The Student Room Group

What do you Brits have against Americans?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by Bloodrazor
yeah totally.

It's too difficult to distinguish between a Brooklyn accent and a southern accent.

And see my other post bro, I don't want to offend Scots and Irish people, their accents are pretty raw.

True my accent is really strong, took my English friends ages to understand me
Original post by Clumsy_Chemist
I have the complete opposite opinion. All my foreign friends agree, Britain has more variety in accent and dialect, given its small size, than most countries. I'm sure there are many American accents that I can't recognise, but I assure you: there are a ridiculous number of individual accents within the UK.

I affirmed that. Personally, they all sound similar though.
Reply 102
i think they are jealous of us
Original post by Muscovite
tbh they both sound very similar to be honest - all American accents have the same nasally style to them and pronounce things the same.

Isn't that what I said?
Reply 104
Original post by sucess

i know for sure. especially when they are so bitter about not being a superpower anymore
Original post by Danen
i know for sure. especially when they are so bitter about not being a superpower anymore

LOL. That's quite a slap.

TBH, I wanna see Britain and Israel go down. I bet even Israel is a better Superpower than UK.
Original post by languagelover
I'd say there are the same amount of stereotypes from Americans for us e.g. bad teeth

Obviously jealous because we have the best teeth in the world.

No really
Original post by cokeke2
i think that the problem that people have with Americans is the perception that many genuinely believe that they live in "the best country in the world" (which is often quoted at their highly expensive political rallies). I think many other nations find this paticularly annoying/arrogant/ignorant etc i.e. they do not recognise their own faults. I know this comment is slightly ironic as it is a massive generalisation however i do think it is justified as many americans i have met whilst travelling there and whom i read about in political magazines actually say things like this. i would like to add that i have met many americans who aren't like this at all (but i would say that they are the lesser proportion)

on the other hand, the british are far more reserved and they recognise their faults (many of which you have mentioned). this is why british comedy is said to be one of the best in the world as they are better able to make fun of their own society without audiences becoming offended. (if you watch american comedy you will find that although it is very funny, it rarely pushes the limit)

I see your point, but your part about the UK is just crap :s-smilie:

Some Americans are arrogant, some are not. Everyone I have met has not been arrogant and are fully aware of the problems America has, however every American I have met has also been intelligent.

As for the UK, we have to be one of the worst countries for living in denial! If you mention about how the NHS is awful, people shout " well at least is it is free and could be worse". You mention the dire political system, and yet again you are met with the retort of "it could be worse".
This is how the UK works. People here compare this country to the worst in the world, not the best. They compare the UK to places like Somalia rather than other developed nations. Just look at how every UK based drama is set in very poor areas.

Why does the UK think like this?
Because it is easy. It means that everyone in the UK ignores the faults as that is the easiest things to do. Most British also think that the UK is far superior to every EU nation which shows how delusional and ignorant they are.
LOL. That's quite a slap.

TBH, I wanna see Britain and Israel go down. I bet even Israel is a better Superpower than UK.

But we all know America won't let it be a fair fight as they believe they have a right to get involved in everybody's business
Original post by littleangel9914
But we all know America won't let it be a fair fight as they believe they have a right to get involved in everybody's business

But America allies with them both...
I affirmed that. Personally, they all sound similar though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A08D4l8pUzE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dc2cbkRFQT4&feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-U7wFmFQcw

you seriously think those accents sound similar (scouse-from liverpool, RP accent, geordie newcastle).....and i could have chosen much stronger accents, just couldn't find any good ones of youtube off the top of my head.
Reply 111
Original post by Clumsy_Chemist
I have the complete opposite opinion. All my foreign friends agree, Britain has more variety in accent and dialect, given its small size, than most countries. I'm sure there are many American accents that I can't recognise, but I assure you: there are a ridiculous number of individual accents within the UK.

This ^ There's an American guy on my course who says he doesn't understand how we can have so many accents and all sound so different in such a tiny country.
Original post by bananaterracottapie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A08D4l8pUzE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dc2cbkRFQT4&feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-U7wFmFQcw

you seriously think those accents sound similar (scouse-from liverpool, RP accent, geordie newcastle).....and i could have chosen much stronger accents, just couldn't find any good ones of youtube off the top of my head.

Yes they do, the first guy has a lisp or at least that's what it sounds like, but otherwise they all sound the same lol.
Original post by emcero
This ^ There's an American guy on my course who says he doesn't understand how we can have so many accents and all sound so different in such a tiny country.

But American's are stupid.
Reply 113
Yes they do, the first guy has a lisp or at least that's what it sounds like, but otherwise they all sound the same lol.

Right, well I'm not sure how anyones intellect reflects their ability to hear and decipher different accents?
Eh, I actually quite like American people, I met an American girls on a coach who was awesome. I just can't stand your government.
Original post by sucess

Really? :eek: Americans are the second fattest industrialized nation per capita.americans act like the world revolves around them. america is the world’s largest single emitter of carbon dioxide. your 'attempts to spread democracy worldwide, intended to let others enjoy the same freedoms and advantages that you have', sometimes result in innocent people dying:mad:
though america has great music, movies etc. your country still has flaws, big flaws. so no we are not jelous :rolleyes: we look down to you because we are better than you in some prospects :cool: just as you are better than us.
you should think about the cons just as much you think about the pros and vice versa.

lol fair enough, thats you're opinion although i definitely detect no "lisp" .
@emcero: No, the person's puny brain was blasted hearing 2 different accents.

British people are soooo jealous of America.

Every country is.
Reply 118
@emcero: No, the person's puny brain was blasted hearing 2 different accents.

British people are soooo jealous of America.

Every country is.

I don't really understand your angle, you insult America and then say that the British are jealous. Unless you're being sarcastic and I'm not picking up on it?

And you probably shouldn't be derogatory about individuals that you don't know, as all you're doing is making mass generalisations and lending weight to the OP's claim.
Britain is jealous of a stupid country.

win-win?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending