The Student Room Group

Why is Psychology on the 'B list'

I'm not sure what the criteria of the Cambridge list is, but why is Psychology on the 'B' list.

So far arguments I've come across..

1. It's easier than most subjects.
Well, if this counts for anything.. In the January exams Psychology had the lowest pass rate, yet I almost had an A missing out a fifth of the paper so obviously we were taught right. I also find it way harder than my A list subjects History and English Literature.

2. It's not traditional
I don't even see why this matters?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Miracle Day
I'm not sure what the criteria of the Cambridge list is, but why is Psychology on the 'B' list.

Well, if this counts for anything.. In the January exams Psychology had the lowest pass rate, yet I almost had an A missing out a fifth of the paper so obviously we were taught right. I also find it way harder than my A list subjects History and English Literature.

2. It's not traditional

Because Cambridge doesn't see it as adequate preparation for some of its degree courses compared with subjects in the A1 and A2 lists. That's not to say you shouldn't take Psychology, but subjects such as Latin and Chemistry are "worth more".

In response to:

1. Further Maths apparently has the highest A% rate of all subjects. Does it make it the easiest subject? No. Also, just because you found it the hardest out of all your subjects, doesn't mean it's adequate preparation for Cambridge. By that logic, if people found Media Studies hard, Media Studies should be in the A2 list.

2. Err, because Cambridge's courses are traditional in nature; especially considering its history?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by im so academic
Because Cambridge doesn't see it as adequate preparation for some of its degree courses compared with subjects in the A1 and A2 lists. That's not to say you shouldn't take Psychology, but subjects such as Latin and Chemistry are "worth more".

I've already taken Psychology. But it sucks to see "two traditional subjects" etc on the Unis I want to apply for when I won't do well in Lit.
I've already taken Psychology. But it sucks to see "two traditional subjects" etc on the Unis I want to apply for when I won't do well in Lit.

Are you only taking 3 subjects at AS? Alternatively, do well in Lit. :unimpressed:
Reply 4
Are you only taking 3 subjects at AS? Alternatively, do well in Lit. :unimpressed:

No, I have Sociology but can see why it's on a B list.

Ermmm.. easier said than done with English.
Reply 5

2. It's not traditional

I can't comment on how easy it is as a subject, but I would say that the fact its not traditional puts it on the 'B' list because the vast majority of universities which will be worrying about A and B lists are traditional universities who grew up with and agree with traditional subjects. It's not really fair on psychology as a subject, but there we go. Traditionalists will be traditionalists.

Another argument which I haven't actually heard, but could be true, is that what you learn and the skills used are quite specific to psychology as opposed to English literature where you're learning to analyse a text and show that you can think about things in different ways as well as create strong arguments and history where you are doing your own research for your coursework? So the skills are more transferable and applicable to humanities degrees? Although when I say this, my only knowledge of psychology is of anecdotes from friends. It may be completely untrue.

However, I'm sure that it's not totally blacklisted or anything, is it? Because I thought of taking it for A level and I googled it and I'm sure Oxbridge accept it and it's becoming more accepted as a strong A level as well as being the most popular A level for girls? Though this may not have been true in reality, I suppose, just in the view of psychology teachers, maybe.

Edit: Just re-read your post, and even if it's on the 'B' list, you're still allowed one and have a good chance of getting in, no?
(edited 11 years ago)
No, I have Sociology but can see why it's on a B list.

Ermmm.. easier said than done with English.

History, English Literature, Psychology and Sociology - I see your problem.

In all honesty, if you're asking about Cambridge and you say you're not going to do well in English Literature, perhaps Cambridge is not for you?

As you have two traditional subjects it won't be a problem for you really ... Maybe one of the reasons it's on the B list is the material you cover is unhelpful in terms of preparing you for a degree specifically at Cambridge? There isn't a straight psychology course, and experimental psych in NatSci is very sciencey (obvs) and then the psych in the HSPS/PPSIS Tripos is different again? Just a theory though.
Reply 8
History, English Literature, Psychology and Sociology - I see your problem.

In all honesty, if you're asking about Cambridge and you say you're not going to do well in English Literature, perhaps Cambridge is not for you?

I'm not asking for Cambridge. But people seem to follow that on TSR. Hell even other Universities ask for 'Traditional subjects' on their requirements etc.
Reply 9
Original post by milienhaus
As you have two traditional subjects it won't be a problem for you really ... Maybe one of the reasons it's on the B list is the material you cover is unhelpful in terms of preparing you for a degree specifically at Cambridge? There isn't a straight psychology course, and experimental psych in NatSci is very sciencey (obvs) and then the psych in the HSPS/PPSIS Tripos is different again? Just a theory though.

Damn that sucks :frown:

Well, say if my offer was AAA which Cardiff offers for Law, just for example, I need two traditional subjects. I doubt I'll be able to get an A in English Literature, I know I can get a B, but I know I can get As in the other three so it's frustrating :s-smilie:
Damn that sucks :frown:

Well, say if my offer was AAA which Cardiff offers for Law, just for example, I need two traditional subjects. I doubt I'll be able to get an A in English Literature, I know I can get a B, but I know I can get As in the other three so it's frustrating :s-smilie:

Well, do you have to drop one? A lot of people at my school did (at least) four full A-levels, it is manageable. Then if you got AAAB you'd be fine? It depends if you mean Cardiff want two traditional subjects in order to give you an offer or if the offer will actually be on two traditional subjects, if that makes sense.
Because they're rock-racist.
Reply 12
Original post by fishfan01
Another argument which I haven't actually heard, but could be true, is that what you learn and the skills used are quite specific to psychology as opposed to English literature where you're learning to analyse a text and show that you can think about things in different ways as well as create strong arguments and history where you are doing your own research for your coursework? So the skills are more transferable and applicable to humanities degrees? Although when I say this, my only knowledge of psychology is of anecdotes from friends. It may be completely untrue.

I'm in my third year of a psychology degree and we have had to do MANY literature reviews where we have to analyse dozens of journals, bring together what they found, their advs/disadvs in regard to their research and propse ideas for future research so this part of your argument against psychology doesn't really stand here I'm afraid. Granted a lot of what has been covered so far is very scientific but many of the modules cover behaviour which is applicable to the outside world, especially for managerial positions and hr.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by VictorDeLost
Perhaps this isn't for you to judge.

It's just a consideration, I hardly said "Cambridge isn't for you" did I?
Reply 15
Psychology is my worst A Level. I find it more challenging than maths (despite being an essay writing person) the sheer amount of crap you have to learn is ridiculous, the exam technique is difficult to grasp fully.. It's just a nightmare. And I'm sure anyone who does OCR A2 psychology will agree. In fact, it should really be called A Level Research Methods and be classed as one of the hardest A Levels you can do.

Sorry, full day of revision and hence late night ranting :sigh: But seriously, anyone who comes up to me and tells me psychology is easy will be rendered infertile :rant:
It's just a consideration, I hardly said "Cambridge isn't for you" did I?

You know **** all about grammar: just because you add a question mark, doesn't make it a question.
Reply 17
Its relativly easy compared to Maths, Physics, Languages, History etc. Also its a wannabe science.
Reply 18
It has an outdated stigma with the oldies/traditionalists that it's for girls who weren't bright enough to do three sciences and maths (and get in to do medicine). However courses/content/exams change but the views of those pulling the strings do not.

<3 x
Reply 19
Original post by LeeM1
Its relativly easy compared to Maths, Physics, Languages, History etc. Also its a wannabe science.

Just lol..

Quick Reply

Latest