Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone else feeling bored & fed up of GCSEs?

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AishaTara)
    you've got 8 other subjects which is enough so get good grades in those, and you'll be fine you can also use the dentistry program created by vulpes to check which universities you are eligble to apply to with your results! But, your results are fine for dentistry!
    Thanks for the encouragement. Work ethic isn't a probalem for me as I can motivate myself whenever I need to. The problem is I just can't find the time to concentrate on all of these subjects. In the past, I've revised properly for my science, maths and maybe for Geography. But for the rest, I've left them to the end as I believe there's not much you can possibly revise.

I believe that my school are responsible for my decision to pick the Btec. It's called Fulwood Academy and it's ****. Only 75% of students achieved 5 A*-C grades which just tells the story. The Btec teacher not only told me but also my dad that it's worth 4 A*-C grades. This changed my mindset and I was thinking '4 A* grades could make a huge difference'. The fu*king problem is that after a full year of hard work and commitment, I was told that it's only worth 1 and in some cases 2 GCSE grades. And now after doing some individual research, I have come to know that it's worth jack sh*t. I mean I could've done another GCSE instead and achieved possibly another A/A*. They've already ruined half of my dreams. Now I'll have to work twice as hard to achieve the neccessary grades if I want any chance of becoming a dentist.
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kILLERm)
    Thanks for the encouragement. Work ethic isn't a probalem for me as I can motivate myself whenever I need to. The problem is I just can't find the time to concentrate on all of these subjects. In the past, I've revised properly for my science, maths and maybe for Geography. But for the rest, I've left them to the end as I believe there's not much you can possibly revise.

I believe that my school are responsible for my decision to pick the Btec. It's called Fulwood Academy and it's ****. Only 75% of students achieved 5 A*-C grades which just tells the story. The Btec teacher not only told me but also my dad that it's worth 4 A*-C grades. This changed my mindset and I was thinking '4 A* grades could make a huge difference'. The fu*king problem is that after a full year of hard work and commitment, I was told that it's only worth 1 and in some cases 2 GCSE grades. And now after doing some individual research, I have come to know that it's worth jack sh*t. I mean I could've done another GCSE instead and achieved possibly another A/A*. They've already ruined half of my dreams. Now I'll have to work twice as hard to achieve the neccessary grades if I want any chance of becoming a dentist.
    Don't think like that! you could always pick up GCSE statistics over the summer do that, and get an A or A*. Most people I know who got an A* or A in maths got the same grade in stats, and personally i self studied it in 3 weeks and got a good grade. Don't worry about the btec now, whats done is done, but its a mistake you can learn from! Next time you'll research stuff and decide how credible your source is. for example, your teachers sometimes aren't very reliable, so dont go by what they say. Coming from a bad school often gives you an advantage.
    Plus if youre from a bad school you can go through an access program which means you only need ABB or BBC at a-level.
    8 gcses are A* and A grade are enough, if theres any subject I can help with- e.g. with revision tips, notes etc feel free to message me. I had 26 GCSE exams and although half exams I left revision till the last minute, I managed to pull some good grades, and tbh if I can do it, anyone can!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Florence321)
    Don't worry guys, I felt exactly the same way this time last year. I remember just being so sick of them - it felt like my whole school life had been leading up to GCSEs so by the time they were coming to a head it seemed like we'd been doing them forever. Just try to get into a routine for revising and stay organised, have a break if you get stressed and drink lots of tea (it was during GCSEs that I became a fan of the radio and addicted to tea! Fearne Cotton, Greg James and PG Tips definitely helped me through that period ) The good thing about GCSEs though, is that because you've been doing them for so long you already know exactly what you need to focus on and your best way of revising. Just try to make it through the next few weeks, do your best, then you can have a great summer and it will all be worth it on results day!

People would always say to me "GCSEs will become a distant memory - at the time, they're all-consuming, but you will barely remember them". Of course, that sounded ridiculous and I thought they were the most important thing in the world. But, honestly, it is true. All those hours I spent learning about mitosis and the different tests for acids have literally disappeared from my memory, and now when I think of that period I can only remember Bruno Mars being repeatedly on the radio and the relief I felt on walking out of the exam hall each day.

Don't worry about A Levels yet - yes, they're harder, but personally I think it's more because the exams and assessment criteria are so different to GCSE, and while you've had years to learn how to answer GCSE questions you have no time to adjust to A Level. So, just revise hard now - don't leave yourself the opportunity to look back and say "If I'd worked harder I would've done better" - have a great summer and truly relax (you'll need to be fully recharged come September!) and then when you get back to school stay organised and ask for help from the beginning.

Good luck!
    This was one of my favorite posts. I'm taking 27 exams this may/june along with 2 art exams next week! I truly do feel that it is the "most important thing in my life. I feel alot of pressure to get straight A* (i am doin igcse btw) but your post made me feel a bit better... thank you!
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cubic)
    Answering on behalf of every sane person: circuits.
    Haha you know!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    HAHAHAHAAHA.

Sorry thats just so funny.... Wait til a levels and university.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Only 75% of students achieved 5 A*-C grades which just tells the story.
    75% is good mate, most state schools are around the 60-70% mark.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brightbulb)
    75% is good mate, most state schools are around the 60-70% mark.
    It's an academy. And I hate it. Most of the teachers just can't be bothered to remark any cousework. I'm doing 8 and 1/2 GCSEs and I need at least 5 As to have a chance of Dentistry. I already have 1 A for Science Core. But the problem is that I'm so close to an A for English Language but I'm not getting any support and encouragement from the teachers. They always seem to say 'They have gone for moderation so we can't tell you where you're at the moment because it could change.' I just want a brief image of where I'm at and they just seem to come up with excuses whenever I try to approach them.

I mean would 5 or more As be good enough for dentistry after attempting 8 full GCSEs?
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AishaTara)
    Don't think like that! you could always pick up GCSE statistics over the summer do that, and get an A or A*. Most people I know who got an A* or A in maths got the same grade in stats, and personally i self studied it in 3 weeks and got a good grade. Don't worry about the btec now, whats done is done, but its a mistake you can learn from! Next time you'll research stuff and decide how credible your source is. for example, your teachers sometimes aren't very reliable, so dont go by what they say. Coming from a bad school often gives you an advantage.
    Plus if youre from a bad school you can go through an access program which means you only need ABB or BBC at a-level.
    8 gcses are A* and A grade are enough, if theres any subject I can help with- e.g. with revision tips, notes etc feel free to message me. I had 26 GCSE exams and although half exams I left revision till the last minute, I managed to pull some good grades, and tbh if I can do it, anyone can!
    Hey can you sit a GCSE in Statistics over the Summer? Because I was planning to do it in yr 12 because my School is crap as well I'm doing a GCSE in Astronomy and Latin in yr 12 as well to beef up my GCSEs btw GCSEs aren't that important and I need to compensate it for a D or a C in English Literature..
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iSoftie)
    Hey can you sit a GCSE in Statistics over the Summer? Because I was planning to do it in yr 12 because my School is crap as well I'm doing a GCSE in Astronomy and Latin in yr 12 as well to beef up my GCSEs btw GCSEs aren't that important and I need to compensate it for a D or a C in English Literature..
    Not over the summer but in Novemeber, however you can do the work over summer. I wouldn't do too many though as you dont want your a-levels to suffer.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I had this issue a lot at GCSE and guess what... I still have it at A-Level :'D
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FranticMind)
    Wow IB is supposed to be tough! Well I picked A levels that I was into, so I pretty much narrowed down the degrees into what I could do and what I enjoyed.

I then picked from them what I thought to be the best course relating to what I enjoyed studying at A level. As for university, I picked the highest ranked one that I thought I would enjoy studying at.
    It is supposed to be, I have no idea how I'm going to handle it with my personality, haha. Ahh, thanks a lot, that helps a lot! Going to be a few chaotic years for me.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lil-mazie)
    Mate, im in the same boat as you. I have always wanted to do dentistry since....well i can remember but to be honest i was a pretty lazy person who NEVER revised, sometimes i got Bs and As but other times i have Ds and Cs.
    So it would level out pretty average.
    Any who i plan on doing Biology, Chemistry and french (people have told me to do maths but i think my brain would die) I haven't finished my GCSEs but i'm sure when i have done I won't leave with the best grades, especially for a dentistry course which really leaves me in a pickle
    I also heard that in Kings they do a foundation course fr people who want to get in dentistry but it would be an added year for the full 5 year course, I'm not to sure about it so you should research it
    Hey, I'm considering on doing dentistry as well. Is this foundation course that you are talking about for people who didn't do science at A level? Or is it a different course? Can you please tell me more info about it? thanks
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wintabix)
    Hey, I'm considering on doing dentistry as well. Is this foundation course that you are talking about for people who didn't do science at A level? Or is it a different course? Can you please tell me more info about it? thanks
    http://search.ucas.com/cgi-bin/hsrun...word=DENTISTRY

Nope. Same thing. It's because they are aware of schools that just generally have bad results and would compromise those people who have a real aptitude. A fair chance for all.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It may be a huge step from GCSE to A Level but think about it. You will have far less subjects to concentrate on. This'll mean that you will be able to concentrate on your prefered subjects. Most Unis don't take your GCSE results into account. If the demand for a certain course gets too high then it may be neccessary to look further into the image and maybe judge you on your GCSE results. What are you looking to become and what are you predicted for your GCSEs at the moment?
    I'm predicted As in everything except for Geography, History, Art and Science which are A*s. I'm not 100% sure what I want to become but I am particularly interested in doing Audiology or possibly Psychology. I've decided that I'm going to cut back to three A Levels now because I'm taking Fine Art at A Level which is a heavy workload and takes up a lot of time. I'm not taking Psychology anymore because I don't want two 'soft subjects' if I'm only doing three

Hope everyone's exams are going well! xxx

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 13, 2012
New on TSR

Your favourite film of the year?

For you personally what has been the best 2014 movie

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.