The Student Room Group

What It's Like To Have A Family Member Who Is Overweight...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
my dad is overweight, probably because he drinks too much beer and doesnt go to the gym. I found him one on the way home from his job but he refuses to go - some people you just cant help.
Original post by almasy
pretty damn difficult to get fat on low fat food

i eat over 10000 calories a day of low fat stuff (fruit) and i still aint putting on much weight (i'm trying my hardest too, some guys giving a 10grand prize to anyone who can prove they got fat on fruit, its proving damn near impossible)

unless she's somehow packing in more food than me which is doubtful of 99% of the population of the world, then she didn't get fat without eating fatty stuff.

Utter balls. 10,000 cals a day would see you gain A LOT of weight. 1,000 cals of fat and 1,000 cals of anything else will have exactly the same effect on your weight.
Reply 22
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
My husband is morbidly obese. It's hard, I'm his carer - without me he can't even have a wash or anything. But he's making an effort to lose it which is positive at least.

If you don't mind me asking, does this not bother you?
Original post by >Username<
If you don't mind me asking, does this not bother you?

I'm not sure whether to answer this sarcastically or not lol. It's tempting. Obviously it bothers me, it would bother any sane person!
Both my Mum and my Dad are overweight...my Mum used to weigh 27 stone (believe it or not!), but in one year, she managed to drop 14 stone through Slimming World-- I'm so proud of her.
The only downer is that because she's managed to lose weight, she's VERY controlling over what I eat. I'm a normal healthy weight, but if I gain like, a pound or something, she gets really agitated and starts nagging me that i wouldn't want to be heading to Uni overweight like she was when she was my age.

So...yeah.
Yeah, I get what you mean. My Mum's the opposite she realises her mistake, but now she does all she can. But with her health problems like she has arthritis in her knee and varicose veins it's almost impossible for her to loose weight... I hope everything is okay with your Dad. :smile: I worry a lot in general, bur I've spoke to my Mum about this. And I guess... If something is going to happen, it's going to happen, so there's no point in worrying about it. Plus my Mum manages it well. Thanks for your story though, it's nice to hear.

Something that wouldn't agitate her knee might be swimming? It's so low impact.
Excess weight can be due to a persons metabolism as well as overeating!
This is not always easy to overcome and will normally require a low calorie diet as well as lots of exercise to correct.
If a person in addition has some physical restrictions that prevent exercise its a tough situation!
Reply 27
My mum, aunts and a cousin (mostly mums side, maybe a few aunts on dad's side) are but they aren't obese or noticably bigger. My mum is mostly because of her thyroid, she still works full time, suppose middle aged spread and a lot of them didn't lose the weight they put on being pregnant counts for a lot of them.
Reply 28
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
I'm not sure whether to answer this sarcastically or not lol. It's tempting. Obviously it bothers me, it would bother any sane person!

Sorry, I honestly didn't mean to offend you. I don't know how to explain what I meant... I guess I just wanted to hear other people's opinions. Like my Mum's overweight and it doesn't bother me, as I still love her. It's more other things. That what I meant. Sorry if I offended you. :frown:
Reply 29
Original post by RibenaRockstar
Something that wouldn't agitate her knee might be swimming? It's so low impact.

Ah, she can't swim... Plus she never shows her legs because she has vagarious veins...
Reply 30
Original post by mel_1991
My mum, aunts and a cousin (mostly mums side, maybe a few aunts on dad's side) are but they aren't obese or noticably bigger. My mum is mostly because of her thyroid, she still works full time, suppose middle aged spread and a lot of them didn't lose the weight they put on being pregnant counts for a lot of them.

That's interesting. My Mum is also large because of her thyroid...
My dad is overweight and to be honest it's quite worrying. But sometimes annoying especially considering his health issues. The rest of my family isn't exactly the healthiest but it'd rather my dad lose weight first. The sad thing is, is that he doesn't really care. He'd still eat foods that are bad for him, try eating healthy then stop after a day.

Other than that, it doesn't really bother me. Though it is more difficult eating healthy - but I can manage.
Yeah, I get what you mean. My Mum's the opposite she realises her mistake, but now she does all she can. But with her health problems like she has arthritis in her knee and varicose veins it's almost impossible for her to loose weight... I hope everything is okay with your Dad. :smile: I worry a lot in general, bur I've spoke to my Mum about this. And I guess... If something is going to happen, it's going to happen, so there's no point in worrying about it. Plus my Mum manages it well. Thanks for your story though, it's nice to hear.

My mum (who is medically obese) has just been prescribed exercise and she's getting a swim membership for 12 weeks because of her rheumatoid arthritis in her ankles, knees, hips and fingers. I also have a condition in my knees and a separate one in my hands and we both love swimming together because virtually nothing hurts as long as they weren't hurting too much beforehand. So as long as she can actually swim (my best friend and my nan can't swim) then swimming might be a good option for your mum. Edit: You've said she can't swim and doesn't show her legs. Maybe she can get some sort of costume to cover her legs or wrap herself in a towel/sarong till she gets poolside then get in (nobody can see her legs under the water) and take a course for adults? Just a suggestion.
My dad is also very overweight and won't do anything about it, no matter how often we try to make him. He's started eating healthier because my mum's arthritis has gotten worse so he has to cook for her and it's easier to cook something like spag bol or sweet and sour chicken from scratch than do two ready meals, so that's kind of a start. I keep trying to 'trick' him into exercising, asking him if he'll walk with me to the shop when it's after dark because I'm worried about being attacked because I can't really run away and stuff like that, but he'd usually rather drive than walk the 5 minutes and it annoys me.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by minimarshmallow
My mum (who is medically obese) has just been prescribed exercise and she's getting a swim membership for 12 weeks because of her rheumatoid arthritis in her ankles, knees, hips and fingers. I also have a condition in my knees and a separate one in my hands and we both love swimming together because virtually nothing hurts as long as they weren't hurting too much beforehand. So as long as she can actually swim (my best friend and my nan can't swim) then swimming might be a good option for your mum. Edit: You've said she can't swim and doesn't show her legs. Maybe she can get some sort of costume to cover her legs or wrap herself in a towel/sarong till she gets poolside then get in (nobody can see her legs under the water) and take a course for adults? Just a suggestion.
My dad is also very overweight and won't do anything about it, no matter how often we try to make him. He's started eating healthier because my mum's arthritis has gotten worse so he has to cook for her and it's easier to cook something like spag bol or sweet and sour chicken from scratch than do two ready meals, so that's kind of a start. I keep trying to 'trick' him into exercising, asking him if he'll walk with me to the shop when it's after dark because I'm worried about being attacked because I can't really run away and stuff like that, but he'd usually rather drive than walk the 5 minutes and it annoys me.

My family is very different, as it's only my Mum who is rather large. The swimming idea does sound quite good, however I'm not too sure on my Mum's arthritis like what type it is. In addition to this, she's interested in loosing weight but it hurts when she walks so she's afraid if she walks too much something will happen to her, like it has in the past. And because she has never swam this doesn't interest her, it's also other things like the cost and timing, we are struggling quite a bit with money but in some ways we're not struggling (that makes no sense I know), and she works part time but has literally no time for anything.

I guess it sort of feels like a dead end. I honestly highly doubt the swimming idea will interest my Mum in any way, plus I don't know how to bring it up without it sounding wrong. She's eats healthy, but I guess it's a little too late, because once you have a certain amount of weight it's hard to shift.

I know quite a few people on here have said there parents eat a lot and make no attempt to change there diet, well my Mum is completely different as her diet is okay, but she just finds it hard to exercise...
Ah, she can't swim... Plus she never shows her legs because she has vagarious veins...

She can learn to swim.
I guess it sort of feels like a dead end. I honestly highly doubt the swimming idea will interest my Mum in any way, plus I don't know how to bring it up without it sounding wrong. She's eats healthy, but I guess it's a little too late, because once you have a certain amount of weight it's hard to shift.

I know quite a few people on here have said there parents eat a lot and make no attempt to change there diet, well my Mum is completely different as her diet is okay, but she just finds it hard to exercise...

I know what you mean. Maybe tell her you were looking into her condition online and had heard that hydrotherapy is good for joint pain and maybe you could try and teach her to swim or go to aqua aerobics together for a laugh to at least see if it helps. Or maybe you could bring up something about maybe wanting to be able to swim for when you're on holiday, again with the sarong idea - you don't want her to feel left out if you're off somewhere hot and she has to sit poolside.
Original post by lsaul95
A lot of my family is overweight, it doesn't bother me in the slightest, I love them to bits. I don't notice any of the small things, and If I did I wouldn't mind.

I would never judge anyone based on their lifestyle choices, of course if I thought they were going to get hurt, I'd let them know I was concerned. But if they choose to be overweight and don't want to do anything about it then that's fine with me :smile:

If they're overweight they are going to get hurt and will likely die early. Just FYI.
Sorry, I honestly didn't mean to offend you. I don't know how to explain what I meant... I guess I just wanted to hear other people's opinions. Like my Mum's overweight and it doesn't bother me, as I still love her. It's more other things. That what I meant. Sorry if I offended you. :frown:

You didn't offend me, it just struck me as an odd question.

I still love my husband, obviously, otherwise I wouldn't be with him, but his mobility problems due to his weight (and the fact that I'm the one that has to bathe him, and generally take on the lion's share of the housework and dealing with the children as a result of his mobility problems) bothers me, of course it does.
Reply 38
I don't really know why I'm posting this, I guess I've always wondered if there others in the same position as me.

My Mum is rather "overweight". This doesn't bother me (but you're probably thinking it does bother me otherwise I wouldn't be writing this) because she's my Mum and that's how I see her.

A lot of people think people who are large don't work and claim benefits. This isn't true. My Mum has a job and always has had a job and we don't claim benefits.

I don't really know what others are going to think of this post. It's just small things... Like when we go on holiday the taxi has to be low so my Mum can climb in it. And when we go to the cinema's we sit in the middle rather than the top. It's nothing major.

She does try to loose weight, but it's not as simple as that. She doesn't eat any fatty foods but in the past before I was born she did... But now with the amount of tablets she takes, it's almost impossible for her to loose weight.

I don't know if anyone will read this, but if you can relate to this in any way, feel free to reply.

Thanks.

Cool story bro. What's your point?
Original post by briesandwich

Everyone on my Dad's side of the family are overweight, it only bothers me when it begins to severely effect their health.

Same! My grandad on my dad's side is overweight, he's in his late 70s yet still eats high fatty meals etc, he does have health problems now because of it. He's also one of those people who continues to eat food even when they're full. When my nan was still around together they used to make hugeee meals whenever we visited them, the table would literally be piled with food. I remember being about 7 and telling them I was full and I was treated horribly afterwards. Even now, when I eat something and leave some on my plate he starts instructing me to eat it and even mentioned to my dad that I may have an eating disorder.
Original post by chickenonsteroids
My dad is overweight and to be honest it's quite worrying. But sometimes annoying especially considering his health issues. The rest of my family isn't exactly the healthiest but it'd rather my dad lose weight first. The sad thing is, is that he doesn't really care. He'd still eat foods that are bad for him, try eating healthy then stop after a day.

Other than that, it doesn't really bother me. Though it is more difficult eating healthy - but I can manage.

My dad's obese but he doesn't look it at all. I've tried to get him to eat healthier and he won't. For breakfast he has like 3 different cereals mixed together with milk, then he'll have some toast and jam, then he has mcdonald's for lunch, chocolate, comes home eats soup with 4 slices of bread, more chocolate, a whole pizza. He doesn't see anything wrong with his diet. Last christmas it was embarrassing, he ate so much he sat on the sofa for the rest of the day and couldn't move off it. I really want him to eat healthier. He's lost a bit of weight since last year, about 7lbs, so I suppose it's an improvement.

Quick Reply

Latest