Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

When did you first play GTA?

Announcements Posted on
TSR Movie Madness. Vote and debate in all of the group finals from now to Saturday evening! 15-07-2014
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    When it was still birds eye view
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I was probably about 8 when I got both GTA 1 & 2 on PS1 one christmas, it didn't seem so violent back then because of the birds eye view and the funny graphics haha. It wasn't so much the gore I was interested in though, I just remember being amazed at the fact that there was a game where you could just drive any car you wanted and freely walk around. back then before GTA, it was either you had a car and stayed in it, like that game Driver for example if anyone remembers that? or you walked around with a gun and couldn't get in any vehicle, which was pretty much every game that involved shooting.

since then i've had every GTA game, and San Andreas is still probably one of my favourite games ever, i'd love it if they released a PS3 version, they did on xbox360 didn't they?
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.Star)
    Look at the time and content of the post before lol
    Nice.

We were such cool 8 year olds. :cool:
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    i remember playing gta and gta 2 at a friends in the late 90s, i mustve been 8 or 9 - but back then there wasnt much shock factor to it, the people wernt really people they were just coloured circles from above

i recall my mum banning me playing gta vice city when i was 11 or 12ish after she witnessed me **** a hooker then beat her to death with a baseball bat and steal her money, then massacre some policemen with a flamethrower; and i dont think i got it back until san andreas came out a few years later
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Me and my cousins started to play when we were 4 years old

all we did back was drive the cars and run over people..

I didn't even know there were missions until i was around 8 lol

18 now
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cll_ws)
    I was probably about 8 when I got both GTA 1 & 2 on PS1 one christmas, it didn't seem so violent back then because of the birds eye view and the funny graphics haha. It wasn't so much the gore I was interested in though, I just remember being amazed at the fact that there was a game where you could just drive any car you wanted and freely walk around. back then before GTA, it was either you had a car and stayed in it, like that game Driver for example if anyone remembers that? or you walked around with a gun and couldn't get in any vehicle, which was pretty much every game that involved shooting.

since then i've had every GTA game, and San Andreas is still probably one of my favourite games ever, i'd love it if they released a PS3 version, they did on xbox360 didn't they?
    San Andreas was the best GTA..
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I remember spending ages trying to convince my parents to buy me a PS2 and a copy of Grand Theft Auto 3 when it came out (2001 was it? So I must have been in year 8-9) after a while they caved and it made me super happy. Although I didn't get a memory card with the console but I managed to complete the first island once before having to turn it off lol.

When Vice City came out I pulled a sickie from school. San Andreas came out during a half-term and it arrived 2 days early from GAME and it blew my freaking mind!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    First played Vice City secretly when I was ten round my cousins house... I just told my parents it was the new James Bond when they saw it, even though I'm pretty sure James Bond doesn't chainsaw people's heads off with blood squirting everywhere! Haha, then six years ago when I was 11 I was in GAME with my dad and I asked him to buy San Andreas, I was completely obsessed with getting it, of course he was very sceptical, and a member of GAME staff came over and convinced my dad to buy it for me by saying it wasn't very violent and only had the odd 'crap' or 'bloody' in it... and I was over the moon! What a lad, he was probably about the age I am now and I'll never forget how happy I was for that small moment. That summer of 2006, 80% of my time consisted of me glued to my PS2 controller.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    San Andreas in 2004 when I was 14, played it on my friends PS2. I then proceeded to buy it for my own PS2
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abed1993)
    Me and my cousins started to play when we were 4 years old

all we did back was drive the cars and run over people..

I didn't even know there were missions until i was around 8 lol

18 now
    that was all i did till i was 11, had no idea why everything was so empty....
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainingshame)
    that was all i did till i was 11, had no idea why everything was so empty....
    I know!! lol

good times
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    The first time I played one was San Andreas when I was 14 or 15. I remember watching my uncle play the first GTA for a bit years before and not being able to work out why it was rated 18 (never seen any of the violence - just driving around and answering calls at payphones )
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Vice city at 10 years of age.

It really got me into gaming by showing me how open ended and free videogames can be. Before that point all I used to play was Crash Bandicoot and Tekken.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I was 10 and I played the very first GTA with the birds eye camera angle so I didn't really enjoy it. I played GTA IV when I was 15...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    The original GTA which I received for xmas 1997. I was expecting it to be in 3D like GTA 3 was ffs! so it took me a little while to get used to the NES style graphics, but then it got funnnnn. I love 2D games, new and old, but during the late 90s they were kind of lame when Tekken, Goldeneye or Mario 64 were on the shelves for the same price, lol.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 15, 2012
New on TSR

What are your A-level predictions?

Join our AS and A2 results day chat thread

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.