The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Elipsis
Christians are killed for being Christians almost every day in Muslim countries... why on earth are Christians playing up to Muslim's victim mentality by allowing the hijacking of Easter?

Yes, it is terrible that this girl was murdered. But at least she will get justice. 99% of the Christians killed in Sudan, Iraq, Egypt etc. never get justice, and I don't see Muslims making groups about that or not wearing their hijab for a day.

Here's one for Turkey:
http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/turkeys-missionary-killings-overlooked-lawyer.aspx?pageID=238&nID=17783&NewsCatID=339

Here's an article about Boko Haram in Nigeria:
http://www.canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/45689

Here's one in Iraq:
http://www.catholicculture.org/news/headlines/index.cfm?storyid=13772

Indeed in Iraq over 70 churches have been raised to the ground, and over 1000 Christians have been murdered since 2003:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-l-esposito/getting-it-right-israel-a_b_1345786.html

Here's one about Syrian Christians being cleansed:
http://www.aina.org/news/20120329133601.htm

So pleeeeeeeeeeeeeassssssssssssseeeeeeeeeee stop trying to play the victim card. You are the oppressors, so I will spend Easter Sunday - the biggest day in the Christian calender celebrating Christ and mourning thousands and thousands of Christians instead of caring about the one Muslim who was killed but got justice in the West in a long time.

Your post is stupidity personified. The victim in this case is Shaima Alawadi, stop twisting this into a Islam v Christianity debate.

‘99% of Christians killed in Muslim countries never get justice’ err...what? Where did you get that figure from? From your backside I’m guessing.

You do realise that places like Syria and Iraq have had a lot conflict recently, with the vast majority of those killed being Muslims, so inevitably Christians are going to get caught up in what is a political conflict, not a religious one. You should be placing the blame at the feet of the American government for launching the war in Iraq on false pretences, resulting in the deaths of countless Muslims and Christians. And in the case of Nigeria, both Muslims and Christians have committed horrible atrocities against each other, you’ve just conveniently chosen to turn a blind eye to the other side of the story.

But the most absurd notion of your argument is that Muslims can’t be the victims. So the hundreds and thousands of innocent Muslims killed in Afghanistan and Iraq by American and coalition forces are not victims right? Or the Pakistani families blown to pieces by American drones, what about them? Today is the 20th anniversary of the Bosnian war, in which tens of thousands of Muslim Bosniaks were massacred by Christian Serbs. But of course, Muslims can never be the victims can they? You’ve also selectively chosen to ignore the plight of Palestinian Christians in the holy land, who having peacefully coexisted with Muslims for over a thousand years have now almost been cleansed from their indigenous land as a result of the policies of the Israeli government.

I’m not saying anti-Christian sentiment doesn’t exist amongst Muslims, indeed there are plenty of horrible Muslims out there, but the fact is that such animosity is harboured only by a small minority. In the same way Christians like you, who have a deep dislike of Muslims are also in the minority. If you really believe that Muslims are all programmed from birth to hate other people then perhaps you should venture out of your basement more often and see a bit of the world for yourself.

So I hope you have a happy Easter this Sunday and remember ALL victims of violence, regardless of religious affiliation. At the very least you should be proud of the symbolic gesture from your fellow Christians with regards to the murder of Shaima Alawadi, you are taught after all to love one another, aren’t you?
Original post by Chloe xxx
Being an ass?

Im not religious I was commenting on the difference between Quran and Bible with their respective followers.

Ooh silly me must have taken it the wrong way then its just that i've read a lot of your comments and they just sounded....i don't know errm hateful towards Islam...
But i guess i just took them the wrong way too, right?:rolleyes:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Indo-Chinese Food
swimming is not prohibited in islam - women swimming in the sea is restricted becuase they have to cover up head to foot

:lol: ... only something you'd read on TSR.
Original post by King-Panther

In the middle east, muslim as well as christians are being killed. Muslims are being killed in africa by christians also..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yelwa_massacre

Was jesus God or not? You claim he was when he never did, it says in the bible god is absolute, therefore he couldn't die... I never no issues with saying god can't die, because then he wouldn't be god. Its the anti-christ who claims to be god, as confirmed in your own book.

John 14:16 "And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever"

John 15:26 "But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, [even] the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me"

John 14:26 "But the Comforter, [which is] the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you."

Well clearly jesus spoke of another prophet to come, so either you are ignorant of your own religion (which would seem the case because you think jesus is god when he himself never claimed such a thing) or you're a lier, mithra style morals.

Which miracles did abraham perform, by your logic, is he also not a prophet? Indeed the quran is a miracle, I'm glad you have regocnised this, i sincerely hope you read it.

Give me an example where muhammed spread islam by the sword?

How is islam any more of a cult than mithraism?

When do we chant? Muhammed never required us to dress like him, show me where?

Nope, there are no christians named jesus, moses, abraham, nope.

Indeed, i was lucky enough to be born into the religion of jesus, moses and abraham, insha-allah you will cease worshipping the anti-christ and join me in worship of the one god, there is no god but god.

Jesus never claimed to be god and even according to the bible, the anti-christ is who claims to be god, regocnise who you're following.

What is your constant reference to Mithra in relation too?
Reply 104
How many Muslims would wear a Crucifix as a symbol of solidarity?

None.
Original post by grad_dentist
:lol: ... only something you'd read on TSR.

Not really, it is based in fact afterall
Original post by Awesome_Sauce
People in the rest of the thread had said that Muslim women couldn't really wear one pieces etc to swim. I was just saying that there was a health club in Dubai in which they could because it's an only female health club :smile:

Ooh, right i never read them..
But just to clarify, what you have read is not true. :biggrin:
What is your constant reference to Mithra in relation too?

Mithra was born of a virgin on December 25th.

He was considered a great traveling teacher and master.

He had 12 companions

He performed miracles.

He died and was buried in a tomb only to be resurrected after three days.

His resurrection was celebrated every year.

Mithra was called "the Good Shepherd."

He was considered "the Way, the Truth and the Light, the Redeemer, the Savior, the Messiah."

He was identified with both the Lion and the Lamb.

His sacred day was Sunday.

Mithra had his principal festival on what was later to become Easter, at which time he was resurrected.

His religion had a Eucharist or "Lord's Supper.".........ect, ect, ect.
Reply 108
Original post by Elipsis
I know you realise this already but you aren't dealing with Christians here, you're dealing with Muslims. They will judge you and judge you and judge you for saying this. You have lost all respect in their eyes, just like you would have lost all respect in Mo Mo's eyes. In fact he probably would have you killed, because he's such a nice guy. He is no Jesus who would have washed your feet and forgiven you, that's for sure.

This is why Islamic countries are the way they are, and Christian countries are the way they are. I am so glad we live in a country where we get the choice on who to worship, or not worship. There is a reason most Muslim countries, despite claiming they are just the next permeatation of Christianity, don't allow the bible - because they would all become Christian. We here in the West can stand up to Islamic conversion because only the stupid or foolish do it, whereas it would totally wipe out Islam in a few decades if it were allowed to proliferate there.

Being brought up a devout Catholic (Im not anymore, but I acknowledge the existance and crucification of Jesus), I was always taught Jesus loves everyone, as does God and he forgives all sins. Even gay people, and that everyone is equal. Guess thats why I'm so 'immoral', because I was always told this. I would go to confession and my 'sins' would be forgiven.

This opinion caused conflict within the family, when my dad told my mum, after she commented she hoped she was rotting in hell, that Myra Hindley would have gone to heaven because she had repented her sins to God before she died.

My mum was disgusted at this proposition, lol.
Original post by TRS-T
How many Muslims would wear a Crucifix as a symbol of solidarity?

None.

Because jesus never died on the cross, mithra did.

1) Hundreds of years before Jesus, according to the Mithraic religion, three Wise Men of Persia came to visit the baby savior-god Mithra, bring him gifts of gold, myrrh and frankincense.
2) Mithra was born on December 25 as told in the “Great Religions of the World”, page 330; “…it was the winter solstice celebrated by ancients as the birthday of Mithraism’s sun god”.
3) According to Mithraism, before Mithra died on a cross, he celebrated a “Last Supper with his twelve disciples, who represented the twelve signs of the zodiac.
4) After the death of Mithra, his body was laid to rest in a rock tomb.
5) Mithra had a celibate priesthood.
6) Mithra ascended into heaven during the spring (Passover) equinox (the time when the sun crosses the equator making night and day of equal length).
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by 7thDegOfSeparation
Your post is stupidity personified. The victim in this case is Shaima Alawadi, stop twisting this into a Islam v Christianity debate.

‘99% of Christians killed in Muslim countries never get justice’ err...what? Where did you get that figure from? From your backside I’m guessing.

You do realise that places like Syria and Iraq have had a lot conflict recently, with the vast majority of those killed being Muslims, so inevitably Christians are going to get caught up in what is a political conflict, not a religious one. You should be placing the blame at the feet of the American government for launching the war in Iraq on false pretences, resulting in the deaths of countless Muslims and Christians. And in the case of Nigeria, both Muslims and Christians have committed horrible atrocities against each other, you’ve just conveniently chosen to turn a blind eye to the other side of the story.

But the most absurd notion of your argument is that Muslims can’t be the victims. So the hundreds and thousands of innocent Muslims killed in Afghanistan and Iraq by American and coalition forces are not victims right? Or the Pakistani families blown to pieces by American drones, what about them? Today is the 20th anniversary of the Bosnian war, in which tens of thousands of Muslim Bosniaks were massacred by Christian Serbs. But of course, Muslims can never be the victims can they? You’ve also selectively chosen to ignore the plight of Palestinian Christians in the holy land, who having peacefully coexisted with Muslims for over a thousand years have now almost been cleansed from their indigenous land as a result of the policies of the Israeli government.

I’m not saying anti-Christian sentiment doesn’t exist amongst Muslims, indeed there are plenty of horrible Muslims out there, but the fact is that such animosity is harboured only by a small minority. In the same way Christians like you, who have a deep dislike of Muslims are also in the minority. If you really believe that Muslims are all programmed from birth to hate other people then perhaps you should venture out of your basement more often and see a bit of the world for yourself.

So I hope you have a happy Easter this Sunday and remember ALL victims of violence, regardless of religious affiliation. At the very least you should be proud of the symbolic gesture from your fellow Christians with regards to the murder of Shaima Alawadi, you are taught after all to love one another, aren’t you?

You can take some solace from the fact that elipsis isnt just entirely oppossed to the idea of muslims, he is equally bigoted and against all peoples of differennt faiths races etc like your typical sad little bedroom warrior - hence why the topic of hijabis and this crime in america has been dragged off topic. Like you say slime exists all around, you have just stepped in some entering into a conversation with him.
(edited 11 years ago)
regardless, why is the fat arab guy on the left allowed to wear beach shorts and muslim women a full "burqini" to walk on the beach?

I would guess that they would not be able to swim comfitabley in that get-up, which is effectively my point.

Don't knock it till you've tried it, you have no point, just an assumption.

Well according to islam he should have his shorts longer and up to his navel, but hey who know's if the random arab in the shot is even a muslim :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Chloe xxx
Being brought up a devout Catholic (Im not anymore, but I acknowledge the existance and crucification of Jesus), I was always taught Jesus loves everyone, as does God and he forgives all sins. Even gay people, and that everyone is equal. Guess thats why I'm so 'immoral', because I was always told this. I would go to confession and my 'sins' would be forgiven.

This opinion caused conflict within the family, when my dad told my mum, after she commented she hoped she was rotting in hell, that Myra Hindley would have gone to heaven because she had repented her sins to God before she died.

My mum was disgusted at this proposition, lol.

1) Hundreds of years before Jesus, according to the Mithraic religion, three Wise Men of Persia came to visit the baby savior-god Mithra, bring him gifts of gold, myrrh and frankincense.
2) Mithra was born on December 25 as told in the “Great Religions of the World”, page 330; “…it was the winter solstice celebrated by ancients as the birthday of Mithraism’s sun god”.
3) According to Mithraism, before Mithra died on a cross, he celebrated a “Last Supper with his twelve disciples, who represented the twelve signs of the zodiac.
6) Mithra ascended into heaven during the spring (Passover) equinox (the time when the sun crosses the equator making night and day of equal length).

Yep, mithra loved hoes, he was a big pimp...

God has forgiven prostitutes before, although you have to regocnise what you have done is wrong and repent, because no one died for your sins, not even the anti-christ mithra.
Mithra was born of a virgin on December 25th.

He was considered a great traveling teacher and master.

He had 12 companions

He performed miracles.

He died and was buried in a tomb only to be resurrected after three days.

His resurrection was celebrated every year.

Mithra was called "the Good Shepherd."

He was considered "the Way, the Truth and the Light, the Redeemer, the Savior, the Messiah."

He was identified with both the Lion and the Lamb.

His sacred day was Sunday.

Mithra had his principal festival on what was later to become Easter, at which time he was resurrected.

His religion had a Eucharist or "Lord's Supper.".........ect, ect, ect.

I know about the stoires of Mithras and various zoroastrian beleifs, what was the point you were trying to make?
Original post by Elipsis
I know you realise this already but you aren't dealing with Christians here, you're dealing with Muslims. They will judge you and judge you and judge you for saying this. You have lost all respect in their eyes, just like you would have lost all respect in Mo Mo's eyes. In fact he probably would have you killed, because he's such a nice guy. He is no Jesus who would have washed your feet and forgiven you, that's for sure.

This is why Islamic countries are the way they are, and Christian countries are the way they are. I am so glad we live in a country where we get the choice on who to worship, or not worship. There is a reason most Muslim countries, despite claiming they are just the next permeatation of Christianity, don't allow the bible - because they would all become Christian. We here in the West can stand up to Islamic conversion because only the stupid or foolish do it, whereas it would totally wipe out Islam in a few decades if it were allowed to proliferate there.

Yep, mithra loved hoes, he was a big pimp..

God will forgive prostitutes, as long as they repent, because the anti-christ mithra didn't die on the cross for any ones sins, we are all accountable for our actions.

I know about the stoires of Mithras and various zoroastrian beleifs, what was the point you were trying to make?

christian jesus = mithra.
Original post by translucent
Don't knock it till you've tried it, you have no point, just an assumption.

Well according to islam he should have his shorts longer and up to his navel, but hey who know's if the random arab in the shot is even a muslim :tongue:

what, try swimming in a burkha? no thanks, i would doubt it would be possibel, hence why those muslim women were just walking not swimming. Still seems silly just to meet some contrived islmaic sensibility about what is accpetbale clothing and what is not no? thats not asumption, it s an observation
It's just a big game of hide and seek.
christian jesus = mithra.

So what, didnt we already know the stories and characters in the old testament, bible (and therefore the quran) were simply a derivation of zoastrian and arameic religious stories? whats your point man?
So what, didnt we already know the stories and characters in the old testament, bible (and therefore the quran) were simply a derivation of zoastrian and arameic religious stories? whats your point man?

No, mithra is not connected to the old testament...

Zoastrians is a monotheistic religion, so the prophet of that religion could well have been a prophet of god (more than likely)..

Latest