The Student Room Group

Anyone else feeling bored & fed up of GCSEs?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Cubic
Interpreting exaggeration literally...

Who's ignorant now?

In the words of Hosea Ballou "Exaggeration is a blood relation to falsehood and nearly as blamable."
Why is it that everytime a Year 11 expresses how they want to do A-Levels, as they want to study the subjects that they like in more depth, somebody from college or University jumps down our throats telling us we will be crying when it comes to A-Levels as it requires lots of hard work? What about those of us who are prepared to, and want to put a lot of hard work, effort and dedication into our studies? Will we still be crying? Because I'm pretty sure I won't be missing GCSE's such as English Lang/Lit, ICT, RE etc.
Reply 22
Original post by CharlieBoardman
Why is it that everytime a Year 11 expresses how they want to do A-Levels, as they want to study the subjects that they like in more depth, somebody from college or University jumps down our throats telling us we will be crying when it comes to A-Levels as it requires lots of hard work? What about those of us who are prepared to, and want to put a lot of hard work, effort and dedication into our studies? Will we still be crying? Because I'm pretty sure I won't be missing GCSE's such as English Lang/Lit, ICT, RE etc.

You don't understand what you have until it's gone.
I'm a sixth former doing A levels, and I'll tell all you GCSE guys.. you're all absolutely right. I much much much prefer A levels to GCSEs because I LIKE my subjects! Just struggle on revising and next year will be much better if you've chosen the right subjects :smile:
Reply 24
Original post by -strawberry-
I'm a sixth former doing A levels, and I'll tell all you GCSE guys.. you're all absolutely right. I much much much prefer A levels to GCSEs because I LIKE my subjects! Just struggle on revising and next year will be much better if you've chosen the right subjects :smile:

You've restored my faith in humanity, thank you.
Original post by Cubic
You've restored my faith in humanity, thank you.

Haha, no problem :smile:

I know I for one couldn't wait to start my A levels. Anything to give up English and RS :rolleyes:
Original post by -strawberry-
Haha, no problem :smile:

I know I for one couldn't wait to start my A levels. Anything to give up English and RS :rolleyes:

Exactly how I am feeling right now!!!
Original post by Alexandra's Box
YES.

I won't miss the easiness of GCSEs as some seem to think because I ACTUALLY WANT TO WORK AND GET ON WITH LIFE.

Roll on Y12!

On your sig you say your awaiting your results in August 2011? Shouldn't it be 2012.

I'm sick of going to school, we don't learn anything useful apart from History anyway.
Original post by Calllu-m
I said this this time last year.

YOU WILL ALL MISS GCSES IGNORANT YEAR 11s.

IB and A Levels are DIFFICULT.
You are spoonfed the work you need and need to regurgitate information to do well. Sixth form level is MUCH MUCH MUCH more independent. More time consuming and more difficult.

It's funny because once you get to uni you'll be saying the exact same thing about A levels as you're saying about GCSEs now.
Ha ha. I remember when I felt like this. Dw, you guys only have 2-3 months left and these will go by FAST. Believe me. I doubt I'm not the only one to say this.

When you get to college, you'll look back and think GCSE? GCSE who?! :ahee:
Original post by TimmonaPortella
It's funny because once you get to uni you'll be saying the exact same thing about A levels as you're saying about GCSEs now.

probably. Mind I do IB and I know people who breezed uni after finding the IB incredibly tough
you guys wait until you're at university...

oh how i miss a levels!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Calllu-m
probably. Mind I do IB and I know people who breezed uni after finding the IB incredibly tough

Well tbf it will depend to a large extent on your course, so you might not come to think that about IB, and not even everyone will think that about A levels for the same reason. That said, I thought that about A levels at the time. They're mostly highly rote-learnable. Even things like maths can be rote learned, just you're probably going to struggle to hit the A*s (I know quite a few people who got As at A2 by just mechanically learning how to do each question). The extent to which A levels are painted to GCSE students as some kind of deep thinking, intellectual paradise is in my view massively overexaggerated.

Sorry to put a downer on the thread but, kids, you're probably going to spend the next 2 years doing much the same as you're doing now.
Reply 33
Original post by supergrantholt
I agree with the OP. I know work will get harder at A-level, more time has to be put in for revision etc. etc. but at the end of the day doing tedious GCSEs that I don't have any interest in is a de-motivator in itself.
I'm actually looking forward to work getting harder for the A-levels that I'm interested in!

Yep! All of the A Levels I am doing I know I will love (Apart from economics, I've never done that subject before but it looks good :biggrin:) so the work, although being harder, will be much more enjoyable and interesting.
Reply 34
This time last year I was so sick of GCSE's as well. It's worst when you hit June, and you're doing your last few exams. It just drags on for ages. At AS all of my exams are pretty much within a two week period, and it isn't as painful revising because I actually like my subjects (excluding computing which I fricking hate!!!!!) But you know... revision is revision. It's not particularly fun whatever you're revising. Learning the content I found fun, and practising maths I find fun, but memorising facts, and model answers for the sake of being able to meet marking criteria is not fun.
(edited 12 years ago)
Don't worry guys, I felt exactly the same way this time last year. I remember just being so sick of them - it felt like my whole school life had been leading up to GCSEs so by the time they were coming to a head it seemed like we'd been doing them forever. Just try to get into a routine for revising and stay organised, have a break if you get stressed and drink lots of tea (it was during GCSEs that I became a fan of the radio and addicted to tea! Fearne Cotton, Greg James and PG Tips definitely helped me through that period :smile: ) The good thing about GCSEs though, is that because you've been doing them for so long you already know exactly what you need to focus on and your best way of revising. Just try to make it through the next few weeks, do your best, then you can have a great summer and it will all be worth it on results day!

People would always say to me "GCSEs will become a distant memory - at the time, they're all-consuming, but you will barely remember them". Of course, that sounded ridiculous and I thought they were the most important thing in the world. But, honestly, it is true. All those hours I spent learning about mitosis and the different tests for acids have literally disappeared from my memory, and now when I think of that period I can only remember Bruno Mars being repeatedly on the radio and the relief I felt on walking out of the exam hall each day.

Don't worry about A Levels yet - yes, they're harder, but personally I think it's more because the exams and assessment criteria are so different to GCSE, and while you've had years to learn how to answer GCSE questions you have no time to adjust to A Level. So, just revise hard now - don't leave yourself the opportunity to look back and say "If I'd worked harder I would've done better" - have a great summer and truly relax (you'll need to be fully recharged come September!) and then when you get back to school stay organised and ask for help from the beginning.

Good luck!
Reply 36
Original post by brightbulb
I'm in year 11, and just feeling fed up of school :frown: I can't get the motivation to revise, and am just sick of doing subjects I don't care about :/

Can't wait until sixth form, where I won't have to do so many subjects and none that I hate :biggrin:

Anyone else feeling this way?

FEELING you bro!

I just hate the never-ending drone my English teachers go on for! D:
Can't wait to whiz my head around maths and further maths (more maths yay!) Oh and a few languages. I can do OVER 9000x better without the burden of English, History and Graphics in my head! I'll enjoy sixth form.
Reply 37
Original post by iSoftie
FEELING you bro!

Can't wait to whiz my head around maths and further maths (more maths yay!) Oh and a few languages. I can do OVER 9000x better without the burden of English, History and Graphics in my head! I'll enjoy sixth form.

Ah, same with the english -_-
For me I can't wait to start doing history and sociology :biggrin:
Can't wait to give up maths & french haha!
Original post by iSoftie
FEELING you bro!

Take you're an English Hater/Maths fanatic like myself :biggrin:
What options are you taking at College? :smile:
Reply 39
Can't wait for it to be done, but dreading all of the work and revision needed to be done in sixth form

Quick Reply

Latest