The Student Room Group

What do you Brits have against Americans?

Scroll to see replies

The fact that you call football as socer!

shame.
Reply 181
Original post by Jimbo1234
Yes, no country is perfect.

But we are xenophobic and racist. If you want to use the Empire as an example, just think about how we treated the natives of these countries. Now think about how all of todays media portrays every Muslim as a man wearing a cap and beard, or a woman wearing a headscarf and how both want to rape children and take over our country. That is such utter racist bull**** it is infuriating....but many people believe it.

Ok first off don't use we.

You might be a xenophobe and a racist but the vast majority of British people are very tolerant of other cultures. This Islamophobia that you are peddling only exists in newspapers because it sells. If you look at any school where there is a mix of white British and Pakistani british, Indian British, African British, regardless of their religion or background they will have social groups containing all of the above and more. In primary my best friend was a Christian south african, and in secondary was a British Indian muslim.

Britain has a huge level of inclusion and tolerance of other cultures.

Don't label my Britain, the one with tolerance and community as your racist xenophobic image of it. Because what you are describing doesn't exist outside of news rooms.
Original post by Enigma.
Ok first off don't use we.

You might be a xenophobe and a racist but the vast majority of British people are very tolerant of other cultures. This Islamophobia that you are peddling only exists in newspapers because it sells. If you look at any school where there is a mix of white British and Pakistani british, Indian British, African British, regardless of their religion or background they will have social groups containing all of the above and more. In primary my best friend was a Christian south african, and in secondary was a British Indian muslim.

Britain has a huge level of inclusion and tolerance of other cultures.

Don't label my Britain, the one with tolerance and community as your racist xenophobic image of it. Because what you are describing doesn't exist outside of news rooms.

Ha! What rubbish.
I don't care where someone is from, but British people do. To say most are "very tolerant" is beyond delusional.
Have you ever heard of the North? You know, that place where you don't get the rainbow classroom? :rolleyes:
it is hilarious that you think racism only exists in papers. Do you know why they sell? Because people agree! Even though it is all sensationalist crap, many people will look down on Muslims, blacks etc. I have seen it happen time and time again, but of course I must have been dreaming because we live in a ****ing cosmopolitan utopia according to you.
Reply 183
Ha! What rubbish.
I don't care where someone is from, but British people do. To say most are "very tolerant" is beyond delusional.
Have you ever heard of the North? You know, that place where you don't get the rainbow classroom? :rolleyes:
it is hilarious that you think racism only exists in papers. Do you know why they sell? Because people agree! Even though it is all sensationalist crap, many people will look down on Muslims, blacks etc. I have seen it happen time and time again, but of course I must have been dreaming because we live in a ****ing cosmopolitan utopia according to you.

Yeah I'm from the North... Good one. And yeah, there are a lot of people from other cultures up north. Try visiting once in a while. And you've seen it time and time again? Last time I walked through a street I didn't see lynch mobs for blacks or pakistanis or KKK rallies or anything that even remotely implies racism. Bradford is jovially referred to by some as Bradistan because it has a huge number of people who originated from different cultures. It's a northern city. Cosmopolitan utopia? I'm not describing some kind of New World Order society where we are all some kind of multi ethnic cult.

I'm saying that the British are tolerant of other peoples cultures. Compare the Brits to say.... North Korea.

What the hell are you smoking?
Reply 184
Ha! What rubbish.

Oh and with the rainbow classroom point. In my class alone we had 2 chinese, a person originating from mauritius, someone from saudi arabia, a kenyan and then many who you'd consider white british. And we weren't the 'ethnic class' It's normal to see a mix of students involved. Because some people are big enough to look past a skin colour to see a useful quality like hmmmm intelligence maybe?
Haha just typed 'I hate the British' into Google; this is an extract from some Brussels newspaper on English holidaymakers... so depressingly true :frown:

“The Huns are back, and they speak English with a variety of invariably common accents. No other nation manages to spoil other people’s holidays so thoroughly as the British. They do that all through the summer everywhere the sun shines with their unique mixture of wantonness and arrogance, their pathetic addiction to drink, their bad taste, and actually just their ugliness and thickheaded presence. There, that is a relief.

“With melancholy we think back to the days when the Dutch were most in evidence, with their caravans, their noisy children and their legendary stinginess. Or the Germans, who once on holiday, seemed to forget who had lost the war. Our northern and eastern neighbours are discerning aesthetes compared with the born hooligans from the other side of the Channel.

“Luckily it is easy to recognise a Brit on holiday. A clean shaven head with a much too big and cheap pair of sunglasses; a sunburnt bull’s neck; a set of disgusting tattoos across his torso if it is not covered with a football shirt of Manchester United, Chelsea or Celtic Glasgow; a half liter of beer always on hand. The lady in the company divides her attention between the whining children and the curtain that she got mixed up with the tops in her wardrobe while packing. Anyone who has seen a British couple on holiday understands why the English papers are filled with dramatic stories about binge drinking, obesity and teen-age pregnancies.

“The trend of hooligan tourism is not new. The British have singlehandedly ruined the Spanish island Ibiza, in Greece they wrecked Faliraki and with all the British drinking and fighting Corfu is well on its way to disappearing into the sea like the mythical city of Atlantis. What is new is that the British who stay behind in and around London seem to be aware that something is wrong. The British quality papers run almost weekly stories on how their countrymen carry on in southern Europe. An Ibiza club owner is allowed to relate how the British destroyed the tourist industry with their drink and drugs abuse. There are reprints of front pages from Greek newspapers that show Brits licking whipped cream of the bosoms of their summer girlfriends on the beach.

“We need a solution. How about that the British tell the rest of the world in May or June which beach or island they intend to wreck this year so that we know where to keep away from? Are the Brits going to Majorca or Crete this year? Then we are off to Sicily or Cyprus. Then everybody will be happy.”
Original post by Alofleicester
1) Neither does federal government in the US, and only 6 of 50 states allow marriage. So, err, yeah - your country doesn't allow same-sex marriage either.
2) No it's not banter. You've got a bit of a history of being flag-waving racists.
3) So your argument is: You used to do it, so it's fine for us to **** the world over? No offence, but that is one of the most retarded processes of logic I've ever heard.
4) They certainly speak loudest chap.
5) Perfect Country? perfect example of over-patriotism, your country is far from perfect.

1) My retarded logic? 6/50 states isn't the entire country, Genius.
2) KKK was our nation's police force. We couldn't have our slaves running around without masters D:
3)No, you're an idiot. You're country screwed up the world, and now that there's a country stronger than yours and continues to take advantage of the world, people decide to get pissed.
4) Yeah, just like how the '1%' of Muslims are "explosive" they speak for everyone.
5) Haha, please. You couldn't name one country more perfect than ours.
Original post by Bloodrazor
1) My retarded logic? 6/50 states isn't the entire country, Genius.
2) KKK was our nation's police force. We couldn't have our slaves running around without masters D:
3)No, you're an idiot. You're country screwed up the world, and now that there's a country stronger than yours and continues to take advantage of the world, people decide to get pissed.
4) Yeah, just like how the '1%' of Muslims are "explosive" they speak for everyone.
5) Haha, please. You couldn't name one country more perfect than ours.

1) :toofunny: - and you wonder why people think Americans are dumb. 6 out of 50 is, y'know, a pretty small minority, and your central government in Washington doesn't recognise these marriages.
2) So in other words, you are a bunch of backward hicks who believe slavery is just a-okay?
3) The UK ****ed the world up a bit, but now pay attention - That. Does. NOT. Give. You. The. Right. To. Do. So. As. Well. K? K.
4) Of course, the % of fundamentalist Christians in the US is a fair bit higher than 1% now isn't it?
5) Germany, Japan, South Korea, Holland - you want me to continue or do you get the message?
Reply 188
Well, I'm not English but have lived in the UK and share the common European (continental lol) view on America and Americans.

I think the main reason why Europeans (yes, it's not just the English) dislike Americans are because of American politics and its impact. In my opinion, a country where the a party with values like the Republican party is so big is an awful country in my opinion. Not to mention the death penalty. The way religion integrates so much of American society is another massive problem with America in my opinion. As well as the lack of interest in other countries (excluding the Americans who actually go abroad to learn about other cultures), which I, as someone who doesn't have English as a native language, find unacceptable - Americans can even read foreign news in the own language, something I can't. However, the ways of America wouldn't really bother me if it didn't affect the rest of the world, but unfortunately it does - big time. Hence my open dislike for your country.

That said, even though America is one of the few countries I would never, ever, live in (and yes, I've visited it a number of times), I obviously realize that all Americans aren't like that and I would never treat an American badly for it. In fact, I've got plenty of American friends, both in the UK, Sweden and Germany. Obviously, if they made the effort to come over to Europe, they can't be ignorant of other cultures, and most Americans who go abroad are thankfully neither religious nor republican.
Reply 189
Original post by andrea.g
Well, I'm not English but have lived in the UK and share the common European (continental lol) view on America and Americans.

I think the main reason why Europeans (yes, it's not just the English) dislike Americans are because of American politics and its impact. In my opinion, a country where the a party with values like the Republican party is so big is an awful country in my opinion. Not to mention the death penalty. The way religion integrates so much of American society is another massive problem with America in my opinion. As well as the lack of interest in other countries (excluding the Americans who actually go abroad to learn about other cultures), which I, as someone who doesn't have English as a native language, find unacceptable - Americans can even read foreign news in the own language, something I can't. However, the ways of America wouldn't really bother me if it didn't affect the rest of the world, but unfortunately it does - big time. Hence my open dislike for your country.

That said, even though America is one of the few countries I would never, ever, live in (and yes, I've visited it a number of times), I obviously realize that all Americans aren't like that and I would never treat an American badly for it. In fact, I've got plenty of American friends, both in the UK, Sweden and Germany. Obviously, if they made the effort to come over to Europe, they can't be ignorant of other cultures, and most Americans who go abroad are thankfully neither religious nor republican.

Completely off topic but I thought I'd just say that if English isn't your first language then you've definitely got to be commended on your ability to command it so well. This isn't much of a compliment seeing as I'm dyslexic but you can honestly use the written language better than I can..

Back on topic. American society is just a bit too much silliness for us Europeans.
Reply 190
Thanks, that's kind of you.

Original post by travoot
Completely off topic but I thought I'd just say that if English isn't your first language then you've definitely got to be commended on your ability to command it so well. This isn't much of a compliment seeing as I'm dyslexic but you can honestly use the written language better than I can..

Back on topic. American society is just a bit too much silliness for us Europeans.
Original post by Enigma.
Oh and with the rainbow classroom point. In my class alone we had 2 chinese, a person originating from mauritius, someone from saudi arabia, a kenyan and then many who you'd consider white british. And we weren't the 'ethnic class' It's normal to see a mix of students involved. Because some people are big enough to look past a skin colour to see a useful quality like hmmmm intelligence maybe?

Original post by Enigma.
Yeah I'm from the North... Good one. And yeah, there are a lot of people from other cultures up north. Try visiting once in a while. And you've seen it time and time again? Last time I walked through a street I didn't see lynch mobs for blacks or pakistanis or KKK rallies or anything that even remotely implies racism. Bradford is jovially referred to by some as Bradistan because it has a huge number of people who originated from different cultures. It's a northern city. Cosmopolitan utopia? I'm not describing some kind of New World Order society where we are all some kind of multi ethnic cult.

I'm saying that the British are tolerant of other peoples cultures. Compare the Brits to say.... North Korea.

What the hell are you smoking?

Well in my area you might have a few ethnic children per 200 pupils if you were lucky.
I'm sorry, where in the North outside of cities is this cosmopolitan are you speak of? In the North East, Yorkshire, the North West? :giggle:

You will see lynch mobs if you go to the right areas (very rough areas), but I doubt you will have travelled as much as myself.

Why the **** are you comparing Britain to North Korea? Oh right, you are doing that stupid British trait of comparing the UK to the worst possible country rather than another western country :facepalm2:
Reply 192
Well in my area you might have a few ethnic children per 200 pupils if you were lucky.
I'm sorry, where in the North outside of cities is this cosmopolitan are you speak of? In the North East, Yorkshire, the North West? :giggle:

You will see lynch mobs if you go to the right areas (very rough areas), but I doubt you will have travelled as much as myself.

Why the **** are you comparing Britain to North Korea? Oh right, you are doing that stupid British trait of comparing the UK to the worst possible country rather than another western country :facepalm2:

Ok the North to France. We havent got a ban on face scarves for a start. And countryside, cities, makes no difference. Im from the North West. So I can vouch for here. And no you wont see lynch mobs. groups maybe. Armed lynch mobs...no. You can make any comparison you want. Your point is still invalid for every part of the UK. All of it. Except for maybe the all white estate you live on. Because you're an EDL member?

And my dad grew up in a rough part of South Yorkshire, same situation there. Loads of people of asian descent.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 193

Where do you live..... 19th century Alabama?

This idea you have of everybody hating other races and people walking through the streets in racial gangs... doesn't exist outside your head mate. :tongue:
Original post by Enigma.
Ok the North to France. We havent got a ban on face scarves for a start. And countryside, cities, makes no difference. Im from the North West. So I can vouch for here. And no you wont see lynch mobs. groups maybe. Armed lynch mobs...no. You can make any comparison you want. Your point is still invalid for every part of the UK. All of it. Except for maybe the all white estate you live on. Because you're an EDL member?

And my dad grew up in a rough part of South Yorkshire, same situation there. Loads of people of asian descent.

Original post by Enigma.
Where do you live..... 19th century Alabama?

This idea you have of everybody hating other races and people walking through the streets in racial gangs... doesn't exist outside your head mate. :tongue:

Welling seeing that the North West has the whitest constituency in the UK, you sir are full of ****. When I lived in York for 4 years, seeing a coloured face that was not a tourist was very rare, so yet again, you are either a liar or lived in some very abnormal place.

Who mentioned racial hate gangs?
You, not me :rolleyes:
Stop purposefully exaggeration my point in order to make a strawman argument.
Reply 195

What country in the world is cosmopolitan outside of cities?
Reply 196
Original post by Oli-Ol
No it wasn't, you just don't understand English humour yet.

In England it is funny to wryly insult yourself, your friends and your country. Americans take themselves far too seriously for this to be the case. They were probably being friendly.

And yes, often it is very difficult to work out whether someone is actually insulting you or whether they're being affectionate. Often they'll be both. For example, I have a friend who frequently tells me I have no social skills/ that I always say the wrong thing.

Is she joking? Yes. Is it true? Also yes. Is it sometimes a little close to the mark? Definitely. That's a form of humour here.

This made me smile. Do you really think sarcasm and wry insults are unique only to England? That it's some elusive form of humor that you'd have to explain to an American?

That's a form of humor. Not an English form of humor.
Original post by tite23
This made me smile. Do you really think sarcasm and wry insults are unique only to England? That it's some elusive form of humor that you'd have to explain to an American?

I beg to differ. It's painful watching American audiences watching some of our comedians. Here they get immediate responses, in America it takes them a while to get it.
Original post by tite23

Unique to England, no. But it's true that sarcasm and dry humour - which is a staple of many British comedy series and films - does go over American audiences' heads a lot of the time. Watch any English comedian do a comedy programme over in America - the audience barely react. It's really odd, but that's not to say that every American doesn't get it. Just that American comedy is seen as more slapstick than English, and that it takes a while to get used to our own comedy.
Original post by Alofleicester
1) :toofunny: - and you wonder why people think Americans are dumb. 6 out of 50 is, y'know, a pretty small minority, and your central government in Washington doesn't recognise these marriages.
2) So in other words, you are a bunch of backward hicks who believe slavery is just a-okay?
3) The UK ****ed the world up a bit, but now pay attention - That. Does. NOT. Give. You. The. Right. To. Do. So. As. Well. K? K.
4) Of course, the % of fundamentalist Christians in the US is a fair bit higher than 1% now isn't it?
5) Germany, Japan, South Korea, Holland - you want me to continue or do you get the message?

1) Wow, I'm glad you have a head. Clearly 6/50 = 0/50. Glad to know Britain has caught up in Math.
2) Well yes. Just like how Britain is America's slave.
3) Haha, just a tad "bit". Well good sir, Why the hell not? Since we're better than all of you, we might as well help you out. For our benefit of course
4) I won't disagree with that. It's like 1.1%. With the backing of our Evangelical Republican society it's pretty cool. It's still legal to lynch people here. Cept we just call it death penalty ofc.
5)*claps*
Nazi's, xenophobes, nuke targets and relatively useless country. Better than America? Haha please.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending