The Student Room Group

Which group is less appreciated: Asian Men or Black women?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mr Smurf
Besides "hoping" for better luck, what else can I do to attract white girls?

Hope is a very powerful thing, as lame as that sounds :tongue:

Obviously different girls have different tastes, but I would say:
-Keep your hair short, you don't want to look like Goku from Dragon Ball Z.
-Dress well, always look clean, etc. Don't smoke :nothing:
-Stay in shape. Oriental guys with chubby faces tend to look really young. If you're short, don't overcompensate by getting really muscly though, it just looks ridiculous.
-Smile lots. Can't stress this enough. I'm guessing you're not actually as miserable as you come across online, but friendliness and confidence are very attractive qualities.
-And please don't go on about how much you love white girls. If you end up dating a white girl and you've told her that, it could really damage her self esteem. She will feel like you're only dating her because she's the only white girl who will have you, not because you actually like her.
Reply 81
Original post by Yawn11
Imagine a black chick and an asian dude made a baby!! :zomg: :nooo:

Kill it with fire.

You mean Lou jing :P

or Amerie

Admittedly these are the offspring of black male chinese female couples.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 82
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
(after all, our hair is quite relatively weak compared to the hair of other races). Natural afro hair can be difficult and/or time consuming to look after, so straightening (whether that's with relaxers or heat tools) can often just make life easier for oneself for maintenance reasons.
That said, I agree it is quite sad the negative attitudes that many black people have towards their own natural hair. I'm a black woman with natural hair, and any ignorant comments I've had about it are always from black people, even my own family! Heck, the last time they ever complimented my hair was when I straightened it (with flat irons) the other month :rolleyes:. It's also sad that hardly any black woman in the media wears her hair natural, and whilst I have nothing against hair extensions and straightening (I do them sometimes myself in fact), it's a bit sad when wearing natural hair is such a minority. There are plenty of lovely styles one can do with it, it doesn't always have to be a bushy afro (not that there's anything much wrong with that either)! Look at how awesome Janelle Monáe looks!

'kay, so I wanted to disagree with the first half of what you said! Firstly, our hair's not necessarily weaker than that of other races. We just INSIST on doing things to it that other races do to theirs when our hair behaves in an opposite way and needs opposite handling. If you handle your hair the way it's supposed to be handled, then it's no weaker than anyone else's. Second: It's not more difficult to care for either. I feel like a lot of natural girls do WAAAY too much to their hair thinking that being natural= needing to spend 6 hours every day taking care of business! Not true. I spend the same amount of time doing my hair now as I did when I had it relaxed pin straight. Oh, and my hair's healthier.

The second part of what you said was pretty good though, it's sad that we aren't taught how to care for hair, and it's downright scary that what we're taught about hair care is completely and entirely opposite to what our hair actually needs, thus leaving us thinking that our hair is difficult and or ugly. Frankly, I was a girl who thought her hair had to be PERFECTLY straight or everyone would find me hideous. These days, I don't really give a crap what everyone finds, and surprise surprise, my hair's a lot nicer in its natural state.

As for the topic: Honestly, I think both groups are highly stereotyped and underrepresented aesthetically, but I couldn't tell you which is more so. As darker skinned girl myself, it does suck to find that you aren't considered pretty by the same media outlets your consumerist youth culture relies upon. *Sigh* it's been a tough road to self acceptance, but I mostly rely on my mirror: if I like what I see, everyone else can piss off.
Reply 83
Original post by SleepySheep
Hope is a very powerful thing, as lame as that sounds :tongue:

Obviously different girls have different tastes, but I would say:
-Keep your hair short, you don't want to look like Goku from Dragon Ball Z.
-Dress well, always look clean, etc. Don't smoke :nothing:
-Stay in shape. Oriental guys with chubby faces tend to look really young. If you're short, don't overcompensate by getting really muscly though, it just looks ridiculous.
-Smile lots. Can't stress this enough. I'm guessing you're not actually as miserable as you come across online, but friendliness and confidence are very attractive qualities.
-And please don't go on about how much you love white girls. If you end up dating a white girl and you've told her that, it could really damage her self esteem. She will feel like you're only dating her because she's the only white girl who will have you, not because you actually like her.

1. Check

2. Check

3. Check-ish

4. No im not like this in real life. :colondollar:

5. I never tell people about my preferences unless they ask, in which case I never lie about it. I have gotten different reactions from "awwww" from a white girl to ":unimpressed:" from an Oriental girl.

I dont see why that would damage her self esteem anyway. If I liked a white girl and she told me that she liked Oriental guys it would just raise mine.
Original post by Golden_Boy786
Hey peeps. i just wanna say to those oriental dudes, that me being an Asian has attracted a lot of attention at skool a lot of the girls, actually asked me out. One started ushering me towards the toilets- i cringed, i was too shy back then :frown:.

So, yeah i've had a lot of white female attention, but I'm a bit laid back from it now. After coming into Uni.

Obviously lying.
Original post by Yawn11
Imagine a black chick and an asian dude made a baby!! :zomg: :nooo:

Kill it with fire.

Hahahahaha
Reply 86
Original post by Blutooth
You mean Lou jing :P

or Amerie

Add Kimora Lee Simmons, Cassie and Chris browns girlfriend Karruche to that list as well. All stunning women - he doesn't know what he is talking about.
Reply 87
Asian Men????

Egg-Fried Rice Asian or Basmati Rice Asian?

You didn't state which one.
Original post by Brutal Honesty
Obviously lying.

Hah, I'm not lying, once this girl only met me for 2 hours. She tried to kiss me. My face went RED. And I'm asian!

Plus why would I lie?
Reply 89

Exactly I disregarded the post the moment I saw their pics.
1. Check

2. Check

3. Check-ish

4. No im not like this in real life. :colondollar:

5. I never tell people about my preferences unless they ask, in which case I never lie about it. I have gotten different reactions from "awwww" from a white girl to ":unimpressed:" from an Oriental girl.

I dont see why that would damage her self esteem anyway. If I liked a white girl and she told me that she liked Oriental guys it would just raise mine.

I already said why. She will feel like you're only dating her because she's the only white girl who will have you, not because you actually like her. People want to be valued for who they are, not their skin colour.

Even though you say you're not like this in real life, I still think you need to be more confident. Everyone has setbacks. I know how frustrating it is when things seem much easier for other people, and it seems like what you want is never going to happen, but you just need to be confident that things will eventually work out. Since I started thinking that way things have got a lot better for me :smile:
Original post by Tel8
'kay, so I wanted to disagree with the first half of what you said! Firstly, our hair's not necessarily weaker than that of other races. We just INSIST on doing things to it that other races do to theirs when our hair behaves in an opposite way and needs opposite handling. If you handle your hair the way it's supposed to be handled, then it's no weaker than anyone else's. Second: It's not more difficult to care for either. I feel like a lot of natural girls do WAAAY too much to their hair thinking that being natural= needing to spend 6 hours every day taking care of business! Not true. I spend the same amount of time doing my hair now as I did when I had it relaxed pin straight. Oh, and my hair's healthier.

The second part of what you said was pretty good though, it's sad that we aren't taught how to care for hair, and it's downright scary that what we're taught about hair care is completely and entirely opposite to what our hair actually needs, thus leaving us thinking that our hair is difficult and or ugly. Frankly, I was a girl who thought her hair had to be PERFECTLY straight or everyone would find me hideous. These days, I don't really give a crap what everyone finds, and surprise surprise, my hair's a lot nicer in its natural state.

As for the topic: Honestly, I think both groups are highly stereotyped and underrepresented aesthetically, but I couldn't tell you which is more so. As darker skinned girl myself, it does suck to find that you aren't considered pretty by the same media outlets your consumerist youth culture relies upon. *Sigh* it's been a tough road to self acceptance, but I mostly rely on my mirror: if I like what I see, everyone else can piss off.

I personally find that natural hair can be quite difficult and time consuming to care for. It takes extra care to make sure it doesn't get knotted up or tangled. Getting it neat takes some time too. I often do braidouts or twistouts because they stretch my hair out and make it easier to handle and style, but the actual process of braiding it up and then letting it dry a bit and undoing it time quite a bit of time and effort, which fortunately isn't too bad when I do it whilst watching TV. Whereas with relaxed hair, it's much easier just to wash, blow dry a little, and then go. I've even been considering relaxing again as I totally see the benefits, but I just want to hold out my decision longer as I'm still unsure (would worry about regretting it). Right now it's braided up in a weave, and I'm glad cos I really needed that break from all that handling. I dunno, maybe you deal with your hair a bit differently, but that's just my experiences.

I think it's sad though when little kids have relaxed hair, because it seems like the parents are misinformed and/or lazy to look after natural hair properly. And it's a bit of a waste some of the styles they miss out on, cos the Celie braids I do (in my home only) for my braidouts look much cuter on a 5 year old girl than they do on a young adult woman like me :p:
Reply 92
There is a massive inferiority complex in indian guys (who call themselves Asian, I'm sorry but when I hear Asian I think of Jackie Chan ( :biggrin: ) and not Slumdog Millionaire.

This inferiority complex that is often visible on these forums must come from somewhere so I would say asian (lol) guys if you mean indian.

Can't talk about black girls as there is not a single black person in my year at Imperial, and as for girls, well, Imperial...
Reply 93
Original post by + polarity -
Asian men are highly valued, particularly in mathematical and engineering circles.

:rofl:

For those of us who aren't good at Maths, we're completely ****ed.

Seriously though, the only real reason why other East Asian guys get ignored is because they lack personality and are about as interesting and friendly as a wood plank. It's a big thing at least knowing how to make a nice positive first impression by smiling, presenting yourself well, being friendly, etc. Not being desperate for approval helps too, as it doesn't come off as natural.

That said, I'm about as white as yellow can get and the stereotype doesn't really apply to me. Unfortunately, that includes the good at academics stereotype. :awesome:
Reply 94
I already said why. She will feel like you're only dating her because she's the only white girl who will have you, not because you actually like her. People want to be valued for who they are, not their skin colour.

Even though you say you're not like this in real life, I still think you need to be more confident. Everyone has setbacks. I know how frustrating it is when things seem much easier for other people, and it seems like what you want is never going to happen, but you just need to be confident that things will eventually work out. Since I started thinking that way things have got a lot better for me :smile:

Don't you think Mr Smurf is a bit prejudiced and superficial for pedastalising white girls. I mean white girls do look good but there are plenty of other attractive women from other races. What's wrong with Asian girls, Mr smurf?

I can sort of understand people having a preference for their own race, but when they start to prefer others it just smells a bit too much like self-hate for my liking.
Reply 95

I was raised to just keep trying even when things seem hopeless anyway. So while it does seem like I will never attract a white girl, that doesnt mean that I wont try. My confidence would go up if I saw some Oriental guy-white girl couples, but I dont. :erm:
Reply 96
By Asian do you mean Oriental or South Asian?

If you mean Oriental guys, then I would say its us. :sadnod:

Lol, not seen you round for a while bro.

Thinking about it, all the orientals I know stick to their own kind, it's the (skutty) pakis who go after the (skutty) white girls.
Reply 97
bean
Reply 98
Don't you think Mr Smurf is a bit prejudiced and superficial for pedastalising white girls. I mean white girls do look good but there are plenty of other attractive women from other races. What's wrong with Asian girls, Mr smurf?

I can sort of understand people having a preference for their own race, but when they start to prefer others it just smells a bit too much like self-hate for my liking.

Nothing is wrong with Oriental girls. They just dont do it for me. White girls do. Growing up in the UK definitely had something to do with my preferences. Why does prefering a different race equal self-hate anyway? :rolleyes:
Reply 99

I was raised to just keep trying even when things seem hopeless anyway. So while it does seem like I will never attract a white girl, that doesnt mean that I wont try. My confidence would go up if I saw some Oriental guy-white girl couples, but I dont. :erm:

Mr Smurf, the only posts I see you make on TSR are about how Oriental people can't get white girls. Why do you write so many posts about it online, do you feel as though you are being victimised by white girls or something? :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending