The Student Room Group

household income: do siblings matter?

Hello everyone!
I'm about to apply for a maintenance loan/grant and I was wondering if in the household income is included what my brother earns. He doesn't live with my parents anymore though he didn't change his residency so on all the documents he's still living with them (if this can help, I'm from Italy and both my parents and my brother still live there). I've been living alone and self-supporting for almost a year now but as I understood this doesn't really matter.
Anyway, my doubt is: is the household income what me and my parents earn, or what me, my brother and my parents earn? I'm asking because in case I could ask him to finally change the documents, since he's living with his girlfriend for something like 3 years now...
Reply 1
No, your siblings income doesn't matter. Only that of your parents, if you're under 25.

However, have you been living in the UK for 3+ years? If you haven't then you will be entitled to a tuition fee loan only, and that is not income assessed.
Reply 2
Original post by Shani
No, your siblings income doesn't matter. Only that of your parents, if you're under 25.

However, have you been living in the UK for 3+ years? If you haven't then you will be entitled to a tuition fee loan only, and that is not income assessed.

Actually I was told that since I'm not living in the UK for 3+ years I could only be entitled to a maintenance loan/grant, and absolutely not to the tuition fee loan! °_°
Reply 3
Original post by emptyfield
Actually I was told that since I'm not living in the UK for 3+ years I could only be entitled to a maintenance loan/grant, and absolutely not to the tuition fee loan! °_°

No, as an EU student you get a tuition fee loan only and no maintenance loan or grant.
Reply 4
oh but I opened this thread a while ago
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1947937
where you answered me, and from those answers I understood that I'm NOT entitled to a tuition loan, not even one for one year only, cause I've been not living here for long enough... (I understood that in case they'd just pay for one year because of my previous study but I understood that I'm not eligible for that either!)
Reply 5
Ah, ok.

This post still stands :smile:

You may qualify under the migrant worker scheme, although you can gain and lose this status throughout your studies if you're not working. You're right with the 3 year residency requirement for full financial support, without being a migrant worker. This website has a wealth of information: http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/student/eea.php

However - as you will have two years previous study at higher education, even if you qualify for financial support from SF, you would only get a maintenance loan in your first year (no tuition fee support), as would be the rules for any EU/UK student with previous study.

If you don't qualify under the migrant worker rules then you will get no financial support, including no tuition fee loan, in your first year

If you don't qualify as a migrant worker there won't be any funding at all during your first year, and a tuition fee loan only for subsequent years.

If you do qualify as a migrant worker you will get a maintenance loan only in year 1, and full funding in years 2 and 3. Your sibling's earnings won't matter at all, for anything.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending