The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

hi I am doing that exam.
For revision I have literally just read my class notes but I find this is not helping. Have you got any tips that might help ?
I am studying
civil rights in the usa and ideology in asia
Original post by blackroses19
hi I am doing that exam.
For revision I have literally just read my class notes but I find this is not helping. Have you got any tips that might help ?
I am studying
civil rights in the usa and ideology in asia

remaking notes on each section, maybe creating a mindmap for each is what I do, as well as detailed essay plans.

btw: studying Wars of the Roses and Henry VII. (dulldulldull)
i am doing civil rights as well and mao's china.
i was going to condense my notes to an a4 sheet and then condense to flash cards which is a good idea as it sticks in your head but it is VERY time consuming; it took me 2hrs to condense about 1/8 of my notes :/ that just is too long considering we have unit 2 to do as well and 2 topics for unit 1.what am going to do now is to plan essays, first from memory and then use a different coloured pen and a textbook and my notes and the internet to make another plan. then write the essay, the plan is that i will learn the content neccesary for the exam and remember it because i have used it in my argument, oh, and practice essays. :smile: i hope this helps, i am not sure if it is the best idea yet tho cause i havent started doing it, so if anyone knows a better way then please tell us lol :smile:
thanks that was very helpful. I am finding mind maps very useful.
BTW how are you coping with all your exams I have around 10 exams so I am kinda worried.
how many exams do you have?
Reply 5
Can anyone help me and tell me what was asked in january 2012 for civil rights and russian revolution , would be really great tonight thanks xx
Reply 6
im doing russian revolution and britain 1830-1875(22nd May)...
any revision help (especially for britain) would be MUUCCHHH appreciated!
Reply 7
I'm also doing the exam Option A; War of the Roses and Henry VII.
So far I've read through my notes a couple times, and translated all the information to a timeline - each event named and dated, then a summary of what happened it's immediate effects and then the solution/course of action and it's effects, then long term effects, For example:
1436 - HVI Begins to exercise power: (name of event and date)
- As an inexperienced and disinterested 14 year old, HVI was ill equipped to deal with complexity and problems that came with Kingship, in particular during this period as the crown/England's position was unstable both internationally and domestically.
-100 years war was forming as a failure as Duke of Burgundy had switched alliances to France in 1435 = Seriously effected vital wool trade which in turn tarnished nation's morale and increased poverty.
-War also meant an increase in tax - further discontent in the nation and increase in poverty.
-Nobility and royal family were divided due to previous fall out between Gloucester vs. Bedford over regency rule in 1422*
(^summary of the situation during the period and it's effects)

- In order to rule more efficiently and to replenish dwindling troop numbers in France, A patronage and clientage alliance was formed with the aristocracy. (course of action/solution)
Long term effects;
-HVI disinterest in being King allowed ambitious nobles to seize more power through influencing the King and gaining titles, grant and lands.
-An already divided family created an unstable government and crown = tension in the courts. HVI favouritism of the Beauforts and ignoring the Yorkists increased tension further.
-His easily influenced and overly generous attitude, coupled with favouritism lead to an imbalance in power = over mighty subjects, which inevitably meant the aristocracy posed as a threat to HVI position as King.

Where there are little stars, I write cue cards to elaborate on the situation/give definition etc. Also, I'm doing profiles on Key figures i.e. Richard, Duke of York, Some practise papers.
I've been teaching myself A levels so I haven't had a teacher to give me guidance on how to answer exam questions and so on - any tips on how to answer unit 1 exam q's will be really sweet! At the moment I'm just answering them as if they were an essay question - kind of like Eng lit.
Reply 8
Hi guys! Im doing unit 1: crisis in the middle east and arab states and republicanism civil war and francoism and for unit 2 : The experience of warfare in Britain 1854-1929 on edexcel board?
Reply 9
Does anybody know whats coming up in the exam on Tuesday 15th 2012? I'm doing civil rights and USA in Asia :frown:

Reply 10
as in has anybody got predictions?
Reply 11
i am doing luther, anyone got any predictions? xx
Reply 12
in germany btw not mlk x
Original post by andy0000
Does anybody know whats coming up in the exam on Tuesday 15th 2012? I'm doing civil rights and USA in Asia :frown:

Me too :frown: Wish I had a clue.

I just hope there won't be a Black Power question in Civil Rights.
(edited 11 years ago)
I'm doing Italy 1896-1943 and Germany 1945-1991

Anyone else doing either of them?

Pretty worried about the exam, I really hope I get given 'explain' questions as opposed to 'to what extent' ones, they seem a lot easier to answer...
Reply 15
Original post by Lorem Ipsum
I'm doing Italy 1896-1943 and Germany 1945-1991

Anyone else doing either of them?

Pretty worried about the exam, I really hope I get given 'explain' questions as opposed to 'to what extent' ones, they seem a lot easier to answer...

Im doing Italy as well but germany 1815-1871
I hope the questions aren't too vague but I actually like the how far questions
I'm doing civil rights; has anyone actually revised for the other ethnic minorities movements?
Original post by tasha_a
Im doing Italy as well but germany 1815-1871
I hope the questions aren't too vague but I actually like the how far questions

ah cool, I'm slightly annoyed with my history department as they haven't actually given us a timed mock in lesson time, so going into the exam will be the first time we've had to write it in exam conditions.

I agree, but the same time if they're too specific I don't want to be forced into writing too little...
Seems like everyone here is doing pretty different topics for Unit 1

I'm doing Russia 1881-1953..
Why did this have to be first :cry:
Original post by liltj123
Can anyone help me and tell me what was asked in january 2012 for civil rights and russian revolution , would be really great tonight thanks xx

I've heard the Russian paper was really easy- there was one question on WW2, another on the plans, one on the provisional government and another on economic changes under the tsar. I'm thinking this paper is going to be very difficult :frown: From question spotting it looks like something on the power struggle is going to come up as they've chosen collectivisation, industrialisation and the plans for the past 4 or so years. I still have a LOT of revision to do. Need to make more mind maps so I think its just going to be maths and history tomorrow. And probably biology in the evening..

Latest