Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Warning to new drivers. Words of wisdom.

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    When you take your driving test don't let the examiner put you off.

When I was doing mine, as you do, happily driving down the road...

"So Tom, what would you normally be doing on a Monday afternoon?" :mad:

I turned round to her and politely, but strictly said, "Sorry, I'm trying to drive here".

Honestly. Who needs that when you're trying to concentrate.

It will also show you're serious. I did hesitate for a second and thought, do I get into a conversation and risk losing concentration.

Not worth the risk gang.

If anyone else has tips then put them in here. I told my driving instructor after I'd passed and he laughed.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    think we also want to stay on their good side...
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    They do that to try and relax you.
    I was told after I passed, that even though he was trying to talk to me, I wasn't relaxing, and he was right, I wasn't. I was on edge on every test I took.
    I do suffer from anxiousness though.
    For example, I've been working at the same place now for 6 years, and still pretty much suffer from anxiousness every day, which comes and goes.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, well, have a conversation before you set off.

Do you really want to get into a full blown conversation when you are trying to concentrate?

I don't think it is personally a good idea.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, I think conversation helps. It helps break down the barrier, and make things less tense. Most people chat to their instructors, so I think it helps to create a more friendly atmosphere, more akin to a lesson.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomas x)
    Yeah, well, have a conversation before you set off.

Do you really want to get into a full blown conversation when you are trying to concentrate?

I don't think it is personally a good idea.
    Yes. Over-concentration is generally the cause of people failing. Just relax, and the less you think about it, the more instinctive it will be. And if you're ready to pass, you should be able to do it instinctively. Over-concentrating just leads to mistakes.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tufc)
    To be honest, I think conversation helps. It helps break down the barrier, and make things less tense. Most people chat to their instructors, so I think it helps to create a more friendly atmosphere, more akin to a lesson.
    But you won't be fully focused on driving if you're chatting with your examiner.

Your instructor can't fail you.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    On my third driving test the examiner talked to me and it put me at ease, out of 3 attempts its the one I passed so I guess for me it worked.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    But you won't be fully focused on driving if you're chatting with your examiner.

Your instructor can't fail you.
    The point is that people are less stressed in lessons than in their test, and they're used to chatting away during lessons, so it makes the test feel more like a lesson. I was dead nervous on both my tests until the examiners started talking to me. Then I just chilled out, let go, and drove better. I remember that on my first test, both my majors happened before he started chatting.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    When you take your driving test don't let the examiner put you off.

When I was doing mine, as you do, happily driving down the road...

"So Tom, what would you normally be doing on a Monday afternoon?" :mad:

I turned round to her and politely, but strictly said, "Sorry, I'm trying to drive here".

Honestly. Who needs that when you're trying to concentrate.

It will also show you're serious. I did hesitate for a second and thought, do I get into a conversation and risk losing concentration.

Not worth the risk gang.

If anyone else has tips then put them in here. I told my driving instructor after I'd passed and he laughed.

Genuinely one of the worst piece of advice I have ever heard/seen in my life. What the examiner was trying to do was to make you feel more comfortable and you did the entire opposite. Out of curiosity, did you pass first time?

My advice would be to talk to them. It will feel more natural and take your mind off the fact that you are being examined. You're much more likely to make a mistake when you're thinking about making a mistake. The key is to remain calm at all times. If you're not ready to take your test, you wouldn't be there. Have faith in your ability

A little motivational clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaIvk1cSyG8
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    You cannot say that is true for everyone.

I had a chat with my examiner on my test and I passed first time. For me, it was like a normal drive!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Everyone I know, majority of whom passed first time, said they had a good chat with the examiner and they were really nice people, obviously they were quite surprised at the fact they had a conversation with them.
    If you cant talk and drive theres something wrong with you, obviously theres situations where you might stop speaking to concentrate on something but generally I really dont see a problem.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry too much about it. If you fail, you can always try again. It isn't the end of the world.

But I chatted to my examiner the whole time, made it feel like a normal driving lesson. He was even impressed with my reverse bay parking since there was an obstruction in the way and I managed to get the car in easily. I remember him telling me to use the disabled bays instead of the test bays since there was an obstruction after I started the maneourve and I was anxious to finish the test.

Passed first time with 3 minors. I couldn't reverse around a corner then, and I have never ever used it after I passed.

P.S. You'll be screwed with passengers in your car or with the radio on if you need to concentrate. Tbh, I think that instructors should teach you once with distractions in the car (i.e. radio on).
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I thought the point was that a lot of people will end up having conversations while driving anyway, so they want to make sure you can drive at the same time
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i havnt taken my test yet hoping to soon

there is a little bit of chitchat at the start of my driving lesson with my instructor and a bit towards the end .. or whenever there is a red light. mostly its just driving and the odd word swapped back and fourth. its quiet but comfortable

maybe if i had a female instructor it would be different but i have a male one. im happy and relaxed though thats all that matters.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think you were fortunate to pass having taken your eyes off the road for so long.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you can't drive while chatting then you shouldn't be on the road...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Mine asked me where i was from, I told him.

I asked where he was from, he said the West midlands.

After that I didn't bother -_-
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes I passed first time.

It's a test so for me I'd rather not talk.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camoxide)
    If you can't drive while chatting then you shouldn't be on the road...
    The big difference is that it's an examination.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 12, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.