The Student Room Group

not wearing headscarf anymore

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
what? ive never been to my local mosque. only at funerals..

i dont have any muslim friend. i practised mainly through books/lectures and i also sing and play a number of instruments and some religeous events. but not allowed to play in public as people mind instruments. i personally find it adds to a spritual experience.

That's terrible. Being a Muslim is all about community and sisterhood (for the women). There are many many evidences that urge this, for example the hadith about lone worshippers being like lone sheep. The lone sheep make good prey for a fox compared to the herd, just like the shaytan can easily prey on people who practice in isolation and lead them astray. It's impossible. There are lectures, local events, women's meetings etc if you look around locally. Search online. You can meet like minded people. the Islamic Society at university is also a good place to start.
I think if you're detached from friends and community, and are only surrounded by non-muslim influences, sooner or later you'll adopt their ways. Family often practice in a cultural way -- empty rituals and behaviour without any genuine purpose or explanation, which often just does not resonate with us. In Britain, most practicing Muslim youth actually do it in spite if their parents (who often give them grief).
Reply 121

i know you wanna remain anonymous but could you PM me pls
Reply 122
Original post by Tabris
It's your life, do what you want. Once you are an adult, you dictate the direction of your life.

Whatever you do, don't do it suddenly and out of the blue (at least, in their eyes). Make sure you talk to them about it.

true, but its also the inital talking, they`ll probably just force me to go to religeous events for a while, or "friend" me with someone religeous, or discuss about the summer planned photoshoot. why do i do these things? :s-smilie:

No in actual fact it does not say that in Quran, so you are completely wrong, it refers to dressing modestly. Wearing the hijab is not compulsory.

i thought it was? i think it was fatima r.a. who first wore the hijab once it was commanded. not entirely sure.
I think you should think twice before taking it off ,you've spent all these years of your life with it ,so why take it off now ?i mean what are the reasons?if you dont mind me asking ?
Also you shouldnt let your parent be your first concern ,because you wear it for Allah you are following islam !right? or if you were forced to wear it then thats a different story .
But Please rethink and Hijab is one of the most amazing things in girls life ,also i'm not saying taking it off will make you a bad person ,but i personally think it completes who you are and shows people that you are muslim :smile:
Dont be scared of anyone ,you should only be scared of Allah !
Reply 124
. if anyone wants my designs which should have been modelled in the summer you can have them. i dont want it anymore.

i

:dance: ahan any chance?
Reply 125
[QUOTE="shush;37022489"]i know you wanna remain anonymous but could you PM me pls[/QUOTE

why? (sorry if i seem pessimistic)
Original post by harmony_01
It's ok I know that the hijab is compulsory in the Qur'an exegesis of Surah An Nur. :smile: Sometimes, it can be hard to reconcile having a Muslim identity. If you can understand urdu, this lady asks the same question.

No I dont understand Urdu I'm afraid!

i am thinking off. if anyone wants my designs which should have been modelled in the summer you can have them. i dont want it anymore.

i am going to start afresh! its the best way. however losing your identity is scary and im still puzzled over explaining to my family.

Scientist/ fashion designer? Haha sweet..

How about something along the lines of " mummy, daddy, (lol..). A muslimah who doesn't wear the hijab but is pious, and remains dutiful to her Rabb is much more better than the girl who wears the hijab and acts everything against it..."

Anyone agree? OP? :colondollar:
yes. i have an english translation (irfan ul quran ) but i (am/was) more of a rumi fan- i like his poetry and his transformation due to shibli.

Sorry I wasn;t replying to you in that post you quoted :smile:

uni will make it easier, but i still love my family, and regardless of my future i still want to stay close to them.

We all feel like this, I am really lucky my mum loves me regardless of whether I am a Muslim or not. My dad , however... Lol.

I'd say introduce the idea slowly, first tell them that you are doubting your faith, then that you;re doubting it more, and then that you have lost it. Space these revelations out though, don't do them all within a week lol. Give them time to come around to the idea :smile:
Reply 129
In Islam you don't HAVE to wear the headscarf, it's YOUR choice.Lots of women who are very good Muslims don't wear it and it's fine. :biggrin:

women have no choice in islam, on anything.
Reply 130
[QUOTE="Anonymous;37022575"]
Original post by shush
i know you wanna remain anonymous but could you PM me pls[/QUOTE

why? (sorry if i seem pessimistic)

cuz inneh
well jus wanna talk to you about the topic init
and idk i just find it dodgy tryna talk to someone properly when theres eyes and ears everywhere
[sorry if you dont get what i mean]
Reply 131
Original post by anixa019
:dance: ahan any chance?

yes sure

it`ll take me a week though, to get round to "getting my face" out of em. keeping anon. lol and they`re only drafts- not proffessional picz although all the styles are new, theyre just unique ways to doll up a headscarf- ranging from using 1- to 5 headscarfs and a wedding look.
Original post by Ayshizzle
No I dont understand Urdu I'm afraid!

Nah it's cool. She was asking whether it was Arab culture that led to all this covering and it was said, that it wasn't. Then she asked about how do you reconcile this with a culture that makes it difficult to wear the hijab and he said it isn't. Pakistan is warm to Islam etc.

But the main point is I've come across many women that don't wear the hijab but they want to/would like to. In any case, I agree with what silentninja advocates is to go out and meet practising Muslims. I find it hard living in an area where there are no local mosques albeit the fact that are two local churches, as soon as I'm at university, I feel calm simply because there's a whole community of Muslims around me that help strengthen my faith and adherence to pray.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 133
yes sure

it`ll take me a week though, to get round to "getting my face" out of em. keeping anon. lol and they`re only drafts- not proffessional picz although all the styles are new, theyre just unique ways to doll up a headscarf- ranging from using 1- to 5 headscarfs and a wedding look.

lol thanks :biggrin: btw good luck with u'r parents...hope u get it sorted it!!
Reply 134
As a Muslim I thought this was really sad, and I was upset by it. Do you not believe in God anymore? The hijab marks your chastity, I would not advice that you take it off. Why do you feel that the whole world should 'check you out'?

Bottom line is, it's your decision.
Reply 135
Original post by SmallStudent
Scientist/ fashion designer? Haha sweet..

How about something along the lines of " mummy, daddy, (lol..). A muslimah who doesn't wear the hijab but is pious, and remains dutiful to her Rabb is much more better than the girl who wears the hijab and acts everything against it..."

Anyone agree? OP? :colondollar:

whys that sweet? ive always found no offence to anyone, generally hijabi girls can be a bit hmm when it comes to looking cool- hijab style. so made my own looks. ive never worn just one headscarf lol wrapped around. it always has to look cool, and uncopiable.
yes but the dispute would be? but you`re doing so well with it? whhy take it off now? i dont want them to know im questionning the foundations of my beliefs. they`d think they brought me up wrong. but they havent.

Original post by Ayshizzle
Sorry I wasn;t replying to you in that post you quoted :smile:

We all feel like this, I am really lucky my mum loves me regardless of whether I am a Muslim or not. My dad , however... Lol.

I'd say introduce the idea slowly, first tell them that you are doubting your faith, then that you;re doubting it more, and then that you have lost it. Space these revelations out though, don't do them all within a week lol. Give them time to come around to the idea :smile:

yes i guess, but they`d assume (and assume im going though a bizzare science craze)

and i dont really have any restrictions or anything like that, so i guess they`d then think its their fault
Original post by silent ninja
Think you should surround yourself with good Muslim friends. Have you been practicing in isolation? That's impossible if you have. University has ISOC too where you can get more involved in Islamic activities.

It ultimately depends on where you're going, but your university ISoc is more than likely going to be a hardline salafist outfit with extremely dodgy views and connections. I'd steer well clear.
Reply 137
true, but its also the inital talking, they`ll probably just force me to go to religeous events for a while, or "friend" me with someone religeous, or discuss about the summer planned photoshoot. why do i do these things? :s-smilie:

Well, at the moment, it is just a probably and not a definitely.

Even if it was a definitely, think of it as a way of getting them to see things your way. A test of sorts. Say if your parents did ask you to do something like that, it'd be just to make sure that you definitely wanted to stop wearing the headscarf out of your own volition.

So if that does happen. Try to find a way to compromise with them. Like say if you go through that and still want to stop wearing the head scarf, you get the go ahead to do so.
Reply 138
[QUOTE="shush;37022625"]

cuz inneh
well jus wanna talk to you about the topic init
and idk i just find it dodgy tryna talk to someone properly when theres eyes and ears everywhere
[sorry if you dont get what i mean]

ok, can you gurantee my anonmity. or should i just make another account?
Reply 139
[QUOTE="Anonymous;37022769"]
Original post by shush

ok, can you gurantee my anonmity. or should i just make another account?

its safe with me
i think its a Hadith..'enclose others secrets for Allah will enclose yours on the Day of Judgement'

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending