The Student Room Group

How to pay for accommodation etc? Please help!

I have loads of questions please try and answer them because I'm really confused.
1. How do students pay for accommodation? Is this covered under the maintenance grant? Or does the student or their family contribute? What about taking out a loan?
2. I will be a nursing student. Is it true if I get the NHS bursary I won't be entitled to additional grants/financial support? (because the NHS will be paying my course fees)
3. What is the purpose of applying to student finance? Is it for the maintenance grants? Do I apply to them for accommodation loans?
As you can see I suck at understanding it all, please help, I'm REALLY confused. :K::hugs:
Reply 1
You should get a non income assessed NHS grant, an income assessed NHS bursary and a reduced rate maintenance loan. You need to apply to Student Finance for the maintenance loan, and the NHS for the others (but the NHS will contact you when it's time).

You need to either use this money, or your own (or your parents) money to pay for your accommodation; you don't get any extra for accommodation or living costs.
Reply 2
Original post by Shani
You should get a non income assessed NHS grant, an income assessed NHS bursary and a reduced rate maintenance loan. You need to apply to Student Finance for the maintenance loan, and the NHS for the others (but the NHS will contact you when it's time).

You need to either use this money, or your own (or your parents) money to pay for your accommodation; you don't get any extra for accommodation or living costs.

Hi, thanks. :smile: Do you know about income assessed bursaries and non-income assessed bursaries? What's the difference (apart from the obvious). When I did the calculator it suggested there was a choice? I'm a bit confused!
Reply 3
I don't know the exact figures, sorry. You will need to supply your parent(s) financial information (if you're not an independent student?) and they will use those figures to work out what you'll be entitled to. As far as I know, the reduced rate maintenance loan (not income assessed) is just under £3k a year, and the NHS grant (not income assessed) is £1k a year. The income assessed bursary could be up to around £3k (I'm not sure on that one), but the amount would depend on your household income.

If you choose not to be income assessed you could end up with less if your household income is low.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending