years ago)
I think Manchester turns down a fair few private school kids. They had better grades than me for less competitive courses, yet got rejected, even though they exceeded entry requirements. I think it's too much of a coincidence tbh...but there we have it :smile:
Original post by DRE_902
I recently applied to study Law at a well-known Scottish University. I got 4 A's and a B in my SQA Highers, which I thought would have been enough to get an offer, but as I recently found out, this was not the case and my application was unsuccessful.

I was at an Open Day a few months ago, and started talking to someone who had applied for the same course as me at the first University mentioned. He had 1 A, 2 B's and a C in his Highers, yet he was given a conditional offer, while I was rejected straight away.

The only difference I can see between us is that I go to a private school and he goes to a state school. I was wondering if anybody else has had a similar experience, or knows why a University would favour a pupil with lower grades over one with higher grades based purely upon their education?

It might seem as if I'm jumping to conclusions, but I have put a lot of thought in to this and I honestly can't think of a reason why I would have been rejected in favour of an applicant whose grades were quite a bit worse than mine. :confused:

Quite a big difference. Perhaps they had a better personal statement as well? I don't think people should really call it discrimination. Universities should try to take into account of everything, how well you've done despite or in-spite of your upbringing. I say this even though I go to a private school.
Reply 36
Original post by Maddog Jones
Sounds like rubbish to me. You think everybody in good schools get higher grades because they just happen to take on the best students? No. It's the quality of education. Universities do not 'discriminate', they simply choose the best students - and that's not always measured in grades, because education is inequal.

But surely the whole point of examinations are to find out who the best students are? Candidates should be judged based on what they have achieved, not what they could have achieved had they been in a different situation. We sat the same exams at the same time in the same conditions. Universities can't choose the "best students" based on hypothetical scenarios.

Discrimination: "treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing belongs rather than on individual merit"

The point I'm getting at is that my grades were higher than Candidate A. That is a fact. Yet because I fall in to the private school category and Candidate A falls in to the state school category, he was chosen above me. In my eyes, that's discrimination. Although I appreciate that there is a lack of sympathy for the private sector, so most of you will just laugh off my claims.

And I know that Universities consider more factors than just grades, but grades are the most important factor. That's why we spend three years sitting public examinations, and a matter of weeks writing a personal statement.
Reply 37
Original post by llys
If this other guy didn't get a lower offer than normal, he'll get in on merit (or fail to get in) and they just didn't want you.
If this other guy did get a lower offer than normal, they just really wanted him for one reason or another (positive discrimination being one possibility).

Or perhaps they just think people don't really need lots of As in their Highers to do well on the course, so they don't use Higher grades as a deciding factor. :idontknow:

The offer was for one B at Higher. So very, very easy conditions - considering the entry requirements were AAAA at Higher.
Reply 38
Original post by alexsasg
Or those that can't spell 'apostrophes" :wink:

What about incorrect use of inverted commas? :biggrin:
Reply 39
Original post by DRE_902
What about incorrect use of inverted commas? :biggrin:

Haha, that too. That was a mistake though, apostrophes and inverted commas are on the same button on my keyboard!

Latest

Trending

Trending