The Student Room Group

Anyone else feeling bored & fed up of GCSEs?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kILLERm
Thanks for the reply mate. I am very keen to do a dentistry course at University. At the moment, I am predicted mainly As with a few Bs. Will this be good enough if they were to look at my GCSE grades due to extremely high demand. I don't think I'll be able to accomplish my dream. I'm always motivated towards my studies which is why I believe I have a chance to succeed at A levels.

I mean be realistic. Do I have a chance mate?

Also, have a look here http://search.ucas.com/cgi-bin/hsrun/search/search/StateId/QoZNDyF4FEGZX1oNuWkk4R3qDpCcE-V4N1/HAHTpage/search.HsKeywordSearch.whereNext?query=181&word=DENTISTRY
Click on the courses, and then click on the entrance requirements, and the course specific requirements. Scroll down to GCSE, and have a look. You'll find a few Universities do demand high level GCSE's (Minimum 7a's), but then some only ask for a C grade at Maths and English.
Original post by kILLERm
I have decided to pick Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Accounting (although I'll only study Accounting upto AS Level). But I've seen a University which offers a dentistry course for candidates that have achieved a minimum of 3 Grade Cs at A Levels (including 2 science subjects). This is only new which is why the requirements are low. Would I have a chance to get into this University?

Those are great A-Level choices. Maths, Biology and Chemistry are all referred to as being 'STEM' subjects. STEM Subjects are the most respected subjects.

I don't think you should be trying to aim for the University with the lowest entry requirements, this isn't what I meant. You should try and achieve the best grades you possibly can at A-Level, and set your ambitions high! Why don't you try and aim for AAA at A-Level? It's definitely doable with the determination needed. If you want it that much, you will try your hardest to succeed in following up your dream. Aim for the top, and don't have the mindset of, 'I only need CCC'. This way, you will get a lot more out of life :smile:
Original post by CharlieBoardman
Ah, bet that was a bit gutting for you. It has to be a debate? I am unsure as to what I would study for my EPQ then... But I have plenty of time to decide, I'll think of something!! :smile:

Hahaha! Best topic I have heard of yet.

Universities care more about your AS and A-Level grades, rather than GCSE. A-Levels are a much better indicator or academic ability

Yeah, it has to be a debate if you do the written report (doesn't have to be if you make something or organise a fashion show or something), and at the end you need to be able to draw some sort of conclusion from your findings. It also needs to be a topic for which you will be able to find lots of good source material.
Those are great A-Level choices. Maths, Biology and Chemistry are all referred to as being 'STEM' subjects. STEM Subjects are the most respected subjects.

I don't think you should be trying to aim for the University with the lowest entry requirements, this isn't what I meant. You should try and achieve the best grades you possibly can at A-Level, and set your ambitions high! Why don't you try and aim for AAA at A-Level? It's definitely doable with the determination needed. If you want it that much, you will try your hardest to succeed in following up your dream. Aim for the top, and don't have the mindset of, 'I only need CCC'. This way, you will get a lot more out of life :smile:

You speak as if you've already done your A-levels. It definitely difficult to get 3As btw. In my year a some of the people who were expecting straight As in their january modules ended up with Cs and Ds, even some Us. Don't underestimate them.
Bah, I don't know what I'm even doing on the GCSE forums to be fair, this thread just popped up on the main page and I thought I had something to contribute :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Millyshyn
Yeah, it has to be a debate if you do the written report (doesn't have to be if you make something or organise a fashion show or something), and at the end you need to be able to draw some sort of conclusion from your findings. It also needs to be a topic for which you will be able to find lots of good source material.

You speak as if you've already done your A-levels. It definitely difficult to get 3As btw. In my year a some of the people who were expecting straight As in their january modules ended up with Cs and Ds, even some Us. Don't underestimate them.
Bah, I don't know what I'm even doing on the GCSE forums to be fair, this thread just popped up on the main page and I thought I had something to contribute :tongue:

You need to write 5000 words don't you? So you definitely need a lot to talk about!

I don't speak as if I've done them I don't think.. I never said getting AAA would be easy! Because it won't be, A-Levels are supposed to be much harder than GCSE. I was simply saying achieving AAA isnt impossible, and can be done if you have the determinations and will power. There is no underestimation here :smile: I knew somebody who was predicted BBB, but with a lot of hard work, he proved everybody wrong and got A*A*A. Just goes to show what you can do if you put everything you have into it. . Just trying to motivate somebody to set their sights high, not give up on their dream and to believe in theirself. :smile:
Reply 104

Yes but what if I struggle?. At least if I don't do 'that' well, I still have a backup plan. What do you think?
Original post by kILLERm
Yes but what if I struggle?. At least if I don't do 'that' well, I still have a backup plan. What do you think?

Well yes, you should always have a back up plan. If in the event you do struggle with your A-Levels, and don't get what you wanted, and the entry requirements for this course you have found are still within your reach, it would be worth considering. But as I keep stressing, aim for the top, don't be so pessimistic! :smile:
I was like that at GCSEs, I did loads of subjects I didn't really enjoy and couldn't wait to do subjects enjoyed. Now i'm at sixth form, I enjoy all of my subjects however there is a lot of revision but because I enjoy my subjects, it keeps me motivated.
Reply 107
Well yes, you should always have a back up plan. If in the event you do struggle with your A-Levels, and don't get what you wanted, and the entry requirements for this course you have found are still within your reach, it would be worth considering. But as I keep stressing, aim for the top, don't be so pessimistic! :smile:

I'm just afraid that my GCSE grades will be the reason to why I may not be able to accomplish this dream. I knew from the start that people applying for a dentistry course would be the ones with straight A*s in their GCSEs and maybe in their A Levels as well. What chance would I have if I happened to be up against these people. I'd probably be on 'You've been framed'. It'd be an embarasment.

I am not concerned about my work ethic. To be honest, when I want to work, I can work. I can motivate myself but I can't achieve straight A*s for some reason. I believe Bs at GCSE are classed as a FAIL for someone who is planning to have a career like me. I bet I wont be able to do it mate. You're a nice person and I appreciate the fact that you're trying your best to encourage me but the truth is, I wont be able to do it. What chance have I got of achieving straight As in my A Levels if I can't achieve them with ease at GCSE?.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by FranticMind
That is true, but unfortunately people don't.

Well I did Maths, Physics, Electronics, Computing to A level and I'm at UCL doing Electronic Engineering.

I would definitely say that A levels dictate where and what course you'll do.

What are your A level choices? (I assume you've already made them?)

I'm doing Classics, History, Maths and Biology :smile:
Reply 109
I was like you this time last year. Just make sure that you do put a bit of effort in as I got so fed up I gave up on most of my subjects, and that had a big impact on my grades.
Original post by kILLERm
I'm just afraid that my GCSE grades will be the reason to why I may not be able to accomplish this dream. I knew from the start that people applying for a dentistry course would be the ones with straight A*s in their GCSEs and maybe in their A Levels as well. What chance would I have if I happened to be up against these people. I'd probably be on 'You've been framed'. It'd be an embarasment.

I am not concerned about my work ethic. To be honest, when I want to work, I can work. I can motivate myself but I can't achieve straight A*s for some reason. I believe Bs at GCSE are classed as a FAIL for someone who is planning to have a career like me. I bet I wont be able to do it mate. You're a nice person and I appreciate the fact that you're trying your best to encourage me but the truth is, I wont be able to do it. What chance have I got of achieving straight As in my A Levels if I can't achieve them with ease at GCSE?.

Because ive seen people do it. Thats why you have a chance. If I were you, I wouldn't give up so easily. I've said everything I can, it's all up to you now.. At the moment, you are studying lots of subjects, so you cannot concentrate solely on the subjecs relevant to your career choice. At A-Level, yes the subjects get harder, but you narrow down your subjects to exactly what you want to be doing, and then you are giving 100% attention to the subjects you need and enjoy.

Give it your best.
Reply 111
Because ive seen people do it. Thats why you have a chance. If I were you, I wouldn't give up so easily. I've said everything I can, it's all up to you now.. At the moment, you are studying lots of subjects, so you cannot concentrate solely on the subjecs relevant to your career choice. At A-Level, yes the subjects get harder, but you narrow down your subjects to exactly what you want to be doing, and then you are giving 100% attention to the subjects you need and enjoy.

Give it your best.

Thanks. I'll try my absolute best when the time comes. I just hope this work pays off and gets me a huge step closer to accomplishing my dream. But would a minimum of 6 A grades at GCSEs be a great achievement in this case.
Original post by kILLERm
Thanks. I'll try my absolute best when the time comes. I just hope this work pays off and gets me a huge step closer to accomplishing my dream. But would a minimum of 6 A grades at GCSEs be a great achievement in this case.

If you try your best, and you get 6A's, and you have honestly put everything you possibly could into your studies, then yes of course it is an achievement :smile: it is also more than some good universities ask for. Some of the better universities that I looked at on UCAS asked for 5 Grade A's at GCSE.
just y'all wait till Alevel you'll GCSE's like theres no tomorrow.
Original post by multiplexing-gamer
You look quite a prominent member of TSR for a year 11. Have you checked out the current year 11 thread?

I'm a study nerd :biggrin:
Yep I've looked at it but I don't tend to follow threads... conversations get confusing!
Be careful what you wish for, I was like that when I left secondary school in 2011.
Reply 116
If you try your best, and you get 6A's, and you have honestly put everything you possibly could into your studies, then yes of course it is an achievement :smile: it is also more than some good universities ask for. Some of the better universities that I looked at on UCAS asked for 5 Grade A's at GCSE.

But could I also count this Level 2 Btec Diploma as 1 GCSE. I know I'm a retard for picking something terrible such as that. I wasn't aware of its bad value in yr 9. But now I hate every bit of it. I'm on a D* but could I count that along with my short course as 2 A*s. I mean all that hard work for that Btec subject. It has to be worth at least 1 GCSE or else there's no point me trying in that subject anymore.
I feel the same about GCSEs - TOTALLY FED UP OF THEM.

However, I can totally see where the Sixth Formers on this thread are coming from!

I WAS looking forward to going into sixth form but there's so much more work and 'independent study' time at home involved. Plus revision. My friend who is a year older than me went into sixth form this year and all she ever does is study, study, study at home from the minute she gets in to the minute she goes to bed... and nearly everyone in this particular year is doing really badly, apparently they are (in the school's own words) "the worst sixth form they've ever had". I do put a decent amount of effort and time into my GCSEs to be fair, as I feel a lot of pressure to do well, but I get sooo stressed and wound up, I really don't know how I'm going to cope with A Levels!!! :confused:

I have chosen Psychology, Art, History and Biology, but to be honest after being fast tracked for the History Paper 1, getting an A Grade in it and then being told I have to resit it because an A isn't 'good enough' for the school and now having to re-revise what I thought I'd washed my hands of has made me a bit sick of what was my favourite subject.

I'm starting to dread Sixth Form.

Sorry for the reeeeeally long post but I need a rant.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 118
Original post by NothingTraLaLa
I feel the same about GCSEs - TOTALLY FED UP OF THEM.

However, I can totally see where the Sixth Formers on this thread are coming from!

I WAS looking forward to going into sixth form but there's so much more work and 'independent study' time at home involved. Plus revision. My friend who is a year older than me went into sixth form this year and all she ever does is study, study, study at home from the minute she gets in to the minute she goes to bed... and nearly everyone in this particular year is doing really badly, apparently they are (in the school's own words) "the worst sixth form they've ever had". I do put a decent amount of effort and time into my GCSEs to be fair, as I feel a lot of pressure to do well, but I get sooo stressed and wound up, I really don't know how I'm going to cope with A Levels!!! :confused:

I have chosen Psychology, Art, History and Biology, but to be honest after being fast tracked for the History Paper 1, getting an A Grade in it and then being told I have to resit it because an A isn't 'good enough' for the school and now having to re-revise what I thought I'd washed my hands of has made me a bit sick of what was my favourite subject.

I'm starting to dread Sixth Form.

Sorry for the reeeeeally long post but I need a rant.

It may be a huge step from GCSE to A Level but think about it. You will have far less subjects to concentrate on. This'll mean that you will be able to concentrate on your prefered subjects. Most Unis don't take your GCSE results into account. If the demand for a certain course gets too high then it may be neccessary to look further into the image and maybe judge you on your GCSE results. What are you looking to become and what are you predicted for your GCSEs at the moment?
Original post by kILLERm
It may be a huge step from GCSE to A Level but think about it. You will have far less subjects to concentrate on. This'll mean that you will be able to concentrate on your prefered subjects. Most Unis don't take your GCSE results into account. If the demand for a certain course gets too high then it may be neccessary to look further into the image and maybe judge you on your GCSE results. What are you looking to become and what are you predicted for your GCSEs at the moment?

Jesus, you sound like me....

Quick Reply