The Student Room Group

'Oh yeah, I have OCD' - No! You don't!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Just no!

saying that you are OCD about something isn't saying OMG I TOTALLY HAVE OCD. And even if they did say that, more often than not they don't mea literally. Its a phrase people use, like if you said 'I swear I'm going to throw that out the window if it makes that noise again'. Obviously, you aren't going to throw it out the window.

If people try and claim that they seriously have OCD when they clearly don't, then its anoying. Same way its annoying when people who are bad at spelling claim they are dyslexic, or people who are having a down day claim they are clinically depressed, or people stop eating in front of their friends to make them belive they are anorexic (but eat when noone is watching)
Original post by rachaelizabeth
People that use this phrase light-heartedly make me rage!

That's ridiculous I'm afraid...
Original post by dudleyian
That's ridiculous I'm afraid...

Ok.

It's a disorder, though. A full blown illness in some cases. So pretending or saying that you have it or even implying that you do without a proper diagnosis is a bit ridiculous.

Though I do think that's it's a misunderstanding more than anything else. OCD is a mental illness that's pushed under the carpet a little bit. Most people have heard of it, but don't understand what it actually is, and don't realise that it can be very serious.

EDIT: I'm not talking about when people say that they are "OCD" about a particular thing. As mentioned earlier in the thread, everyone has their quirks. I'm talking about when people actually say, repeatedly, that they have OCD, implying that they have been diagnosed with the clinical version of the illness, when in reality they haven't.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by kate1212
Recently I have been getting more and more annoyed with people who run around making a huge vocal deal of turning plug switches off, or straightening wonky pictures because of their 'OCD'.
For the most part, these people do not have OCD, nor understand what it is to have one. OCD, generally means obsessive thoughts or worries that a sufferer tries to deal with via compulsions (ie: hand washing or repeating actions). This is not the same as preferring even to odd numbers, disliking unused plugs being switched on nor as wanting to keep your hands clean.

Actually, I have to disagree with you there, all those actions are symptoms of that spectrum of neurotic disorders and OCD, and they are clinically accepted as plausible manifestations of OCD.

However, I do agree with you on the rest of it. Far too many people, try to label themselves with the notion of OCD, with the perception that it somehow makes them quirky and in doing so, they accentuate any mildly odd habits they have around other people and even make up OCD-like habits and make a point of going "Did you know, I have OCD?" to others in conversation, when the reality is people with good-going OCD, often don't mention that they have it, because they either aren't aware of what they are doing, in denial of what they are doing, embarrassed or ashamed of their OCD tendencies, and they shy away from others. They often have issues with depression and anxiety, because of their difficulty in fitting in with people by trying to hid their OCD and issues of bullying/alienation that can ensue when people notice their odd behaviours.

I remember a guy from school who had it. He was a couple years older than I was and I wasn't friends with him, but I felt sorry for him in the sense that he always felt unclean. His OCD didn't stop at him washing his hands, but usually resulted in him having a shower and the worst thing about his situation was that he would have a shower and get changed back into his uniform and idiots would shout something like "Hey, you stink! I think you need another shower." and he'd be compelled to go back and do it again to the point that he'd be late for lessons, lunch and afternoon games.

Knowing what he went through and what he struggled with, I think people need to think about what they are saying before they blurt out that they are "a bit OCD". You either have it or you don't and if you do, most people find it a hinderance in their daily lives.
Click, click click click.

Hi OP, I have OCD :wavey: Come and be my friend!

Spoiler

:lol: some of my friends say they have OCD. They say I should check if I have OCD just because I like to push down the things on a Mcdonalds drink top and get pretty mad/upset if someone else does it or one splits :lol: oh and because I think whether I have done something or not and if I don't check I constantly think about it until I do :lol: I have a tingle in my spine if I don't check :L pfft no I don't have OCD.
Reply 46
I think as has already been said that when a lot of people say, 'I'm so OCD' they mean it more in a trivial sense and are not genuinely declaring they suffer from this often devastating illness.

I have, in the past, suffered from severe bouts of OCD but have to disagree with you on the idea of OCD not varying on a day-to-day basis. Certainly, I have found that whilst my OCD will not change on a daily basis, I certainly have worse and better periods. For example, when under extreme stress, OCD will usually become worse. Sufferers may find they feel OK for a few months and then life becomes more stressful and the compulsions begin again.

Personally, I'm in two minds about people casually saying they have OCD. On the one hand, I do know what you mean and sometimes it can feel like people are making fun of a serious condition. However, it always draws attention to what was once a barely heard of condition and anything which encourages people to discuss mental health or make others aware of it it a good thing. Take this thread for example, people are now discussing OCD. Honestly, I don't think people are intentionally trying to be offensive.

Final point: every joke has an element of truth. Perhaps some people do genuinley feel they have the condition and are broaching it light-heartedly to see how people react. Also, most OCD sufferers will hide most of the behaviour/suffer a constant battle in their head. OCD comes in different severities. Mine is (was?) extreme but others will only have a very mild version...

Oh also, anyone suffering OCD who needs someone to talk to can feel free to PM me. I know just how isolating it can be, you are not going mad and things will improve. It is difficult but not impossible to get better.

ANYWAYS, that's my thoughts on the topic. Good thread OP
Reply 47
:lolwut:

Why do you care exactly?
And you do realise those people do not mean it literally.

People often say "so and so is crazy". They don't mean that they are mentally ill.

What would you say if I started a thread along the lines of:
"I'm sick of people saying 'I'm so crazy' or 'she is so crazy', just because they are erratic/hyper/unpredictable. I occasionally say random words for no apparent reason - everyone has their own little odd behaviours. This is NOT mental illness.
I've been getting more and more annoyed about it lately. They're doing it for attention. They don't know what it's like to be truly insane."
Reply 48
Psychiatric disorders are very difficult to diagnose. Most of them are perfectly normal traits, like liking things organised, that occur on a sliding scale of severity. So everyone "has" OCD. The only time it's a "problem" is when the individual considers it a problem. So for two people with the same amount of obsession, one may have OCD and the other will not, because for one person they've had disruption and for the other they haven't.

But yes, people who say "I have OCD" normally don't actually, because if it was a problem they'd be seeking medical help of some kind.
Original post by cpdavis
For somebody who did suffer quite bad OCD (and when I say bad, it really took over my life) it really annoys me when people make a big song and dance out of it. There were points when I couldn't sleep because of locks not being done, having to redo essays because the wrong colour was on the page, I even had a panic attack during one of my rehearsals (I left the room so I didn't cause a scene) over something that I would be really obsessive with. Counselling for nearly a year really did help this, however I do occasionally have relapses. So I was out the other day and I heard someone say "I'm really OCD about things like this" when it was clear that the person said it to get the groups attention. It honestly annoys me :sigh:

I know what you mean. I didn't even know I had OCD until it was observed by staff whilst I was in hospital.

I have problems with essays too, but not when they have the wrong colour present on the page, it's to do with words and the number of times i'm allowed to use them. For example, I wouldn't be able to continue with an essay if I weren't able to think of a different connective. I would literally search for hours sometimes for a substitute. You can imagine, this can be rather disruptive if I had to write a 20 page report.

It annoys the hell out of me, when people claim to have OCD, which trivialises the disorder.
"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view- until you climb into his skin and walk around in it. "
In this context, maybe they have felt neglected or invisible in their lives, so they strive for attention, and the only way they can get this attention is through saying they have an illness, which they may have but in milder forms -or not at all.
This doesn't excuse them, for in some cases lying or demeaning the severity of this problem, but perhaps we should step back and think, maybe they just want to be cared about? And not over looked.
Tolerance anyone?
Original post by ChunkyFudgeLover101
"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view- until you climb into his skin and walk around in it. "
In this context, maybe they have felt neglected or invisible in their lives, so they strive for attention, and the only way they can get this attention is through saying they have an illness, which they may have but in milder forms -or not at all.
This doesn't excuse them, for in some cases lying or demeaning the severity of this problem, but perhaps we should step back and think, maybe they just want to be cared about? And not over looked.
Tolerance anyone?

I never thought of it in that respect - it's a nice optimisitic view.
Reply 52
Original post by kate1212
Recently I have been getting more and more annoyed with people who run around making a huge vocal deal of turning plug switches off, or straightening wonky pictures because of their 'OCD'.
For the most part, these people do not have OCD, nor understand what it is to have one. OCD, generally means obsessive thoughts or worries that a sufferer tries to deal with via compulsions (ie: hand washing or repeating actions). This is not the same as preferring even to odd numbers, disliking unused plugs being switched on nor as wanting to keep your hands clean.
These people are saying it for attention, with little understanding that true OCD can ruin a person's life. People with OCD rarely attract so much attention to it nor see it so light-heartedly. Nor does their 'OCD' come and go depending on how much attention they want that day.
Yes, everybody has their own quirks. I really don't like it if an album on my ipod doesn't have album artwork and I used to be really particular about the books on my desk being all lined up. That is NOT full blown OCD.
Does anybody agree? Or even notice this happening?

You're right. OCD is a very serious illness. However people can have personality traits which put them on the obsessive side of the sliding scale. Not the same thing as full blown OCD of course but I suppose they hear bits from the illness that sounds like some of their own traits and use the term. I haven't met anyone myself or noticed a big rise in this though. I agree that OCD is a complaint most sufferers try to hide and are reluctant to mention or talk about.

:smile:
Original post by suicidaloverbusiness
I never thought of it in that respect - it's a nice optimisitic view.

:smile:, why thank you, I'm trying happy thoughts. Everything makes me sad,( intolerance here) so if we flip over the bad parts and make it good- then no more sadness.
When people say "I'm a bit OCD", they use it in a similar way to when they say "I'm feeling depressed atm". In other words, it's hyperbole, and if you said "You're exaggerating a little, aren't you?", they would say "Yes". I'm pretty confident most people who say these things don't actually mean they have a serious mental condition, they are simply exaggerating for effect. When I say "When's dinner? I'm starving" I don't mean it literally. I would have hoped this was obvious. People really need to get used to hyperbole being used in conversation and stop taking everything so literally.
Reply 55
I know what you mean. I didn't even know I had OCD until it was observed by staff whilst I was in hospital.

I have problems with essays too, but not when they have the wrong colour present on the page, it's to do with words and the number of times i'm allowed to use them. For example, I wouldn't be able to continue with an essay if I weren't able to think of a different connective. I would literally search for hours sometimes for a substitute. You can imagine, this can be rather disruptive if I had to write a 20 page report.

It annoys the hell out of me, when people claim to have OCD, which trivialises the disorder.

I'm really interested to know what this experience is like. You say you didn't notice it yourself so I assume that it didn't have a strong emotion associated with it that you recognised? I mean when you're writing your essays/reports and you get to a connective what happens? Do you feel panicky or frozen or what? Is it actually a thought in your head that stops you or a sensation/emotion. Or do you start doing the stuff and then notice afterwards what you've been doing? I'm sorry to be nosy and please don't answer if you don't want to. Its just I've never heard anyone explain how it actually feels/works for them.

Many thanks if you have the time to reply!

Original post by catoswyn
I'm really interested to know what this experience is like. You say you didn't notice it yourself so I assume that it didn't have a strong emotion associated with it that you recognised? I mean when you're writing your essays/reports and you get to a connective what happens? Do you feel panicky or frozen or what? Is it actually a thought in your head that stops you or a sensation/emotion. Or do you start doing the stuff and then notice afterwards what you've been doing? I'm sorry to be nosy and please don't answer if you don't want to. Its just I've never heard anyone explain how it actually feels/works for them.

Many thanks if you have the time to reply!

I didn't notice it because I thought it was just normal. When I was younger, the most prominent aspect was the obsession with cleanliness and the numbers 2, 4, 8 and 9 (but, 9, came later on for some reason as I despised odd numbers at first, I thought they were evil, I still do to an extent). By younger, I mean 5 years old. I still spend up to 4 hours having a bath or a shower. I guess, given that I had these routines for such a long time, they became the norm. Although, I never knew that the disruptive thought processes were in correlation to the compulsions. I thought it was just from being a teenager.

The compulsions with the essay writing started to manifest in year 8 probably, so five years ago. When I come across a word I can't repeat, I can't just carry on because I feel like that one, unchanged, word, will cause something bad to happen. For example, i'll relapse and go back into hospital or something bad will happen to my baby sister. I know it's all very irrational, but that doesn't stop the thoughts and the subsequent compulsions. It's actually very scary.
Original post by notastampcollector
When people say "I'm a bit OCD", they use it in a similar way to when they say "I'm feeling depressed atm". In other words, it's hyperbole, and if you said "You're exaggerating a little, aren't you?", they would say "Yes". I'm pretty confident most people who say these things don't actually mean they have a serious mental condition, they are simply exaggerating for effect. When I say "When's dinner? I'm starving" I don't mean it literally. I would have hoped this was obvious. People really need to get used to hyperbole being used in conversation and stop taking everything so literally.

Oh, that's a fair point. I suppose, it just unintentionally offends those that have been through a potentially traumatic experience.
Original post by ChunkyFudgeLover101
:smile:, why thank you, I'm trying happy thoughts. Everything makes me sad,( intolerance here) so if we flip over the bad parts and make it good- then no more sadness.

You're welcome, my good lady. :biggrin:
Reply 59
I didn't notice it because I thought it was just normal. When I was younger, the most prominent aspect was the obsession with cleanliness and the numbers 2, 4, 8 and 9 (but, 9, came later on for some reason as I despised odd numbers at first, I thought they were evil, I still do to an extent). By younger, I mean 5 years old. I still spend up to 4 hours having a bath or a shower. I guess, given that I had these routines for such a long time, they became the norm. Although, I never knew that the disruptive thought processes were in correlation to the compulsions. I thought it was just from being a teenager.

The compulsions with the essay writing started to manifest in year 8 probably, so five years ago. When I come across a word I can't repeat, I can't just carry on because I feel like that one, unchanged, word, will cause something bad to happen. For example, i'll relapse and go back into hospital or something bad will happen to my baby sister. I know it's all very irrational, but that doesn't stop the thoughts and the subsequent compulsions. It's actually very scary.

It does sound very scary. Thank you for explaining the experience. It is interesting that it is so overwhelming. It almost sounds as if it starts in the instinctive part of the brain in that you know its irrational logically but that it is of no use when all the other signals inside you are telling you otherwise. I have never had this experience except it reminds me a little of phobias like although I know the spider cannot hurt me I cannot help my reaction to it or, for me, heights where everything shuts down and I just am the experience of fear. To have that kind of experience occur everyday over all sorts of things must be very difficult. No wonder people develop means of coping with it and rituals, even if the means of coping can become problems themselves. I never knew either that it could start so young.

Thank you again for telling me your experience.

Quick Reply

Latest