Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Neg rep?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LETSJaM)
    And someone with loads of green bars is saintly???

<3 x

nah, they just spend loads of time on threads trading rep with people who think like them. If you speak your mind on tsr, you will never get strings of green gems. Jsut stick to the obvious, non-commital non- contraversial subjects if green gems are your ultimate aim in life.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pony Jack)
    *talk properly.

You demonstrably don't. Most people couldn't give a twit about rep, it's quite depressing that you do.
    I am trying to write as I talk, to sound less formal.

I am simply not used to 'rep'. I presumed, mistakenly, that it meant I was offending others, not that they disagreed with me.

I was bothered, admittedly, but that doesn't make me shallow in any way. I hate the thought of offending people, clearly you don't!

(Original post by jamboogy)
    Don't feel like you have to restrict what you say. Just say whatever you want, you're entitled to your own opinion. Remember, TSR should be a form of relaxation for you and anyone else, well it is for me.

Bacon. I love bacon. In fact, I had bacon with my eggs and toast this morning.
    Smoked bacon and HP brown sauce butties & I'm happy, cheers!

(Original post by BenjyK)
    They just disagree with you, thats the real world for ya, not everyone agrees.
    Seriously dont get how anyone can be bothered by it, to the point of even moderating their own posts, so what if someone doesnt like what you've written, man up, thats life.
    Thanks I know people don't always agree with me, it would be a very boring world if they did :lol:

As I have said, I wasn't aware it was for this reason. I'm happy enough now I know otherwise
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Id and Ego seek)
    I love how this is posted in the 'Mature Students' forum.
    I am not immature by any means. I wanted to know how I have offended people & what I can do to prevent it happening again.

I am new to the forum & misinterpreted the use of reps.

How is this seen as immature? If I couldn't give a shiny that people liked me or hated me or if I was offending people then would I be classed as mature?
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweetiepie82)
    Not sure what I keep saying to get negative rep, I've had loads!! :eek:

I may 'talk' a bit proper but I promise I'm actually nice & genuinely want to help people Not sure I actually like seeing who gives them either, it's quite depressing!!

I am genuinely trying to help, I am not even that well spoken verbally; I am actually quite scouse, but I don't know how to write other than the way I do. So, anyway, I'm sorry if I am offending anyone, I'm on here to meet others who are like me & to join in the community. I also know that I can be opinionated at times, but I never force my opinions on people.

Really shocked & very gutted that I am coming across badly, I am totally excited by this forum; I feel relieved that others are experiencing all that I am & I really enjoy & feel inspired by everyone's stories.

Maybe someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong so I can work on it? I really have no idea
    Someone will always hate what you have to say no matter how truthful, funny, correct, or friendly it is. Just look at my rep :rofl:
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimbo1234)
    Someone will always hate what you have to say no matter how truthful, funny, correct, or friendly it is. Just look at my rep :rofl:
    You know what they say...

• 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just checked your posts to see why you mightve been negged.

Only 2 of your posts have ever been negged and then only 1 neg on each.

In what way is that loads of neg?
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I-Am-A-Tripod)
    nah, they just spend loads of time on threads trading rep with people who think like them. If you speak your mind on tsr, you will never get strings of green gems. Jsut stick to the obvious, non-commital non- contraversial subjects if green gems are your ultimate aim in life.
    I know. I'm redded myself. But there is this wonderful thing called sarcasm, you might have heard of it....

<3 x
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    x
    I'll give you one tip, if you want to keep positive rep and that is this:

If you start getting negged for something, never edit your post and say "What do manz!? Why the neg for this, my argewment is SOUND"

Just keep quiet and say nothing.

If you start moaning or even mentioning neg rep people will neg you for saying anything about it. I'm serious.
    • 52 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambo211)
    Just checked your posts to see why you mightve been negged.

Only 2 of your posts have ever been negged and then only 1 neg on each.

In what way is that loads of neg?
    ^^This, you have very little neg at all OP. Ironically you've got most of your negs for asking about negs you don't have in the first place.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LETSJaM)
    And someone with loads of green bars is saintly???

<3 x
    I don't think it works the other way around - some of the mods who have stacks of rep come across as total imbeciles.

I think the system has its place, especially in the information context. On a forum where people often ask for advice I think it's handy. For example, the common questions about "Is x course at y university any good?" can give very variable answers - but if the person replying has 3 or more red bars, that's a good indication that you should probably disregard what they tell you. If the rep system works as I think it does, to get 3 or more red bars must be quite some achievement, and that person has worked consistently hard to say dumb things, i.e. people with strong political views will often have their -ve rep balanced out to some extent by those that approve of their views, but people who just say stupid things won't.

The main reason I think that high +ve scores are total nonsense are if you look at the very high scoring posts. Never mind the sarcastic or clowning posts - the ones with silly scores like +150 are all the weight loss ones.

On the other hand, you're right about the social/political threads. The fastest way to lose rep is certainly to hold strong opinions about religion or politics.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Y__)
    You mostly get positive rep from making sarcastic comments, being vaguely funny/witty or just agreeing with the most popular opinion. On the other hand, people like to use negative reputation on people whose opinion they disagree with, no matter how well you argued your point or how politely you got it across.
    ^^^ This.

The current rep system does not encourage independent thought and serious discussion, to say the least. It's clear that neg repping also generates a lot of bad blood.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I got a neg rep for saying that I got two offers for medicine both of which I'd put down as my final choices.

Bitter lil idiots just had to hate me there :/
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    All I can say is: look at the members with very -ve rep. 01tiong or ajtiesto for example - then look at the kind of threads they start and posts they make. Most of it is complete gibberish, but some of it is lucid enough that they could bait people into engaging into debate with them or possibly even take some advice from them. In these cases, the rep system is a good indication that they are complete tools.

Although, I'm not saying that people with +ve rep give good advice. Just that people with very high -ve rep cannot usually be relied upon.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    It also seems to be the case that complaining about the rep system is most likely to tick off those who get the most advantage of the current system, e.g. those with loads of green gems obtained by parroting popular opinions and posting sarcastic/vaguely jokey comments on otherwise serious threads. When someone like that reads a criticism of the rep system, their response is to hit the thumbs down, knocking 30 or so points off whoever questions it. They learn there is a penalty to asking such questions, and thus the status quo is maintained. Similarly, exercising well thought-out independent thinking backed up by solid argument is also frowned upon, when it does not align with the most popular opinions, since the neg rep system is often used in lieu of an actual reasoned response when someone disagrees. The problem is that "popular" does not necessarily mean "right".

For someone seeking that array of green gems, the best advice would be to never speak your mind, pander to majority opinion, make silly jokes instead of serious input (including on otherwise serious threads), keep posts dumbed down, and form partisan alliances with those who also have big numbers of gems for the purposes of circle repping (as far as the current system allows).
    • 90 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clip)
    I don't think it works the other way around - some of the mods who have stacks of rep come across as total imbeciles.

I think the system has its place, especially in the information context. On a forum where people often ask for advice I think it's handy. For example, the common questions about "Is x course at y university any good?" can give very variable answers - but if the person replying has 3 or more red bars, that's a good indication that you should probably disregard what they tell you. If the rep system works as I think it does, to get 3 or more red bars must be quite some achievement, and that person has worked consistently hard to say dumb things, i.e. people with strong political views will often have their -ve rep balanced out to some extent by those that approve of their views, but people who just say stupid things won't.

The main reason I think that high +ve scores are total nonsense are if you look at the very high scoring posts. Never mind the sarcastic or clowning posts - the ones with silly scores like +150 are all the weight loss ones.

On the other hand, you're right about the social/political threads. The fastest way to lose rep is certainly to hold strong opinions about religion or politics.
    Tbh, I once got about 16 neg reps in one post in a music thread for replying that Kanye West is the best rapper :rofl: (I also got about 14 pos reps for that post, so that balanced it a little). In fact, I often get negged for my music tastes, since being a fan of pop music is rather frowned upon by many snobs on this site :rolleyes:. People will neg others for having an opinion whether it's actually offensive or not. Not sure what's the point in negging non-offensive opinions, but here you go, that's people being weird for you.

But I do agree that in advice thread, rep can be pretty useful there :yep:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you care about an ''online rep'' then you are an idiot and deserve execution by shotgun squad.

JOKING before someone attributes my comments to my religion,

but yeah its pretty sad caring about it..
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXxiKillxXx)
    If you care about an ''online rep'' then you are an idiot and deserve execution by shotgun squad.

JOKING before someone attributes my comments to my religion,

but yeah its pretty sad caring about it..
    ^^^^^

But (as you can see from yesterday's posts), at this point I no longer care. So this post is absolutely pointless :rolleyes:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I have a habbit of negging anyone who has a pos:neg ratio of around 10:0 because it kinda balances out the universe, not because it was a crap post.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mequa)
    It also seems to be the case that complaining about the rep system is most likely to tick off those who get the most advantage of the current system, e.g. those with loads of green gems obtained by parroting popular opinions and posting sarcastic/vaguely jokey comments on otherwise serious threads. When someone like that reads a criticism of the rep system, their response is to hit the thumbs down, knocking 30 or so points off whoever questions it. They learn there is a penalty to asking such questions, and thus the status quo is maintained. Similarly, exercising well thought-out independent thinking backed up by solid argument is also frowned upon, when it does not align with the most popular opinions, since the neg rep system is often used in lieu of an actual reasoned response when someone disagrees. The problem is that "popular" does not necessarily mean "right".

For someone seeking that array of green gems, the best advice would be to never speak your mind, pander to majority opinion, make silly jokes instead of serious input (including on otherwise serious threads), keep posts dumbed down, and form partisan alliances with those who also have big numbers of gems for the purposes of circle repping (as far as the current system allows).
    Hit nail on the head there.

<3 x
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not sure what I keep saying to get negative rep, I've had loads!! :eek:

I may 'talk' a bit proper but I promise I'm actually nice & genuinely want to help people Not sure I actually like seeing who gives them either, it's quite depressing!!

I am genuinely trying to help, I am not even that well spoken verbally; I am actually quite scouse, but I don't know how to write other than the way I do. So, anyway, I'm sorry if I am offending anyone, I'm on here to meet others who are like me & to join in the community. I also know that I can be opinionated at times, but I never force my opinions on people.

Really shocked & very gutted that I am coming across badly, I am totally excited by this forum; I feel relieved that others are experiencing all that I am & I really enjoy & feel inspired by everyone's stories.

Maybe someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong so I can work on it? I really have no idea
    You're whiny, solipsistic, and egotist comment makes me think you deserve your "neg" reps.

Who cares anyway? Reality is far more important than some pathetic internet rating system.
Updated: April 7, 2012
New on TSR

Student crowdfunds degree

Graduate raises £26,000 online for Masters course

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.