Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What is so exceptionally wrong about football racism?

Announcements Posted on
What are your mock exam revision tips?! Share them with our year 10 & 11 students! 19-11-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I am dark-skinned and I am not a fan of any mass media sport.

However, I raise my eyebrows (or "facepalm" myself) when I notice headlines about people making such a big fuss about, and even FINING, racist remarks in football (soccer) around the world.

I assumed that hooligans (and extreme fans of competitions) are violent anyway, and that aggressiveness is a normal part of their chants - so why are racist comments singled out with respect to all other sorts of remarks?

I mean, it seems obvious to me that if I compete against someone who is different from me, and am "supposed" to create violent chants or comments, one of the main things I will capitalize on when formulating an insult is what makes us different from each other...

So what makes racism more "special" than the rest of aggressiveness in general?
    Is it yet another mass media attention trick?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Polygoof)

However, I raise my eyebrows (or "facepalm" myself) when I notice headlines about people making such a big fuss about, and even FINING, racist remarks in football (soccer) around the world.

I assumed that hooligans (and extreme fans of competitions) are violent anyway, and that aggressiveness is a normal part of their chants - so why are racist comments singled out with respect to all other sorts of remarks?

I mean, it seems obvious to me that if I compete against someone who is different from me, and am "supposed" to create violent chants or comments, one of the main things I will capitalize on when formulating an insult is what makes us different from each other...

:troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    My question was intended seriously.

Thank you
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You make a good point, OP. Unfortunately, we are on a forum with an average member age somewhere around the current postcount in this thread.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    To be honest I can't believe you - just like many other high status people footballers are rolemodels in our society. They my not want to but they share the extravagant lifestyle with the rest of society - people therefore enjoy it. (Including young children) - That sort of behaviour shouldn't be exceptable in any circumstances and when it's in front of thousands of people potentially influencing there behaviour - than it will cause an uproar. And I should hope so. SIMPLE
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's working class and group based.

Two things that terrify the political correctness police.

As for Zakkaz, there is nothing wrong with racism to begin with.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    The racism part...

They want to make it clear that all anti-social behaviour is condemned, that includes racism.
    It's to encourage the equal treatment of all athletes and sports players. The players are there to play football not to be picked on because of their race :rolleyes:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Ok, but why especially racism and not aggressiveness/violence IN GENERAL?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ok, but why especially racism and not aggressiveness/violence IN GENERAL?
    Because aggressiveness/violence in football is usually aggravated whereas a black person is likely to be attacked for no reason other than the colour of their skin.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tahooper)
    Because aggressiveness/violence in football is usually aggravated whereas a black person is likely to be attacked for no reason other than the colour of their skin.
    Well, I don't know well since I don't really follow football, but I thought hooligans would attack anyone regardless of their color...
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    There is a big difference between aggravating chants between fans of two teams (which tend to be general remarks) and racist chants directed at players. Why should that athlete be singled out because of the colour of their skin?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Well, but the reason remains the same I suppose: insulting the rival team (including their components), right?

What other motivation would fans have to be racist only during a match?
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Insulting the rival team- their playing style, their misses at goal, their 'poor' fans, their lack of support. Not the colour of their skin!
    Why is there a need to bring skin colour into it? How is the difference in race going to affect their playing performance?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well the fact that the head of the football world doesn't seem to think there's a problem says plenty! Ignorant scum right there! And he's heading this.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well, I don't know well since I don't really follow football, but I thought hooligans would attack anyone regardless of their color...
    People like hooligans still need a reason, even if the reason is something as trivial as skin colour.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NB_ide)
    You make a good point, OP. Unfortunately, we are on a forum with an average member age somewhere around the current postcount in this thread.
    this!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:

Many won't appreciate what you're getting at.

However I do notice that calling some a faggot, a poof, a queer etc etc is far more acceptable than racism in football.

As is chanting about Munich, Harold Shipman, sexual assault etc.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PJ07)
    :troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll:
    OP gone over your head then?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KimKallstrom)
    OP gone over your head then?
    Well if he isn't trolling and very sadly it seems he isn't then he is exceptionally idiotic.

His argument seems to be that because other chants, act's of aggression are more acceptable then racism should not be singled out as a particularly bad form of it.

He states "So what makes racism more "special" than the rest of aggressiveness in general?"

This I would disagree with, personally I think racism is a particularly vile form of abuse.
    That is a personal opinion though, you may disagree.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PJ07)
    He states "So what makes racism more "special" than the rest of aggressiveness in general?"

This I would disagree with, personally I think racism is a particularly vile form of abuse.
    That is a personal opinion though, you may disagree.
    It's a question, you can't "disgree" with it. What, in your view, does make racism a "particularly vile" subject to tease one another about?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 6, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE mocks revision

Talk study tips this weekend

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Advice on everyday issues unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.