The Student Room Group

If you could change ONE about the application process - what would it be and why?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Renal
Is this from your own experience? :rolleyes:

Back when I started medical school we routinely had students with Bs and Cs at A-Level, they didn't struggle. Medical school is fundamentally different from school, those who do well at the latter may struggle with the former and vice versa.

I guess it depends when you did your A-levels, my cousin who is 30 now, is a Doctor, and A-levels before were much harder than they are now. O-levels were always harder than GCSES, so a C then is equv, of an A/B now; plus medicine has become increasingly popular.
Plus to get AAA you generally have to put some work in, something you'll have to do at medical school.
Reply 41
Original post by AishaTara
something you'll have to do at medical school.
Is it? :rolleyes:
The thing about MMI is, it tests a much wider range of skills than a standard interview. The idea that you don't have time to sell yourself isn't true because at most MMI unis they have at least one or two stations that have standard interview style questions. The only difference is you see a maximum of one person per station. The ideology is that each person forms an independent opinion of you. In traditional interviews, the views of one can very easily influence the other members of the panel. I felt much more comfortable being 1 on 1 with someone than having 3 interviews staring at me.

I think MMI is a step in the right direction.

My change would be to the admission tests.

I, like many, I doubt the usefulness of these "Aptitude" style admission tests. I dislike them, not because they are hard, but because parts don't really examine relevant skill sets and they are highly speed based.

I would improve them by:

Increasing the time allowance so the majority of people can be expected to finish comfortably.

Stick to assessing the following: Verbal Reasoning, Critical Thinking, Scientific Application (The rest seem close to irrelevant, at least to me)

Having the results published well before applications are sent off (I'm looking at you BMAT).
(edited 12 years ago)
Well i nailed the UKCAT and benefitted a lot from it, but in terms of showing an applicants suitability for medicine it is entirely useless. I think it's a shame that a totally arbitrary test can ruin a lot of good candidates applications.
Original post by Renal
Is it? :rolleyes:

haha :P
I've heard medical school has less concepts than a-levels, and is more about learning the vast amount of content. Is this true? Because AS anyway I find its mostly learning rather than actual understanding.
Secondly, I'm sure as a medical student you still had to put time into learning; its not like GCSES where you can not revise at all, or the night before and pull a decent grade.
How has your experience of work load been at med school?

I've spoken to some medical students, and they say its not as bad as people make it to sound.
Reply 45
Have the application deadline in January like standard.
Reply 46
Yeah, deadline in January is more reasonable than October..
just standardise the whole application process
Reply 47
Original post by Caponester
Can I just check, have both of you actually taken part in a MMI?

I've done a degree's worth of MMIs, so yes.

The MMI format doesn't tease out an applicant's personality the same way as a structured, 20-30 minute interview does. In fact, if it was up to me, I wouldn't even have a paneled and structured interview, I'd have an informal chat in the cafe with someone then a little walk around the school to get a better feel for the individuals in question.

A-levels are now so easy that the med/vet schools are having to use ANYTHING BUT a-levels to judge the academic suitability of applicants. Like I said earlier, there should be a standard, nationwide, stand-alone entrance exam, followed by a chat in the cafeteria to gauge med school suitability. That will upset a lot of people, but hey.....
Original post by Parle à ma main
Personally, if I was a university, I would want to see what kind of person people are when they're not being watched, and they're not in an interview situation where they know they have to impress. I would hire an actor to play an applicant in the interview waiting room, and instruct them to act really nervous or burst into tears, and see how the other applicants react. I think that's the best way to test people's natural compassion/people skills.

Edit: and use that in conjunction with the rest of the interview.

I think it's a good idea, but it's not necessarily practical. It might work for one year and soon after, people would catch on and it'd just be one extra thing to prepare for. Even now, my teachers told me to maintain top-form throughout interview day because they could be doing such things as you suggest.
-------
As for my suggestion, along with eliminating the UKCAT like has been suggested, I would like to see a contractual agreement for universities using UCAS to liaise with UCAS about why your application was unsuccessful on a personally detailed level. The reasons for your unsuccessful decisions could be shown on decision letters or elsewhere on Track.

Too many candidates are rejected and given useless generic reasons, not giving them much to work on for potential reapplication. For those who would suggest that the workload here would be ridiculous and therefore impossible - it's not really. Universities are filthy rich establishments, and through employing admissions staff for scoring applications and giving reasons for rejections as they go along, it's perfectly reasonable to get a succinct statement directing you on how to improve for next time.

I mean more than one sentence such as 'Your BMAT was very poor', mind. I'm talking analysis of what was strong so that you know to include that next time, and analysis of each weak aspect.

One of the main reasons for my suggesting this is that it often appears that universities are simply rejecting medical applicants simply because there are too many of them, which is essentially a horrible thing to do and ruins people's days!
Original post by skylight17
Was just curious as to what people would want to change about the whole application process - whether that be taking something out of it or adding something extra to make the process even more competitive!

I think I would take out how much emphasis some unis put on UKCAT, as is it really a true represenation of a good doctor? (only a way to differentiate between candidates) - also prevents you from applying to somewhere you might really want to go.

Perhaps all unis should use the MMI style (of 7-10 stations) - a true test of the individual's personal and intellectual capacity. Also helps to avoid bias of the interview panel.

Also, maybe add in a mock PBL session (even for unis that don't adopt this style) as this is an effective way to see how people interact with one another (dominant and passive characters etc...)

Just my musings :smile:

Edit: excuse the mistake in the title *ONE thing

No no. Interviews should be individual otherwise it'll just end up like The Apprentice where brutally try to make themselves seem bigger and better than the others and just discourages those who would be excellent candidates, were they not in a room full of people who have been turned cocky due to their nerves.

I agree, UKCAT doesn't show ability, it just shows how good you are at thinking in a particular way (In other words, it measures IQ). I'd be biased (because it was the strong point in my application) but I think that it must be used for a reason? I don't know. At the same time, you can say that GCSEs shouldn't be looked at either, etc etc etc.

At the end of the day, I think that people are right. I think UCAS should change so that you can only apply after having achieved the grades.

Also, maybe add in a mock PBL session (even for unis that don't adopt this style) as this is an effective way to see how people interact with one another (dominant and passive characters etc...)

Original post by PrismaticCore
No no. Interviews should be individual otherwise it'll just end up like The Apprentice where brutally try to make themselves seem bigger and better than the others and just discourages those who would be excellent candidates, were they not in a room full of people who have been turned cocky due to their nerves.

Interesting you both mention this, the graduate entry programme at Warwick Medical School and Barts and The London SMD actually incorporates a group exercise as part of the interview process. I was really skeptical about it at first as I thought it would be like The Apprentice, but when I went I actually found it quite enjoyable and infinitely preferable to the usual grilling. Though perhaps my group were all just very nice, I've certainly heard about some people acting like dickheads and dominating the exercise...though I've also heard that they didn't get in :wink:

Cue lots of people telling me that that's not what real life is like, MMIs are supreme, etc, etc.
Reply 51
Original post by Parle à ma main
Personally, if I was a university, I would want to see what kind of person people are when they're not being watched, and they're not in an interview situation where they know they have to impress. I would hire an actor to play an applicant in the interview waiting room, and instruct them to act really nervous or burst into tears, and see how the other applicants react. I think that's the best way to test people's natural compassion/people skills.

Edit: and use that in conjunction with the rest of the interview.

This.

Excellent idea. Not only does it reflect your compassion/empathetic nature, but also tests you how you deal with an unfamiliar situation with a stranger. Good indicators for someone who's going into a profession like Medicine.

Although, it might become predictable over the years. So, universities would need to establish new and unique ways every year. Might be slightly difficult though.

I would definitely rep you for this though, however, I am out of reps. :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 52
Original post by happyhands
A-levels are now so easy that the med/vet schools are having to use ANYTHING BUT a-levels to judge the academic suitability of applicants

I completely disagree with you here - you can't tell me that Chemistry and Maths/further Maths and Biology (parts of it) are SO EASY! :confused:

I think most people would agree with me on that...
Reply 53
I completely disagree with you here - you can't tell me that Chemistry and Maths/further Maths and Biology (parts of it) are SO EASY! :confused:

I think most people would agree with me on that...

Mathematics is ridiculously easy, especially when you have access to so many years worth of past papers.

If access to past papers were denied, then A-Levels would become considerably harder. However, as it stands, you only need to learn the exam techniques, and go through past papers ( which effectively means you've already secured a C/B grade because many questions tend to be repeats ), and you find yourself with a decent grade.
Original post by CraigKirk
I think it's a good idea, but it's not necessarily practical. It might work for one year and soon after, people would catch on and it'd just be one extra thing to prepare for. Even now, my teachers told me to maintain top-form throughout interview day because they could be doing such things as you suggest.

Yeah, you're right. It's just a shame that the application system has become a lot of hoop jumping and, tbh, luck. It's a shame that you can prepare for things so easily.

I like your suggestion, especially considering how much time, energy and even money we have to put it in to apply, it's unfair to just get a generic response.

Original post by arsi123
This.

Excellent idea. Not only does it reflect your compassion/empathetic nature, but also tests you how you deal with an unfamiliar situation with a stranger. Good indicators for someone who's going into a profession like Medicine.

Although, it might become predictable over the years. So, universities would need to establish new and unique ways every year. Might be slightly difficult though.

I would definitely rep you for this though, however, I am out of reps. :frown:

Yeah, I reckon it would become see-through about a month into the first cycle it was used. I suppose roleplays in MMIs are supposed to reflect what you're saying, but in reality, I don't think they do because you know it's a roleplay and you know you're being watched, which I can imagine being quite offputting if nothing else.

Medicine's just too competitive, I genuinely think that most people who apply for med school would be fine doctors (that's what medical school is there for!), so med schools resort to pointless distinguishing factors.

And that's fine, nicer to get a reply imo :p:
Reply 55
I dunno though, the ukcat is quite a good indicator of logic and problem solving skills, as well as interpreting and pressure/time keeping. It's not bad.

I think the bmat's scientific knowledge sections is more useless, because students do a-levels already, I don't see how knowing a student can do some a-lil-higher-than-gcse-level physics questions helps anyone.
I agree with a lot of the points being made here, but i think a lot of the things that people don't like are just inevitable side effects of having such a hugely over subscribed degree course.

I'd really like it to be more like the admissions for other degree courses but i don't think that's going to happen any time soon.
Most people have pretty much said what I would have said but just to add, providing detailed feedback as to why your application was not successful if you are rejected from a university would be helpful. Simply saying 'that there were stronger applicants than you who applied' is not good enough in my opinion.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Democracy
Interesting you both mention this, the graduate entry programme at Warwick Medical School and Barts and The London SMD actually incorporates a group exercise as part of the interview process. I was really skeptical about it at first as I thought it would be like The Apprentice, but when I went I actually found it quite enjoyable and infinitely preferable to the usual grilling. Though perhaps my group were all just very nice, I've certainly heard about some people acting like dickheads and dominating the exercise...though I've also heard that they didn't get in :wink:

Cue lots of people telling me that that's not what real life is like, MMIs are supreme, etc, etc.

Yeh i enjoyed the group exercise as well when i did it, different but really good fun. It wasn't entirely like real life but you could definitely pick up the general vibes from people in the room. One girl really tried to dominate the session and it was clear early on that she was going to irritate people, so it became an exercise in placating her whilst simultaneously trying to get the quieter members involved.

I came out of that room with a pretty clear impression of who i'd want to work with in the future, the overly-assertive girl and another guy who was a bit of a wet fish were no good, the rest of us got on fine.
Original post by Pride
I dunno though, the ukcat is quite a good indicator of logic and problem solving skills, as well as interpreting and pressure/time keeping. It's not bad.

I think the bmat's scientific knowledge sections is more useless, because students do a-levels already, I don't see how knowing a student can do some a-lil-higher-than-gcse-level physics questions helps anyone.

Personally, I think the opposite is true :P

Just got the 600Q UKCAT book, and the method of testing just seems completely random, and im not sure how me not being able to figure out that "in one set all the arrows dont point left, but in the other they do point left", would make me a bad doctor.

The BMAT, however, atleast tests relevant skills. Such as that you can apply scientific principles to alien scenarios, which is a skill that is valuable in medicine.

Sure, the knowledge is based on GCSE, but they are trying to see that you can use knowledge to solve problems, a much better indicator of potential in an applicant for a science-based degree. I dont think that A-Levels/GCSE's really test this skill to a good enough extent, the only science a-level that tests this to a large extent is physics, the other subjects you can learn to get an A via past papers.

Anyways, I really despise the UKCAT, and wish more emphasis was based on AS grades/UMS, as well as entrance exams with a scientific element, such as the BMAT

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending