The Student Room Group

Aqa english literature, world war one revision tips for may 16th exam

Scroll to see replies

ermm, mainly just the actual form of it so letter, memoir, extract autobio or whatever it is. for example if it was a letter you could talk about censorship, memoirs you could talk about freedom of speech and personal value of whats being said. basically comment on how the form influences or contributes to what is written x
Reply 21
thank you so much :smile:
no problem :smile: good luck! X
Original post by dolllllllllllllly
ermm, mainly just the actual form of it so letter, memoir, extract autobio or whatever it is. for example if it was a letter you could talk about censorship, memoirs you could talk about freedom of speech and personal value of whats being said. basically comment on how the form influences or contributes to what is written x

Is there any chance you could please expand on this? :colondollar: I understand what you mean by form etc., but if you could give some more examples for each that would be amazing and would definitely be worthy of +rep! :biggrin:

I'm confident on structure, language and including wider reading... literally form is the only thing I don't really know much to write about... apart from censorship for letters and reflective tone for memoirs :frown:
oh dear! i'm doing the war literature question, i understand the whole structure and everything but do we need to include quotes for wider reading?! my teachers have said we can just describe/explain the situation or part of a text that we're referring to but i'm seeing here everybody mentioning quotes. Are they really needed?

Panicking now!

Also, does anybody have any ideas what the question for section B might be, my teacher thinks it might be either Nature or Patriotism through the war.
Is there any chance you could please expand on this? I understand what you mean by form etc., but if you could give some more examples for each that would be amazing and would definitely be worthy of +rep!

im really not sure :frown: ill try...

diary extract - comment on the fact that it is a reflection of the persons thoughts and that the person knows it will not be seen so censorship/fear of being seen is not present?

memoir - similar to diary extract... arguably more personal as it is reflecting on a personal experience from the time

autobiography - this will obviously show the thoughts and feelings of the actual persons life and therefore their view could be biased if you understand?

letter - arguably the easiest one to talk about, as censorship can definitely be involved if it is a letter from the front.

i hope this has helped a little! teaching other people is getting it more stuck in my head so thankyou!

also @oh dear! i'm doing the war literature question, i understand the whole structure and everything but do we need to include quotes for wider reading?! my teachers have said we can just describe/explain the situation or part of a text that we're referring to but i'm seeing here everybody mentioning quotes. Are they really needed?

dont panic! i asked my teacher and he said if you can remember quots (try and include a few even just phrases like 'happy warrior' from your coursewokr texts) and then detailed-ish references are acceptable. its basically just proving that you have actually read around and you have a wide knowledge of texts... for example i know a particular scene from Regeneration but i dont have a clue what the quote is so i would say ...' for example in the scene where Sassoon is in the forest surrounded by dead animals...' not a very nice example but i couldnt think of another one :')
(edited 11 years ago)
what were your texts that you have studied? i have some quotes i can give to you xxxxxx
best of luck guys!
Good luck for this everyone :smile: I'm sitting M1 and C1 maths today also... kill me now...

Any thoughts on what the theme of the unseen might be?
Original post by MrLuketastic
Good luck for this everyone :smile: I'm sitting M1 and C1 maths today also... kill me now...

Any thoughts on what the theme of the unseen might be?

lol.....hopefully something to do with the horror of war????
Really hoping there's not too much about women in war as that's my weak spot...
Original post by gypsyclimber
Really hoping there's not too much about women in war as that's my weak spot...

I BLAME YOU, YOU JINXED IT. :mad:
That's the third time I've sat the exam, and it was the hardest paper I've ever come across.

Especially Question 1.
Question 1 was very tricky, found it very hard to link anything!

The second question though (differences between poems) was lush though!

Would be annoyed if I didn't get an A. Anywho, all done for now :smile: Bring on A2!
Reply 34
Oh I hated that exam, pretty much everyone at my college has already decided to retake. That extract was ridiculous, and the poetry q's were really oddly worded but hey, it's done now :/
that exam was awful. absolutely awful.
Reply 36
Oh my god, I sat the exam and wrote that Oh What A Lovely War was by Remarque, when it wasn't.. does that mean I won't get credited for my whole paragraph on it?
Original post by Tendedez
Oh my god, I sat the exam and wrote that Oh What A Lovely War was by Remarque, when it wasn't.. does that mean I won't get credited for my whole paragraph on it?

Any points and references you made to OWALW must be considered. You're under pressure in the exam, so forgetting the author won't cost you too much. I simply referenced to it without mentioning who wrote it.

You may lose a couple of marks, but they'll be more interested in your ability as a literary critic, not in your ability to remember who wrote a play!

I can ask my teacher for you tomorrow. She is an examiner for AQA and will be marking the papers :smile: I'll PM you what she says
Reply 38
The extract was so hard to link to anything! I ended up making such a big deal out of the 'its a game' question + comment its unbelievable.

The poetry questions were slightly nicer though, the anti-war one gave you scope and I *think* that if I get an A it'll be due to that.
Original post by hallesxd
The extract was so hard to link to anything! I ended up making such a big deal out of the 'its a game' question + comment its unbelievable.

Snap :colondollar: Linked that to Jessie Pope's poem and managed to use the word 'jingoistic' to describe it :cool: Other than that it was pretty bland.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending