The Student Room Group

What do you Brits have against Americans?

Scroll to see replies

Im from Britan and I think that the problem is that lots British people are very sensitive over 'the British stereotype' and really take it to heart. Therefore they think that you have this idea of them and they feel like they need to eliminate this idea from you or 'fight back' with the American stereotype or just make you feel stupid which is very ignorant of them.

We have A LOT of American tv in britan which is quite a big influence in our lives/the media/ect so I think that we feel that we know all about you and what your impression of us is, (aka: when a american tv show stars the hugh grant type: uptight British character, who comes to steal the girl from the american guy who cant compare to the rich, high life james bond guy who has come to whisk his dream girl away back to england to live with him forever. Oh dont forget the must see special fun episode in London with the obvious-loony-dick-van-dyke-taxi-driver and the important 5 second cameo appearance from the back of an elderly woman dressed in a grey wig and a crown stroking a corgi muttering something in a accent which is supposed to make her sound like the queen.)

I know that most of these stereotypes are supposed to be a joke and all but seriously, alot of britih people don't understand that at all and are very sensitive about it.

They (the twatty british guys who are total dicks btw for saying that to you guys) probably assume that you have this impression of the 'British stereotype' of them and will get very primitive (like a caveman lets just say) and suddenly go into "Group of Americans approaching - scare them back to America" mode and will start talking ****. And for that I'm very sorry.

There's no denying you will get extra attention from people here (whether it's good or bad)

But don't worry, it's probably going to be little things like the suprise of people when they hear an American accent and ask you where your from everyday or when your just walking down the street talking to someone people will turn their heads to see the diffrent accent from the norm british accent we hear everyday. But to me, and maybe lots of others, I love it when I hear a foreign accent. Not because I love the accent, but really I feel happy that foreigners or Americans for your case, take an intrest in Britan and have come to see it and explore where we live and our culture which to us is a little boring but to you, it's great.

In London, it's not as suprising when you hear different accents and see different because obviously London is a big central city, and is very diverse so in London you would probably feel more accepted as people living in London wouldn't really be as suprised to know you came from a different country.

Anway Just remember, not all british people are like that, people like me love americans and find them friendly, interesting and love to get to know them.

So personally, I think you will have those moments from people but really deep down they are just jealous and there are other nicer people here who will really like you :smile:
I think you've got to grow a thicker sink or your undergrad is going to be nothing more than three years of butt hurt.
Actually, I think it's the other way around, personally.
What do you Brits have against Americans?

:biggrin:
For all your bitching...all i can say is, would you Brits rather rely on the Russians as your greatest ally :hahaha:?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending