The Student Room Group

Which group is less appreciated: Asian Men or Black women?

Scroll to see replies

Any race can be good looking.
Therefore, this thread is proposterous.
Original post by Newbie123
I haven't even said what stereotype, so what do you mean "that sort of stereotype"?

You're telling me you've never heard the "black girls have flat, wide noses" stereotype?

You're telling me you've never heard the "Asian guy are small" stereotype? By Asian, I mean East Asian.

"astetiques" is not a word, and I have no idea why you've used quotation marks, seeing as no-one has said that word on this thread.

The stereotypes you mentioned in your OP. Which made little or no sense. When you say 'asian' in this country, people generally refer to people of the Indian subcontinent. If they mean Chinese, Thai, Japanese people they would actually say East Asian or possibly Oriental.
Some of the most appreciated musicians in the world are Asian (Chinese, Japanese, Korean etc) men. In the West you probably have no idea of who some of these people are but in Asia they are huge, e.g. Jay Chou, Wang Leehom, Lee Hyori, Kim Tae Woo, Big Bang, Jet Li, JJ Lin, Rain, SuperJunior etc. More people in the world probably know Asian celebrities than any black female singer you can think of due to the huge population of Asia, especially in China. Hardly anyone will know who Rihanna is in China, just like hardly anyone would know Jay Chou in America. So basically, Asian men are respected in Asia and black women are looked down in Asia (And by Asia I mean east Asia) and black women are respected in the west and Asian guys are often looked down at. However, recently, due to more cultural exchanges and understandings between different races, Asian men are becoming more appreciated in the west, e.g. the rise of NBA star Jeremy Lin and Yao Ming. There's obviously Jackie Chan and Bruce Lee there as well. So overall, I Asian men are actually more appreciated than black women on the whole. Bruce Lee is probably one of the most influential people in the 20th century and he was of Asian ancestry. Go to Korea or Vietnam and ask them to name 3 famous black women and they will probably struggle. Go to America and ask for three Asian male and it wouldn't be so difficult.
Reply 143
Original post by hackashaq
Some of the most appreciated musicians in the world are Asian (Chinese, Japanese, Korean etc) men. In the West you probably have no idea of who some of these people are but in Asia they are huge, e.g. Jay Chou, Wang Leehom, Lee Hyori, Kim Tae Woo, Big Bang, Jet Li, JJ Lin, Rain, SuperJunior etc. More people in the world probably know Asian celebrities than any black female singer you can think of due to the huge population of Asia, especially in China. Hardly anyone will know who Rihanna is in China, just like hardly anyone would know Jay Chou in America. So basically, Asian men are respected in Asia and black women are looked down in Asia (And by Asia I mean east Asia) and black women are respected in the west and Asian guys are often looked down at. However, recently, due to more cultural exchanges and understandings between different races, Asian men are becoming more appreciated in the west, e.g. the rise of NBA star Jeremy Lin and Yao Ming. There's obviously Jackie Chan and Bruce Lee there as well. So overall, I Asian men are actually more appreciated than black women on the whole. Bruce Lee is probably one of the most influential people in the 20th century and he was of Asian ancestry. Go to Korea or Vietnam and ask them to name 3 famous black women and they will probably struggle. Go to America and ask for three Asian male and it wouldn't be so difficult.

We're specifically talking about Western society here, so practically everything you just said was irrelevant.

Why are you talking about how black women aren't appreciated in Asia? That's less than irrelevant, whatever that is.

FYI, Yao Ming's retired.
Reply 144
Original post by I-Am-A-Tripod
The stereotypes you mentioned in your OP. Which made little or no sense. When you say 'asian' in this country, people generally refer to people of the Indian subcontinent. If they mean Chinese, Thai, Japanese people they would actually say East Asian or possibly Oriental.

I didn't mention any stereotypes in my original post, so what are you on about?

As for "Asian" generally meaning South Asian, you just made that up - i.e. you're stating an opinion as a fact, when it's not.

Type in "Asian men", no homo, into Google images, and see how many of them are South Asian. I didn't see any.
Reply 145
Original post by Kiss
Since everyone is pissed off that I've used Rihanna as an unfair comparrison, I only posted to show how stupid this thread is when trying to compare two different groups (although in this example I still prefer Rihanna :colone: :colone: :colone:)

This thread isn't comparing two groups to each other, it's comparing how society treats each of those groups...
Reply 146
I didn't mention any stereotypes in my original post, so what are you on about?

As for "Asian" generally meaning South Asian, you just made that up - i.e. you're stating an opinion as a fact, when it's not.

Type in "Asian men", no homo, into Google images, and see how many of them are South Asian. I didn't see any.

In the UK, "Asian" generally means "south Asian". It's an official government category for things like the Census. It's only because we're all succumbing to Americanisation that we are starting to think "Asian" means "Oriental".

Edit: Look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Asian and examples such as the BBC Asian Network.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ameritus
In the UK, "Asian" generally means "south Asian". It's an official government category for things like the Census. It's only because we're all succumbing to Americanisation that we are starting to think "Asian" means "Oriental".

thanks for explaining it to him, he couldnt get it even though i tried my best.
Reply 148
thanks for explaining it to him, he couldnt get it even though i tried my best.

Where I live, Asian refers to East Asian...

Whatever, both South & East Asians are ultimately Asians, so it's a moot point.

So what stereotypes were there in my OP? Oh right, none. You clearly don't even know what a stereotype is, otherwise you wouldn't be accusing me of having used one in my OP.
Where I live, Asian refers to East Asian...

Whatever, both South & East Asians are ultimately Asians, so it's a moot point.

So what stereotypes were there in my OP? Oh right, none. You clearly don't even know what a stereotype is, otherwise you wouldn't be accusing me of having used one in my OP.

I dont think you have a point. So this whole thread is 'moot'
Reply 150
I dont think you have a point. So this whole thread is 'moot'

Ok, just ignore the fact that you accused me of using a stereotype which "made little or no sense", when in fact it was your own lack of comprehension skils/poor memory that was to blame.

Nice changing of the subject, real smooth.
Reply 151
i'd probably say asian men, the amount of movies i've seen that portray an asian guy as the loser/geek/hopeless with women type of guy, or even just use one for the comedy value of his accent.
they're usually american movies. if these movies contain a loser/geek girl she will almost definitely be white, and there's usually always a couple of black girls amongst the popular/cheerleading group!

so going by that, i go with asian men!
Reply 152
Ok, just ignore the fact that you accused me of using a stereotype which "made little or no sense", when in fact it was your own lack of comprehension skils/poor memory that was to blame.

Nice changing of the subject, real smooth.

Across the 'Western World' - the stereotypes will vary depending on the profile/demographic of the group living there. So the stereotypes will be different in England to in the Netherlands to in Sweden, etc.?
Reply 153
Original post by effofex
Across the 'Western World' - the stereotypes will vary depending on the profile/demographic of the group living there. So the stereotypes will be different in England to in the Netherlands to in Sweden, etc.?

lol, I think you've misunderstood something.

That guy I quoted said I'd used non-sensical stereotypes in my original post, when I clearly hadn't.

Nothing to do with differing stereotypes throughout the West.
Reply 154
lol, I think you've misunderstood something.

That guy I quoted said I'd used non-sensical stereotypes in my original post, when I clearly hadn't.

Nothing to do with differing stereotypes throughout the West.

I have never heard of these negative stereotypes you specified in reference to South/East Asian men or black women in the Netherlands. Maybe they apply in the UK, but I do not think they do here.
We're specifically talking about Western society here, so practically everything you just said was irrelevant.

Why are you talking about how black women aren't appreciated in Asia? That's less than irrelevant, whatever that is.

FYI, Yao Ming's retired.

Ok even in the Western world. Name me a black woman that can be compared to Bruce Lee.

And Yao Ming was the best non American basketball player to have played in the NBA. And now there's Jeremy Lin.
Reply 156
Ok even in the Western world. Name me a black woman that can be compared to Bruce Lee.

And Yao Ming was the best non American basketball player to have played in the NBA. And now there's Jeremy Lin.

Why are you trying to defend Asian men or something? I'm not attacking them.

Bruce Lee was mixed race, so he's irrelevant to the discussion.

And no, Yao Ming was not the best non-American NBA player, Nowitzki is - and I don't even know much about basketball.

Terrible points.
Why are you trying to defend Asian men or something? I'm not attacking them.

Bruce Lee was mixed race, so he's irrelevant to the discussion.

And no, Yao Ming was not the best non-American NBA player, Nowitzki is - and I don't even know much about basketball.

Terrible points.

Bruce Lee is 3/4 Chinese so he is relevant to the discussion. Thankfully I do know about basketball and Yao Ming is better. Also put Jeremy Lin in there too.
Reply 158
Bruce Lee is 3/4 Chinese so he is relevant to the discussion. Thankfully I do know about basketball and Yao Ming is better. Also put Jeremy Lin in there too.

Yeah, um, what did you just say there? 3/4? So, what you mean is, he's not fully Asian. Seeing as I made the thread and was specifically talking about non-mixed race people, Bruce Lee is irrelevant.

Oh and even IF he counted, which he doesn't, Oprah Winfrey. Case closed, you're wrong.

I doubt you know very much about basketball if you think Ming is better than Nowitzki.
Original post by effofex
What happens if you do though? Does the sky fall down?

yes... only on my head though, everyone else is fine....:poke:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending