Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Working out intensities of X-rays using I=Ioe^(-ux)

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    An X-ray beam of initial intensity 50 Wm−2 is incident on soft tissue of attenuation coefficient 1.2 cm−1. Calculate its intensity after it has passed through a 5.0cm thickness of tissue.

A hint for this question is:
    The attenuation coefficient is given in cm-1, hence you can leave the thickness in cm.

So according the hint I get the answer:
    I=Ioe^(-ux)
    50 x e^(-1.2x5)= 0.12Wm-2, which is the correct answer according to the textbook.

But why should I leave the attenuation coefficient and the thickness in cm, when the intensity is measured in Wm-2? I thought that the calculation should have been:
    50 x e^(-0.0125x0.05)= 49.97Wm-2

Confused, please help
    • 35 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whotosee)
    An X-ray beam of initial intensity 50 Wm−2 is incident on soft tissue of attenuation coefficient 1.2 cm−1. Calculate its intensity after it has passed through a 5.0cm thickness of tissue.

A hint for this question is:
    The attenuation coefficient is given in cm-1, hence you can leave the thickness in cm.

So according the hint I get the answer:
    I=Ioe^(-ux)
    50 x e^(-1.2x5)= 0.12Wm-2, which is the correct answer according to the textbook.

But why should I leave the attenuation coefficient and the thickness in cm, when the intensity is measured in Wm-2? I thought that the calculation should have been:
    50 x e^(-0.0125x0.05)= 49.97Wm-2

Confused, please help
    It seems odd but it's ok.
    The units on the LHS are Wm-2 and the units on the RHS are Wm-2 x e(number)
    e(number) has no units (it's a pure number) so it doesn't affect the units of that side of the equation. The number in the bracket is also a pure number because its units cancel out.
    cm.cm-1 gives no unit.
    So as long as the coefficient and the length are in the same length unit it works!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stonebridge)
    It seems odd but it's ok.
    The units on the LHS are Wm-2 and the units on the RHS are Wm-2 x e(number)
    e(number) has no units (it's a pure number) so it doesn't affect the units of that side of the equation. The number in the bracket is also a pure number because its units cancel out.
    cm.cm-1 gives no unit.
    So as long as the coefficient and the length are in the same length unit it works!
    Thank you, the units cancelling out makes sense, but it means that I'll get a different answer every time I use a different unit?
    (Like when I got 49.97Wm-2 when I converted everything to metres instead of 0.12Wm-2 when using cms)
    In that case what units am I supposed to be using? Thanks
    • 35 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whotosee)
    Thank you, the units cancelling out makes sense, but it means that I'll get a different answer every time I use a different unit?
    (Like when I got 49.97Wm-2 when I converted everything to metres instead of 0.12Wm-2 when using cms)
    In that case what units am I supposed to be using? Thanks
    You correctly converted cm to m
    5cm = 0.05m
    You divide by 100
    But you don't do this when you convert cm-1 to m-1
    Then you multiply by 100

For example, if you have 5 items in a line per cm, then you would have 500 in a line 1m long. That is 500 per m
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stonebridge)
    You correctly converted cm to m
    5cm = 0.05m
    You divide by 100
    But you don't do this when you convert cm-1 to m-1
    Then you multiply by 100

For example, if you have 5 items in a line per cm, then you would have 500 in a line 1m long. That is 500 per m
    Aah, I see!! Thank you very much

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 5, 2012
New on TSR

What are your A-level predictions?

Join our AS and A2 results day chat thread

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.