The Student Room Group

whose income do i declare in this really messed up family situation?

This is a really long story, so to cut it short, ive been supporting myself for 2 years off my student loan.

My mum passed away 2 years ago, and my Dad moved out the house in with a new woman.

My brother and his family (wife and kids) now own my family home, with my sister in the converted garage.

There is a caravan in the garden where i stay when im back (except it has no heating.water or anything) and now its apparently fallen apart and ive been told im not allowed to go home (not that i do anyway. In the past 8 months ive been back christmas day and boxing day)

So i pretty much live at University and dont get any family support.

Obviously my address i put down my home address just for correspondence, but in terms of student finance what do i put?

It says i cant be an independent student because i havent supported myself for 3 years or more. But I dont live anywhere other than at uni. When i graduate i will have nowhere to live- im not just saying that- i genuinely have nowhere- theres no rooms at my old house.

So who am i meant to put on evidence section?
Reply 1
It is always either your parents or you prove you're an independent student. In your case, it would be your dad you put down and you will be income assessed off his income and that of his partner's.

To qualify as an independent student you must either be:

25 or older
Married
Have children
Have supported yourself financially for 3 years before your course started
Be estranged from your parent(s)
So look into how you can become classed as 'estranged'.

Technically, you should say your dad, otherwise every family could label their child estranged and hence get grants when really they could and should of paid.

I'm guessing it's pretty difficult to be classed as estranged.
Reply 3
You need a professional (Doctor, counsellor, social worker, teacher) to support you as proof you are estranged, and you must have absolutely no contact at all with that parent.
Reply 4
Original post by Shani
It is always either your parents or you prove you're an independent student. In your case, it would be your dad you put down and you will be income assessed off his income and that of his partner's.

To qualify as an independent student you must either be:

25 or older
Married
Have children
Have supported yourself financially for 3 years before your course started
Be estranged from your parent(s)

This is correct, sorry :frown:

I sympathise with you. A friend of mine has not lived with either parent for years, she lives with her brother and sister in law but has to still put down one of her parents. My partner has lived with me and my parents since before starting uni and is no longer in contact with his parents- in effect estranged. But he still has to consider them (and hence gets minimum of everything as he can't supply their details). Luckily my parents have been nice enough to welcome him in to the home and provide him with food etc when we're here.

Hope you get on OK when leaving uni, remember, lots of people will need somewhere to live. Keep looking for jobs and remember it's taking a big step but once you've got over the hump of finding a job/flat it will flow easier from there.

xxx
Original post by kpwxx
This is correct, sorry :frown:

I sympathise with you. A friend of mine has not lived with either parent for years, she lives with her brother and sister in law but has to still put down one of her parents. My partner has lived with me and my parents since before starting uni and is no longer in contact with his parents- in effect estranged. But he still has to consider them (and hence gets minimum of everything as he can't supply their details). Luckily my parents have been nice enough to welcome him in to the home and provide him with food etc when we're here.

Hope you get on OK when leaving uni, remember, lots of people will need somewhere to live. Keep looking for jobs and remember it's taking a big step but once you've got over the hump of finding a job/flat it will flow easier from there.

xxx

aww that sounds hard for him!!

And yeh i already have quite a bit of money saved up(at least enough to see me through a few months when i graduate), ive been working pretty much none stop since i was 14 and im now 21.

Its annoying because i want to be close to my family but they just seem so happy to push me away :frown:

I still get all the full grants and bursaries regardless of who i have to take into account- juust my Dad makes the whole thing difficult because hes so unorganised :/ *sigh*
Reply 6
Original post by pinkangelgirl
aww that sounds hard for him!!

And yeh i already have quite a bit of money saved up(at least enough to see me through a few months when i graduate), ive been working pretty much none stop since i was 14 and im now 21.

Its annoying because i want to be close to my family but they just seem so happy to push me away :frown:

I still get all the full grants and bursaries regardless of who i have to take into account- juust my Dad makes the whole thing difficult because hes so unorganised :/ *sigh*

Again, I empathise. The first person I mentioned had to send some of her mums stuff again for a double check and her mum had no idea where it was and kept saying she thought she'd burnt all her P60s for safety... I've definitely been inspired to keep all my documents safe from seeing SF experiences!

xxx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending