Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Poll: would you report someone abusing the hosepipe ban?

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
  • View Poll Results: Would you report them?
    Yes
    16.92%
    No
    83.08%

• 56 followers

ReputationRep:
    Now the hosepipe ban has started (it really should have started when they announced the drought) I would be disgusted if people were abusing it. Let's say a family member, neighbour or a friend abused the hospipe ban by filling their swimming pool or watering their garden, what would you do? I would most certainly report them. Measures such as these are put in place for a reason, so everyone in the catchment area must do their best to preserve water.

Unfortunately, there are too many proles who ignore simple facts and leave others to pay the price. Inconsiderate bastards.
    • 56 followers

ReputationRep:
    bump
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    No, because someone, or even many people, flouting a housepipe ban isn't the reason why there isn't enough water to go around.
    The water company consistently lets minor leaks go on without repairing them for as long as possible. I'm sure, totalled up, more water is being lost to leaks than hosepipes.
    Our population is increasing, especially in the south-east, so there will be increasing demands on the system, and in time, if nothing is done, there will be a permanent hosepipe ban.
    I mean, other places make it work. Malta has no rivers, and gets half of it's water from desalination plants. I've no idea how Las Vegas gets all it's water in the middle of the desert either. But they manage.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    No, I have a life
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    No, why would I? There are enough real criminals out there, without wasting the police's time on someone watering their tulips.
    • 47 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently driving around town in my water-fueled car looking out for people using hose-pipes in oder to report them. They should be shamed of themselves.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    No. Nor would I report my neighbours if they filled up a paddling pool for their kids or had to clean the sap from their car window so they can see when they drive.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    No because if someone's watering their plants, it's not going to waste and should not be enough water to cause serious consequences. Also, as a poster above mentioned, there's more worrying things in society than people watering their plants.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Interestingly there was a farmer saying that hosepipe bans had a bad impact on agriculture and there'd be food shortages due to lack of water to grow veg so food prices will rise.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    We pay our water bills to reimburse the water companies for the cost of them providing water to us and for them to maintain the network in order to continue the supply of water.

The water companies have continuously failed on the second count, chasing profits rather than maintaining the network and plugging leaks. Then they have the nerve to impose a hosepipe ban on us rather than reducing our bills as a result of them failing to do what we pay them to do.

Nobody in their right mind should even consider complying with this ban until the water companies start doing their job properly and plugging leaks and using more reservoirs in order to maintain the supply of water.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Can I report the water companies for wasting (up to 27%) of the water through leaking pipes?
    No?

Oh, well, screw it, they can enforce it themselves.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    No. Stop being such a massive prude. One person is not going to make a difference, the police have much more important things to do.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, I dont really give a stuff if people want a paddling pool or not - there are easy ways to get around the ban (i.e. fill it up with a jug instead). Obviously, it needs to be taken into account that you need to cut down on the amount of water you use, but the only reason I would ever report anyone would be if I really, really didnt like my neighbour. I think there were only three fines last year? I dont think all too many people are Mrs Dursely-esque
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Infallible)
    No, why would I? There are enough real criminals out there, without wasting the police's time on someone watering their tulips.
    It's a civil offence so wouldn't take up the time of the Police - besides is it right for you to determine whether a crime is severe enough for reporting or not?

Some people seem to have a two wrongs make a right attitude. Unfortunate. Can't say I have memories of it, but I dare say nobody saying that has stood at a standpipe to make a cuppa...
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wozza1991)
    It's a civil offence so wouldn't take up the time of the Police - besides is it right for you to determine whether a crime is severe enough for reporting or not?

Some people seem to have a two wrongs make a right attitude. Unfortunate. Can't say I have memories of it, but I dare say nobody saying that has stood at a standpipe to make a cuppa...
    I am capable enough to determine the severity of a crime - so, yes. Why would I want someone to get a fine for using a hosepipe? I don't understand why people think that you can 'own' water. Water is a natural resource and, as such, should be free for humans to use. I think somewhere along the line we forgot that.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    no hes watering his pansies, theres far worse crimes worthy of reporting out there.
    that being said if he was using his hose to clean away the mess after shooting someone i might reconsider :rolleyes:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Infallible)
    I am capable enough to determine the severity of a crime - so, yes. Why would I want someone to get a fine for using a hosepipe? I don't understand why people think that you can 'own' water. Water is a natural resource and, as such, should be free for humans to use. I think somewhere along the line we forgot that.
    You err on the side of playing judge and jury. Next you'll be saying you are capable of determining whether someone 'really' meant to commit that crime or had a good reason so you won't bother reporting it.

All well and good on your views of water, but what ya gonna do when there's none left?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wozza1991)
    You err on the side of playing judge and jury. Next you'll be saying you are capable of determining whether someone 'really' meant to commit that crime or had a good reason so you won't bother reporting it.

All well and good on your views of water, but what ya gonna do when there's none left?
    There is a difference between a crime and watering a lawn. If you can't make that distinction then I feel sorry for anyone who litters near you.

The same as I'll do when it runs out anyway - die.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    There are far better ways to conserve water if anyone actually cares. And I'm not talking about people giving up on their personal hygiene.

And, as others have mentioned, an awful lot of water is lost because water companies don't do their job properly.

No, I won't be reporting anyone.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pawsies)
    Interestingly there was a farmer saying that hosepipe bans had a bad impact on agriculture and there'd be food shortages due to lack of water to grow veg so food prices will rise.
    It's all a conspiracy to make my spring onions cost more.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 8, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.