Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My brain is deteriorating...

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not sure if this is the best place to get advice for this, so if you know of a better sub-forum, please let me know.

TL;DR: Tips on being more alert, being able to focus better and get distracted less. Also, tips on speeding up my brain.

Throughout my last term at Uni, I could not concentrate at all.

I would day dream during lectures and when it came to tutorials I did not know any answers to questions.

I am currently in first year doing Accounting and Finance, and during my two years at college I did accounting at achieved an A overall, my uni course is exactly the same as what I did at college but I just can't remember it. This is why I think something is wrong.

During college I started at the same time every day but now at uni I start at 9 on a Monday, 12 on a Tuesday, 9:30 on a Wednesday, don't attend Thursday and 10 on a Friday.

This meant I was going to sleep at 11pm on a Monday, 2am on a Tuesday, 11:30pm on a Wednesday, whenever I crashed on a Thursday and 12 on a Friday.

I would have 8 hours sleep, 1 hour to get ready, 1 hour to get to uni and be there on time. I thought this was OK for a while, but it seems not.

Also, during college we were constantly being tested, we were given questions to complete individually all the time and were put on the spot by the teacher to answer questions a lot. But now at uni you just sit and listen to a lecturer, then sit and copy answers off a tutor. So I'm not longer thinking about how to do things.

And I also changed my eating habits to try and get healthier, they seem much better now as I don't eat as much junk and eat ore healthier foods. But I'm not exercising at all, I just sit around playing games and reading random stuff all day. The only exercise I get is walking to my bus stop, walking from the bus station to the train station, then walking from the train to uni. So it's about 30 mins to an hour walking a day.

So all those reason are why I think my head is messed up.

So the reason why I'm telling you is that I need help in trying to become more alert, get better at concentrating during lectures and tips on how I can get my brain back up to speed like it was in college and catch up on work I've missed because I wasn't listening in lectures.

Thank you so much for reading and I really appreciate any and all help!

P.s. it took me ages to right this as I kept looking out my bedroom window at nothing.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It took 2 hours for my post to be allowed by mods??

Anyway, a little more info;
    -I don't do any drugs
    -I rarely drink, get drunk but not smashed once every 3/4 weeks
    -I don't smoke
    -On Thursday I used to sleep until 2-3 in the afternoon
    -On weekends I'd do the same, but one time I went to sleep at 9am and woke up at 7pm and a few times woke up at 4-5pm
    -Part of me is saying 'I got an A at A level, it's all the same work so I can pass' and another part is saying 'My head's screwed, I'm gunna fail.' I tend to listen to the former but it's the latter that's true.
    -I don't usually feel awake until 8-9pm
    -It's incredibly hard to get out of bed when there's nothing to do that day.

I'm currently doing A-levels and my academics have been on a downward trend since year 9 SATs. The reason ( I believe) that has caused it is my lifestyle which used to be active and healthy, but now all I do is watch TV and play games which means I can't even concentrate for a full hour at school!

Just realised that was no help :P
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Of course it was, you're kind of confirming one of my suspicions.
    I reckon sitting around watching TV and Netflix all is really not helping.
    • 44 followers

ReputationRep:
    did you make your thread long because we care?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Munchies-YumYum)
    did you make your thread long because we care?
    I did but a TL;DR at the beginning.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    This happened to me too - My lectures are sporadic and far between, one day at 9 am, then at 1 pm etc. I ended up going to sleep at 3/4 am each night and wasting my time watching TV online, procrastinating on social sites etc and i'd generally be lethargic all day except when I played sports.

Now that it's the Easter holidays and exams are coming around i've sorted this out by:

Getting a decent sleep routine - I go to bed between 12:00 and 1:00 pretty much every night and get a good 8 hours sleep.
    Doing regular exercise - I always did this, but irregularly, on top of playing football I now run regularly and throw in some HIIT too, this keeps me fit and helps me sleep.
    Eat healthier / Keep hydrated - This also helps stave off lethargy and helps you focus throughout the day. Get a good breakfast, I go for porridge with a sliced banana. Then eat some fruit and other healthy food throughout the day to keep your energy up.

I think you just have to try and get yourself into a healthy routine, but you'll have to find the motivation for this yourself - I hope I helped. :cookie:
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Do lots of puzzle books, like crosswords and sudoku! Works for me
    If I get drunk I always want to do some puzzles the day after to replace all those brain cells I lost, haha :P
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    You seem to need quite a lot of sleep.
    Could you be depressed?
    If not, maybe you should make a doctor's appointment to see if there's anything physical wrong.
    • 44 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Conchiron)
    I did but a TL;DR at the beginning.
    have you tried piracetam + choline yet? it can increase your awareness and concentration, if you're really suffering then you should maybe make a visit to your doctor instead of consulting tsr
    • 44 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XxelliexX)
    Do lots of puzzle books, like crosswords and sudoku! Works for me
    If I get drunk I always want to do some puzzles the day after to replace all those brain cells I lost, haha :P
    most philosophers do that lol
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    most philosophers do that lol
    Really? That's interesting... I never knew that... I'll ask my friends who are doing philosophy at uni if they do it too
    • 44 followers

ReputationRep:
    Really? That's interesting... I never knew that... I'll ask my friends who are doing philosophy at uni if they do it too
    only the sophisticated ones, the thinkers such as socrates, plato, aristotle
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Cocaine!
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    only the sophisticated ones, the thinkers such as socrates, plato, aristotle
    Haha, that implies that I'm one of 'the sophisticated ones' like socrates, plato and aristotle!
    • 44 followers

ReputationRep:
    Haha, that implies that I'm one of 'the sophisticated ones' like socrates, plato and aristotle!
    excluding you, of course
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    have you tried piracetam + choline yet? it can increase your awareness and concentration, if you're really suffering then you should maybe make a visit to your doctor instead of consulting tsr
    Take that pic down, you'll hurt someone if they have epilepsy
    • 44 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pogiberto)
    Take that pic down, you'll hurt someone if they have epilepsy
    i see it rather as training them to become resistant to epilepsy
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I pretty much have the same problem. I have an attention span of 2-3 secs and my memory is as good as a goldfish. I dunno whats wrong, i use to be so good in high school and ever since I came to uni ive been really screwed.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 5, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.