The Student Room Group

How to be teetotal at Uni

I drink too much on nights out and end up in dangerous and embarrassing situations. I have tried to cut back only to ruin any progress on a night by having a couple too many.

I think the best thing to do is stop drinking altogether as I find it so hard to find the right balance.

I am just wondering what people's experiences are of going from drinking heavily to not drinking at all, whilst still enjoying nights out at uni.

I would appreciate people's advice and thoughts, Thanks =]
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Please keep Anon, or delete.

I drink too much on nights out and end up in dangerous and embarrassing situations. I have tried to cut back only to ruin any progress on a night by having a couple too many.

I think the best thing to do is stop drinking altogether as I find it so hard to find the right balance.

I am just wondering what people's experiences are of going from drinking heavily to not drinking at all, whilst still enjoying nights out at uni.

I would appreciate people's advice and thoughts, Thanks =]

I have gone through some wild times in the the past. I just stopped drinking altogether for long periods and when I did go out I drove. That way I knew I couldn't drink.

I soon got bored of going out until the early hours completely sober though. So I just accepted that i'm older, more mature and don't need to get absolutely smashed out of my mind to enjoy myself. I can now go out and for a few drinks and have a good time. Your experiences should help dictate how you go about enjoying future nights out.

To make sure you only have a certain amount of drink, take just enough money to cover those drinks. That way you can't go over the top.
teetotal at uni? :toofunny:
I was teetotal for a while last year due to being on medication. I found I could enjoy myself without alcohol fairly easily although for the first couple of weeks it was annoying not being able to drink. After a while I just got used to not drinking & now when I go out I don't really feel any need to drink- sometimes I will & sometimes I'll just stick to soft drinks.

To make sure you only have a certain amount of drink, take just enough money to cover those drinks. That way you can't go over the top

This is probably a good suggestion as well
Quite simple, don't drink.

People should respect that decision, and if they don't - are they worth considering friends?
Reply 5
if youre really obsessed with drinking, try binging on something else instead - like fruit?!
Reply 6
If you take it each time you might drink at a time then it should start to come naturally. It may seem like a big deal now but over time you'll wonder why it even mattered so much. Do this for yourself =D
Reply 7
Thanks for replying, It's not just the financial concerns, it's the other implications of drinking that I don't like. I don't like the person I become, but I think the problem is I sometimes think that person is better than me. I guess I need to tackle some of the issues I have with myself and realise drinking doesn't help them.

Original post by Cyclo
I have gone through some wild times in the the past. I just stopped drinking altogether for long periods and when I did go out I drove. That way I knew I couldn't drink.

I soon got bored of going out until the early hours completely sober though. So I just accepted that i'm older, more mature and don't need to get absolutely smashed out of my mind to enjoy myself. I can now go out and for a few drinks and have a good time. Your experiences should help dictate how you go about enjoying future nights out.

To make sure you only have a certain amount of drink, take just enough money to cover those drinks. That way you can't go over the top.
Reply 8
Alcos used various tricks.

Wear some cheap charity wristbands on one wrist. Four, maybe. Every time you buy a drink, move one on to the other wrist. No more bands, no more drinks.

You don't need to get smashed to have a good night. If you can't have a good night with a few drinks, you can't have a good night with tons of drinks.
Reply 9
Hi,
To stop drinking is a good decision, but all at once you can't stop so gradually you can do that i.e., the quantity you consume tomorrow must be less than today. Fix psycologically to stop drinking.
do drugs instead, they're more fun
Original post by forgetamine
do drugs instead, they're more fun

like ketamine?
Original post by kaylafrances
like ketamine?

exactly
Drink coffee. :sogood:
Original post by Sabertooth
Drink coffee. :sogood:

I s-s-second this baby. Coffee is my God.
Drink brightly coloured fizzy juice, elaborate mocktails, or claim to be drinking "vodka and cranberry/orange/mango/lemonade/coke etc etc" ..
hey, don't listen to all these idiots, i completely understand, its so hard to know when to stop once you've started isn't it !!!! i have one and then I'm really happy so just don't stop, and when you're drunk you can't control yourself ! haha, I've decided to stop drinking too, and especially as exams are coming up, and on most nights i go out now i go out sober, but if its a big event i will drink, so maybe have a big night out once a month instead of getting paralytic 4 times a week!! try going out sober a few times, its rubbish at first, but after a while you find it funny because everyone else is so drunk they don't even notice you're sober!! what i do is say me and my friends went out 8 times in a month or something, id drink one or two of those nights, try that maybe? xx
Alcoholics' Anonymous, it works.
drink codeine hashtag purple sizzurp hashtag lean
Respect your acknowledgement of the fact that you need to stop. Bets thing to do is try not put yourself in situations where you are going to be drinking. Or like previously mentioned, just bring enough money to have a good time and not any more (make sure you have money for food and to get home after as well though lol)

Quick Reply

Latest