The Student Room Group

Rapists dragged drunk girl and CCTV didn't spot them

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Muffled Snuffles
How does a single woman overpower 2 males, drunk or sober?

she may not be able to over power them
but she may have been able to prevent them dragging her across town!
Original post by MelissaBabe
the point is, if she wasn't drunk so badly that she was in no control over her body then she would have been able to fight and they wouldn't have succeeded in the rape! I am sorry to say, but its true!

so she did in a way, put herself in the compromising situation...
it may not have been intended, but she didn't help herself did she?

I was being sarcastic, I totally agree. However on TSR these two issues (the crime and the girl being plastered) cannot be addressed separately as apparently this means you are siding with the criminals and blaming the victim. I'd say not being fully conscious and unable to control your limbs VOLUNTARILY makes you a vulnerable target.
Original post by tehFrance
Of the children (as they were at the time) who raped her....

Cause y'know, at 17 years old, its not like they were responsible for their own actions, were they. :rolleyes:

Sure, they may have been s****y parents, but there are plenty of those. Not many kids turn out to be evil though.
Well this is reassuring, when my sister's 19... And goes to Hull University...
Original post by NuckingFut
Cause y'know, at 17 years old, its not like they were responsible for their own actions, were they. :rolleyes:

Sure, they may have been s****y parents, but there are plenty of those. Not many kids turn out to be evil though.

In the eyes of the law, they clearly aren't. So sue the parents as you can't legally sue people under 18 although they are 18 now so they could be sued if the poor woman wanted to.
How does a single woman overpower 2 males, drunk or sober?

Maybe she would've made it home well before then?

In my opinion many people (criminals) are opportunists and this opportunism can turn them in to criminals (eg the London riots looting). If you don't believe excess alcohol leaves you compromised to such attacks and muggings, you are truly having a laugh.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by tehFrance
In the eyes of the law, they clearly aren't. So sue the parents as you can't legally sue people under 18 although they are 18 now so they could be sued if the poor woman wanted to.

What is the benefit of suing someone when a crime has occurred? For a crime of this nature, a monetary award to the victim will offer very little compensation and would probably be quite insulting.
Original post by MelissaBabe
another problem,
there's already massive coverage about how teens are drinking too much
don't this just add to the problem

sorry to say but if this girl was able to respect her body and know her limits of alcohol then she wouldn't have this problem in the first place.
before people jump the gun,
I BELIEVE IT IS WRONG WHAT HAPPENED TO THIS GIRL
but she shouldn't have decided to get this drunk

I totally agree, and everytime I mention this I get negged. It's very simple really, if you don't drink more than you can handle you won't become prey to rapists and theives, but for some reason people like to think we live in a world where it's the police and NHS who are supposed to look after us when we ourselves CHOOSE to get totally pissed. Know your limits.
If these guys were Muslims, people would have been on the story faster than a London rioter with a 50inch Plasma TV.

Rubbish. Stop making everything about race, it has nothing to do with it whatsoever. Its not a particularly big story, there were 638 confirmed homicides in the UK in 2010-11.
Reply 29
I wanna know right now why there aren't any white people making an issue of this when they make a massive issue when it's a Pakistani. If it's a white person you guys are like 'damn that guy was just an idiot', but when it's a paki you guys are like 'DAMN IT'S ALL THE PAKISTANI CULTURE'S FAULT NOOOO'. I want to know right f*cking now why you idiots aren't making an issue of this. I could just as easily say it's a culture problem with white people in the same way you guys say it to pakis.
Reply 30
Original post by jacketpotato
Rubbish. Stop making everything about race, it has nothing to do with it whatsoever. Its not a particularly big story, there were 638 confirmed homicides in the UK in 2010-11.

But you guys make an issue of the race when it's a Pakistani you muppet.
There are so many stupid opinions in this thread already that I cannot be bothered to read / reply any more.
Reply 32
She drank too much, said she was fine, wasn't and got raped.

No respect for her or the rapists.....deal with it TSR.
Original post by fuzznbass
Bring back execution

As much as this case disgusted me as does all rape cases, execution would not of been considered even if it was brought back. I'm just relieved they did not severely beat her/kill her during or after the act. They deserve a lot more than five years, but not the death penalty.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 34
The victim is a scumbag and a part of the problem in this country as much as the criminals. However they should have received a MUCH harsher sentence just because it was decided it was 'rape'. I hope people understand that in law, 5 years means 2.5 years. Literally, that is the law. If someone is a rapist they should be severely punished. If they had stolen a plasma TV during a riot they would have received a harsher sentence. That's not right.
Original post by fuzznbass
Does this situation look like a lie ?, Yes we hear those stories everytime but I still think that capital punishment is a good thing. I know someone innocent could get put on death row but with a good enough forensic and police service the chances would be slim.

I'd be pretty pissed off if I was to be executed and you said this

I don't like the fact that it's still possible to execute an innocent person, then at the end of it say: unlucky, the chances of executing an innocent were slim :rolleyes:
Original post by Astinof
I wanna know right now why there aren't any white people making an issue of this when they make a massive issue when it's a Pakistani. If it's a white person you guys are like 'damn that guy was just an idiot', but when it's a paki you guys are like 'DAMN IT'S ALL THE PAKISTANI CULTURE'S FAULT NOOOO'. I want to know right f*cking now why you idiots aren't making an issue of this. I could just as easily say it's a culture problem with white people in the same way you guys say it to pakis.

I think the difference there would be that you have rapists from all races, white, black, brown etc. The issue with the pakistani sex gangs was that they appear to be forming to target particularly young non muslim girls for rape that was the problem.

But this story is absolutely horrifying too.
Reply 37
Original post by Nick1sHere
I'd be pretty pissed off if I was to be executed and you said this

I don't like the fact that it's still possible to execute an innocent person, then at the end of it say: unlucky, the chances of executing an innocent were slim :rolleyes:

The problem isn't the chances of executing innocent people it's that capital punishment doesn't have a substantial effect on crime rate.
Original post by silent ninja
Maybe she would've made it home well before then?

So now not only should a girl not go out and drink if she doesn't want to get raped, but she should just not be out at all?
I go out a lot, but I don't drink anymore (except the occasional glass of wine for birthdays or to unwind after exams, but I haven't been drunk for almost a year), I often don't get in till gone 4am. Am I putting myself at risk of being raped? If I got raped on my way home from a club while stone cold sober would you say I put myself at risk by being out late?

And I know you didn't say it, but I'm pretty sure most people couldn't fight off two attackers, never mind a woman (even if she's sober!)
Reply 39
Moments before they approached her asleep on a bench a couple offered her help to a taxi but she turned it down.

She must have awesome friends. If she was in such a state that she would even refuse help then why the **** did they leave her alone?

Ferreira and Haldenby had pitched a tent off Freetown Way and gone on a night out in the city centre on May 7 last year.
As they returned at 2am

They were gonna sleep in a tent in the middle of town?

Quick Reply