Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Warning to new drivers. Words of wisdom.

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Examiner I had for my DSA test didn't really say much - not unfriendly, just a quiet chap.

I'd say there's benefit in chatting, as you'll relax and so will the examiner - when I did a works driving assessment to drive their vehicles, the assessor kicked off straight away with a chat which was good considering I hadn't driven round the area a huge amount. But each to their own!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Really, I found talking to the examiner really helpful during the test.
    We were driving down the road and she asked me what I did in my spare time and I spoke about college and my part time job for a bit and then we ended up just talking about our pets and how she had a couple of cats from rescue homes.
    It was a lot better than driving in silence as it felt a lot more like how you actually drive after you pass your test, and I was used to my instructor speaking throughout every lesson.

I passed my test first time but I really think that was due to the examiner talking to me during the whole test and putting me at ease - She acted as more of a friend rather than an examiner, so it felt like I was driving normally, rather than being judged the whole time.

Though she did keep quiet during important bits, like the reverse left that I had to do for the manoeuvre.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    That's the worst piece of advice ever, you shouldn't be rude to your examiner :lol:

Before I took my test my instructor said if I didn't want to chat on my test then I still reply politely, but don't actively try to make conversation. The examiner will get the message, they've done it many times before, and it's so much better than being rude.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davidmarsh01)
    That's the worst piece of advice ever, you shouldn't be rude to your examiner :lol:

Before I took my test my instructor said if I didn't want to chat on my test then I still reply politely, but don't actively try to make conversation. The examiner will get the message, they've done it many times before, and it's so much better than being rude.
    I wasn't rude at all.

I'm just not one to beat around the bush. You have to say what you want. I wasn't going to start talking to her about what I'd normally be doing on a monday whilst trying to concentrate under strict examining conditions.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tufc)
    The point is that people are less stressed in lessons than in their test, and they're used to chatting away during lessons, so it makes the test feel more like a lesson. I was dead nervous on both my tests until the examiners started talking to me. Then I just chilled out, let go, and drove better. I remember that on my first test, both my majors happened before he started chatting.
    Mm, definitely. I failed with an examiner who said barely a thing (wouldn't even repeat directions!!). Passed with a guy who was really chatty and really put me at ease.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tufc)
    To be honest, I think conversation helps. It helps break down the barrier, and make things less tense. Most people chat to their instructors, so I think it helps to create a more friendly atmosphere, more akin to a lesson.
    I agree.
    It helps to make things less tense and awkward. The examiner is only trying to be friendly. You would talk to your instructor in driving lessons, and you would talk to your passengers in the car when driving round with them, so whats the difference. If you are capable of passing your driving test, then you are capable of passing it, regardless of whether you are talking to the examiner or not.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I ended up making small talk with my examiner, as I found the silence too awkward. He wasn't very talkative, so I just left it.

One thing I remember was that I had to tell him that I knew the area was a 20MPH zone, as some pikey had stolen the sign! Luckily I knew the area though.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I chatted away to my instructor for the entire test. We talked about the local area, things we passed as I drove etc. It helped me relax, as I was always chatting away to my instructor, so it made it feel more like a lesson.

Each to their own, I say.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well when I failed my first exam it was due to feeling a bad vibe from the examiner, in a way. He wouldn't talk much. My next examiner was so funny and telling jokes and it really made me feel relaxed.

Examiners, who are good, in my opinion, talk to you to relax you and take away some of the pressue. You seem like the type of person who would count their change and moan if you were a penny short.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypercaine.)
    Everyone I know, majority of whom passed first time, said they had a good chat with the examiner and they were really nice people, obviously they were quite surprised at the fact they had a conversation with them.
    If you cant talk and drive theres something wrong with you, obviously theres situations where you might stop speaking to concentrate on something but generally I really dont see a problem.
    agreed with this and im still learning.

Ive done 7 hours and yesterday myself and the instructor were having a chat.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I screwed up the first time because my instructor was sitting in the back and the woman testing me was poker facing me all the time. It was weird because I always talked to my instructor.

The second time I was talking to the guy testing me. For the last 10/15 minutes he had his pen and clipboard just resting on his lap as we talked about MMA. He only changed the subject to tell me when to turn.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomas x)
    When you take your driving test don't let the examiner put you off.

When I was doing mine, as you do, happily driving down the road...

"So Tom, what would you normally be doing on a Monday afternoon?" :mad:

I turned round to her and politely, but strictly said, "Sorry, I'm trying to drive here".

Honestly. Who needs that when you're trying to concentrate.

It will also show you're serious. I did hesitate for a second and thought, do I get into a conversation and risk losing concentration.

Not worth the risk gang.

If anyone else has tips then put them in here. I told my driving instructor after I'd passed and he laughed.
    I got asked the same question on mine. I replied with 'I'd normally be sticking the body I just dissected in the boot of my car' ready to go on a lesson and hide it.

Needless to say I pass my test first time which was lucky for her as it could have all went so horribly wrong.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 12, 2012
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Spooky tales from this year's fright night

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.