The Student Room Group

not wearing headscarf anymore

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I also feel the same way you do, I tried wearing it last year, but took it off after 3 months. I didn't feel that the time was right, but i am hopefully going to start wearing it when i feel comfortable in it and when I think the time is right, I dont want to wear it and then take it off after a few months. How long have you wore it for?
Reply 41
I'm not a Muslim but on principle I would say if you don't want to wear it then don't. If your parents or friends etc have a problem with that all the more reason to NOT wear it. One must stand up to tyrany and bulling!

That is just me though and you might not want to precipitate that sort of tension and strain. Have you thought about adopting a more floral or light colored type headscarf as a kind of 'half way house' to rejecting it totally?
Original post by Anonymous
i can pull guys even with a headscarf :wink: thats not really a problem, and i should really be focusing on studying! yikes

it would be funny if i continued and i said

"I can pull girls with a headscarf" but sometimes i think i get that too.... scary

erm plan wise, none, just continue like normal i guess. i just dont want that identity anymore

haha, is that right.

So, i guess your planning to switch from bring the Mother Theresa to the Rihanna:cool:. If I'm correct:biggrin:
Original post by Golden_Boy786
Ok let me note that down. Got it. For your question, yes i am a muslim, i thought you would have realised-786?

Anyway, no i would be lying if i said all muslim girls don't want to wear scarves. I just thought nobody would pick up on that comment. :tongue:

Okayy. No need to be sarcastic about it. Im afraid to say 786 means nothing to me :frown:
Oh, lol. Sorry my bad.
Reply 44
That touched me, it truly did. I think the OP should learn from you. Eh OP, what do you fink?

i feel so mean saying this, but you sound like countless other girls. (i really apologise for sounding so mean)

it`s not the religeous element of the importance of hijab, i just dont think its me.
and iv had to deal with anti-hijab stuff from my extended family a while ago (who are also pakistani) but at that time i wanted to cover my hair and follow religeon to that extent.

now i dont. im going to find my own way somehow, and id like to leave all religeous ties behind for now... even harder i know
Reply 45
Original post by Iqbal007
WOW, my mum goes crazy if a girl is anywhere near me :/ they get weird idead ¬¬

Well when you drop your headscarf, people won't see you as a the good girl you described or as the person they thought they knew. It happens with some people where friends, etc start behaving differently and acting unfriendly.
Also if you do this, your family may feel like that giving you so much freedom was the reason, they might put a stronger curfew on you.

Whats the problem exactly?

Iqbal, you've gotta be confident with the girls man! It's how you're gonna lose your virginity.
i currently wear a headscarf... however, I do not want to anymore as I do not feel it represents who i am any more.I am not religeous anymore and do not want to be attached to any religion.

so I want to stop wearing it, however, bit worried about reaction from family. as I know they`ll be like "its the right thing, you`ve always worn it"
however, I dont feel confident with it anymore- its not me, and now am old enough to know what I truly want, its not what I want.

im thinking I should just keep it on till september (start uni) then take it off, my parents wont be there so I wont have to explain to them? although they`d then realise and ask,why?

n I guess I would feel slightly guilty too. but its wrong to do something just because you feel you have to..

basically its a conversation am going to have to have...

so what should i do?

any suggestions would be appreciated :smile:

Hi there, just wanted to say that although it can be difficult pretending to go along with the religion and things if you're not feeling it anymore it might not be a good idea to be so open about it until you're independent. So if something goes wrong you will be ok.

If you really aren't wanting to wear hijaab and don't feel like being open about your wavering religousness you could say you;ve become a Quranist (as it doesn;t say you have to wear the hijaab in the Qur'an- just that you should dress modestly and cover your chest). I'm not advocating you lying to your parents (I do it a lot and hate it), but it might be an easier way around things for now.

But just make sure this is definitely what you want, don't do anything you'd regret :smile:

Original post by Silver Lining
and it is compulsory for a Muslim woman to cover herself from her non-mehram, it is a sign of a Muslim woman. it is written in the Quran. I do apologise for bringing this up but what you said is wrong.

The Qur'an only says you should dress modestly (which is subjective), and that you should cover your chest. The idea of hijaab comes from the Hadith.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Ayesha.Tabassam95
Okayy. No need to be sarcastic about it. Im afraid to say 786 means nothing to me :frown:
Oh, lol. Sorry my bad.

Its ok, apologie accepted:wink:.
Reply 48
haha, is that right.

So, i guess your planning to switch from bring the Mother Theresa to the Rihanna:cool:. If I'm correct:biggrin:

lol im no mother theresa- people just look up to me even though i hardly ever talk to any1 (well in the pakistani/muslim community) and no not Rihanna- i dont even know who that is?
most likely still remain big bang style geek
is iit coz u feel ugly in a scarf and you dnt get attention coz ppl think ur religious
i feel so mean saying this, but you sound like countless other girls. (i really apologise for sounding so mean)

it`s not the religeous element of the importance of hijab, i just dont think its me.
and iv had to deal with anti-hijab stuff from my extended family a while ago (who are also pakistani) but at that time i wanted to cover my hair and follow religeon to that extent.

now i dont. im going to find my own way somehow, and id like to leave all religeous ties behind for now... even harder i know

You called me a girl:cry2:.
Reply 51
Original post by ak137
Iqbal, you've gotta be confident with the girls man! It's how you're gonna lose your virginity.

compeltely off topic but soo funny :biggrin: sorry iqbal
Its ok, apologie accepted:wink:.

So what does 786 mean then?
better to do it now, otherwise they're gonna think unis make you 'bad'
Reply 54
You called me a girl:cry2:.

am sorry.... now to try to make it up to you

"alryt bro"
I think you'll instinctively want to return to wearing it
Hey OP, if I've got it right, then your crisis is actually the 'losing faith' part rather than the ' byebye hijab ' dilemma.
Because your choice of taking the headscarf off would be the aftermath of your faith weakening, right? :smile:
Reply 57
You have had 18 years of Islam, I honestly think you know what you are doing. People don't just suddenly feel un-religious. you have thought it through and have enough experience to make a concise decision. At the end of the day it's just a piece of material covering some hair. Just don't change the way you dress or anything because that will blow your parents brains x
Reply 58
compeltely off topic but soo funny :biggrin: sorry iqbal

PM me :wink:
Reply 59
If you feel that it's misrepresenting you, then take it off. It's just a piece of fabric.
I'm not seeing why it's such a big deal.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending