Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What is so exceptionally wrong about football racism?

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NB_ide)
    It's a question, you can't "disgree" with it. What, in your view, does make racism a "particularly vile" subject to tease one another about?
    Is for example a 'tease' as you call it of 'You FAT bastard!' comparable with a 'tease' of 'You BLACK bastard!' ?

Really what do you think?

I know which I think is worse, but that sure could just be me.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PJ07)
    Is for example a 'tease' as you call it of 'You FAT bastard!' comparable with a 'tease' of 'You BLACK bastard!' ?

Really what do you think?

I know which I think is worse, but that sure could just be me.
    Which, and why?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NB_ide)
    Which, and why?
    Seriously? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I'm sorry I can't continue, you win!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PJ07)
    Seriously? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I'm sorry I can't continue, you win!
    Strange, I was hoping you'd explain it.

I'm sure someone else will shortly. *hopes*
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Polygoof)
    So what makes racism more "special" than the rest of aggressiveness in general?
    Racism is considered more offensive because of the unpleasant history behind it.
    It's like the difference between me going up to a man with black skin and saying "you damn [n-word]", or going up to a woman with brown hair and saying "you damn brunette". Racism offends people more.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Polygoof)
    I am dark-skinned and I am not a fan of any mass media sport.

However, I raise my eyebrows (or "facepalm" myself) when I notice headlines about people making such a big fuss about, and even FINING, racist remarks in football (soccer) around the world.

I assumed that hooligans (and extreme fans of competitions) are violent anyway, and that aggressiveness is a normal part of their chants - so why are racist comments singled out with respect to all other sorts of remarks?

I mean, it seems obvious to me that if I compete against someone who is different from me, and am "supposed" to create violent chants or comments, one of the main things I will capitalize on when formulating an insult is what makes us different from each other...

So what makes racism more "special" than the rest of aggressiveness in general?
    Is it yet another mass media attention trick?
    I do understand your point, and I think that there are plenty of circumstances in which people will treat what is essentially a generic offensive remark that happens to be race-related as vastly more serious than it is, but I think racism in football is made into such a big deal because football has such a huge popular following and footballers are such heroes to a lot of kids that the FA needs to enforce very strict standards in order to try to use footballers as positive role models. In any professional sporting setting, there are standard above and beyond what is merely legal because players are always acting as an example to others, and failure to behave not only legally but appropriately would cast a negative light on the sport. Even a fairly minor racist remark on the pitch can have a knock-on effect and inspire much more dangerous tension amongst fans.

Obviously racist remarks aren't the only negative things footballers are guilty of, but I absolutely think it's right that football tries to clean up its act. Within so many popular sports, the sort of behaviour that footballers often display would be absolutely intolerable and would destroy a player's reputation.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jaydiee)
    Insulting the rival team- their playing style, their misses at goal, their 'poor' fans, their lack of support. Not the colour of their skin!
    Why is there a need to bring skin colour into it? How is the difference in race going to affect their playing performance?
    From what I can understand, putting myself in their shoes, they probably have no "need" to bring in skin color - skin color is just the easiest thing to pick on!! The scapegoat!

I am dark-skinned and I have been bullied several times, but I know that there is a huge difference between true racism (the ideology) and picking on random traits of a person...

A person may call me a "N-word" simply because he is angry with me, individually, and not because he thinks dark-skinned people must be wiped off the planet.

From what I read, I honestly perceive race is just a scapegoat, and none of those hooligans are real racists.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    their is barely any racism in football. it's all hype.

the Left has a habbit of glamourizing anything which may look their 'chosen ones' look like victims.

most things which are called racist are not even racist. they're trying to call and label certain ppl racist for no good reason.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PJ07)
    Well if he isn't trolling and very sadly it seems he isn't then he is exceptionally idiotic.
    I am not a sport/football-insider, so you can call me somewhat ignorant about sport politics, if you wish, however...

He states "So what makes racism more "special" than the rest of aggressiveness in general?"

This I would disagree with, personally I think racism is a particularly vile form of abuse.
    That is a personal opinion though, you may disagree.
    ...even being a person from a minority "race"/ethnicity and having been victim of discrimination as a child, I still honestly think there are far worse problems in life and society than worrying about people picking on each others' skin colors.

Tell me if I'm wrong, but do you seriously think all those hooligans/football fans are Hitler-wannabes and want a racially pure world?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Such Ignorance..... Maybe its because they are meant to be rolemodels!! They are idolised by millions of young people if they see that there idols are being racist and they don't get punished for it then they would do they same as they'd deem it to be acceptable. If David Cameron went around making racist remarks I'm sure you would find that wrong - 1 because he is in the public eye and 2 because racism is intrinsically wrong anyways!!!!!!!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Tazarooni89's post is the first response (#25) which actually answers OP's question. Everyone else has blatantly missed the point. #huh
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)
    Racism is considered more offensive because of the unpleasant history behind it.
    It's like the difference between me going up to a man with black skin and saying "you damn [n-word]", or going up to a woman with brown hair and saying "you damn brunette". Racism offends people more.
    I see. I guess this propagates into other areas as well, but doesn't take into account what offends individuals or real minority groups.

I am sure many ethnic/racial minorities like myself make no real fuss for being called the N-word, but I, for example, get very angry if they call me "a nerd" just because I wear glasses!

I am also much more provoked when I get mobbed by colleagues just because I am a teetotaller (I abstain from alcohol)!!!

Sometimes I really feel like this "racism hype" is used to cover up those more serious issues!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TB.93)
    Such Ignorance..... Maybe its because they are meant to be rolemodels!! They are idolised by millions of young people if they see that there idols are being racist and they don't get punished for it then they would do they same as they'd deem it to be acceptable. If David Cameron went around making racist remarks I'm sure you would find that wrong - 1 because he is in the public eye and 2 because racism is intrinsically wrong anyways!!!!!!!
    What do you mean by "they are meant to be"?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: April 6, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Advice on everyday issues unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.